If you could watch ONE more movie before you died...

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What would you pick? I just asked myself this question, after staring at my shelves of movies and trying to pick out which one to watch. I decided on "Say Anything". :smile: I'm secretly in love with John Cusack.

Rudy, I love that movie. :cool:

That's a good one! I cry every time I watch it. *sigh*

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I'm not sure that there are any I'd want to watch before my passing. While I've had various favourites over the years(while favourites, they weren't necessarily good movies), I don't think I've ever seen a movie which genuinely blew me away. I've never finished watching a film and simply muttered to myself, "wow."

If I had to choose something right now it would probably be Fight Club or something - a bit of a mindfuck movie.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just one???!

Since I'd know I was going to die, I'd want something that isn't going to be a "downer"....so I'd pick...

Hairspray - the original version, with Ricki Lake and Divine.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Can I can the movie and fuck for 2 hours instead? No?

Do I actually have to die after the movie? Or do I get to live out my life but only ever see one movie again?

In the first case - then "Cure for Insomnia" - not cos I like it, hell, I've never seen it - but it is 60 hours long - so I get lots of time to set my mind straight before I die! :tongue:

In the second case - um, er, oh.. the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Funny, poignant, bit of action, Clint... all the good things :biggrin:

The Passion of Joan of Arc.

The most singular example of what the power of film can do. It is so completely in its own league that no one has even attempted to duplicate Dreyer's technique. Everyone who sees this film, in its restored original, is blown away. The Passion is the greatest film ever made.

Just read a few of the reviews. One of the few films to achieve a complete 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, The Passion leaves everyone reaching for words. Read a few of the reviews and you'll get an idea of just how powerful this film is. I don't think Schindler's List is this visceral.

If it's my last movie then I want to be reminded of just how precious life and love are. Only this film comes close to conveying the essence of that.

Don't let that it is B&W and silent push you away. As the great French director Jean Cocteau famously said it played like ``an historical document from an era in which the cinema didn't exist.'' Everybody who is anybody who has ever made or critiqued or played in cinema knows this film. If there was an Oscar for recognition by every film critic, actor, director, cinematographer, and writer, living or dead, this film would get it. When the greatest minds in all cinema agree on one thing, then that has to give you pause.

After seeing thousands of films I thought I knew a little something about the subject of movies. But I realized two days ago that I didn't know anything--that is until I had seen Carl Theodor Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928). Now a huge gap has been filled.- Jeffrey Anderson

And in other events...

I love Sean Astin. Cute and furry. :wink:

What would you pick? I just asked myself this question, after staring at my shelves of movies and trying to pick out which one to watch. I decided on "Say Anything". :smile: I'm secretly in love with John Cusack.

Rudy, I love that movie. :cool:

That's a good one! I cry every time I watch it. *sigh*

woogexx

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Just one???!

Since I'd know I was going to die, I'd want something that isn't going to be a "downer"....so I'd pick...

Hairspray - the original version, with Ricki Lake and Divine.

good one! id choose the new one tho......jus so i could get some music before i died too...

lafever

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The movie that would best reflect my opinion on life would be Best in Show.
Seriously though i`d be somewhere like the beach, or a mountain peak so i could watch the sunrise and sunset, movies would be the last thing on my mind.

lafever:cool:

The original, private screening of Greed.

It's 9 hours long. I wouldn't mind being late to my own funeral.

You and every other film buff. Thank Irving Thalberg, yes THAT Irving Thalberg in whose name AMPAS (most ironically) gives their highest award :mad:, for destroying what was likely one of the great masterpieces of cinema. Rather than save any of the cut footage, he had it all destroyed. What we have left is a bastardized version cut by a hack editor Thalberg hired after he banned director Erich von Stroheim from the MGM lot (in fairness, von Stroheim did punch Louis B. Mayer in the jaw:eek:). von Stroheim got a little revenge by playing Max in Sunset Boulevard, but unless the editor or someone else defied Thalberg and saved the footage, there won't be any miracles of restoration akin to The Passion of Joan of Arc.

Out of nine hours, only 140 minutes are left. Imagine Lord of the Rings reduced to 140 minutes!

Greed must have been amazing. Virtually every page of the book was committed to the screen and von Stroheim spent millions on authentic sets including dragging the entire production crew to Death Valley in the summer to film the last scenes. Like Dreyer, he chose a famous comedienne, Zasu Pitts, to play the leading female part because he saw something remarkable in the ability of Pitts to play pathos. Her performance (what comparatively little we see) as Trina is remarkable.

A few years ago a trunk full of production stills was found and edited in to the movie in an attempt to give a semblance of what the film was. The running time was expanded to 239 minutes but it's still just a shadow of what Greed appears to have been.