If You Found Out Life Were A Simiulation...

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
...and once having found that out. You couldn't go back into the simulation. But could pick two people to bring out of the simulation with you. Who would you choose? Would you choose anyone at all? What would you do?

For those who may never have heard of this idea/theory/hypothesis.

[ The simulation hypothesis or simulation theory proposes that all of reality, including the Earth and the universe, is in fact an artificial simulation, most likely a computer simulation. Some versions rely on the development of a simulated reality, a proposed technology that would seem realistic enough to convince its inhabitants the simulation was real. The hypothesis has been a central plot device of many science fiction stories and films.

Nick Bostrom's premise:

Many works of science fiction as well as some forecasts by serious technologists and futurologists predict that enormous amounts of computing power will be available in the future. Let us suppose for a moment that these predictions are correct. One thing that later generations might do with their super-powerful computers is run detailed simulations of their forebears or of people like their forebears. Because their computers would be so powerful, they could run a great many such simulations. Suppose that these simulated people are conscious (as they would be if the simulations were sufficiently fine-grained and if a certain quite widely accepted position in the philosophy of mind is correct). Then it could be the case that the vast majority of minds like ours do not belong to the original race but rather to people simulated by the advanced descendants of an original race. ]

So, ladies. What would you do? Would you take two people out of the simulation with you? If so, who?

Found this on reddit and thought it would be interesting to ask.

Reactions: g0nz0

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
Wouldn't that in part rely on how the world outside the simulation is? Better, worse, different???

That was a good portion of my answer when i saw this question. But to further help this weird out of the way discussion. Lets say outside was good/better. What would you do and why? Same goes for worse and neutral. :p

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I'd take Truman for sure if he hadn't already hit the edge of the sea and walked up the stairs.

But barring that my husband and daughter would come along if they wanted. I'm always up for an adventure and always ready for change.

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
Wouldn't that in part rely on how the world outside the simulation is? Better, worse, different???
Well, I'd take Truman for sure if he hadn't already hit the edge of the sea and walked up the stairs.

But barring that my husband and daughter would come along if they wanted. I'm always up for an adventure and always ready for change.

Thanks for the answers ladies but i think i'll stop asking silly questions and put my entire focus on the politics section from now on. Thanks for being silly with me though. :D

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hmm how good is their simulation set up? Like, if they are deeply happy/fulfilled? Damn, yanking them out would not be my first choice. Cuz even if life outside is good, it might not be that good. Not even thinking about the headfuck of knowing your whole life, everything you ever worked for, every accomplishment, everything you define yourself and your life by was nothing more than a fancy app :(

If I know the world was a simulation I pop out so I wouldn't ruin it for anyone else.

Of course, if this is all a simulation? I will find the fuckers responsible for its current state and beat those assbags raw. :mad:

ETA: dude, was a bomb thread. Certainly better for you not asking what size dick we'd want our partners to have in the Matrix ;)

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
Hmm how good is there simulation set up? Like, if they are deeply happy/fulfilled? Damn, yanking them out would not be my first choice. Cuz even if life outside is good, it might not be that good. Not even thinking about the headfuck of knowing your whole life, everything you ever worked for, every accomplishment, everything you define yourself and your life by was nothing more than a fancy app :(

If I know the world was a simulation I pop out so I wouldn't ruin it for anyone else.

Of course, if this is all a simulation? I will find the fuckers responsible for its current state and beat those assbags raw. :mad:

Thanks but could ya'll let this thread die?

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This isn't what lpsg is about though. Could you or another mod do me a favor and delete this thread?

Oh, I'd never do that! I bet if you asked the majority of women they would respond that this is definitely what LPSG is about to us! We take a break from rating the big weenies and gawking at buns and empathizing with the SPH aficionados.

I love "what if" scenarios, personally.

And besides, I can't remove it because it's not against Terms of Service and Rules.

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
@EllieP I didn't want to remove it because the women of the site didn't enjoy it. I had no idea whether women did or didn't. I mean i did misspell things in the title. Can't help a brotha out from slight embarrassment? :p

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That was a good portion of my answer when i saw this question. But to further help this weird out of the way discussion. Lets say outside was good/better. What would you do and why? Same goes for worse and neutral. :p
I know the obvious answer should be to bring my son or my loved ones with me - but would I really live outside (even if better) if I was the only one on the outside?

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
I know the obvious answer should be to bring my son or my loved ones with me - but would I really live outside (even if better) if I was the only one on the outside?

I guess not. My thinking is though that you would have to consider a few things. There are those who even if the outside were better. It might be too much of a shock for.

One thing i forgot to say is that everyone who you do pull out of it also has the ability to pull two more out. Sorry got distracted with other things. :p

So what say you now? :)

spaj8987

Legendary Member
Media
Better or same would seem obvious then - if everything else is equal. As for worse, I think it would be a matter of how much worse.

I do too. My guess is that learning that we were in a simulation would be a bit too much for some to handle. Add on to that the real world being worse in whatever degree and i don't know...i might not pull anyone else out.

I mean ignorance is bliss right. Even if it were only a tad bit worse i highly doubt a number of people could deal with that. So my plan when i read about this, regarding it being worse, is to pick two people who were certainly going to die in the simulation or who were about to have something horrible happen to them in that moment leading to death and pull them out.

My hope would be that since they already felt the worse. They could handle the whole simulation thing.

Same kind of thing goes if the outside were the same or better. If it were better on the outside i would for sure pick those in the most pain. Or who were about to bite the dust. And after i pulled them out. I'd tell them what i learned in the hopes they'd do the same for other people who were about to bite the dust or who were in some sort of pain leading to death.

That's just me though.