If you had the Chimp Attack injuries, would you want to live?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

2. Northland

Gold Member

The will to live is different in each of us and can vary greatly according to where we are in our individual life at the time of a crisis or medical nightmare or any of a number of other things. Additionally, how much love and support a person is given can alter the desire to continue.

Would I want to go on? Hard to tell and hopefully I will never have to suffer the injuries she has and then find out.

3. Incocknito

Gold Member

I would never be in a position where a chimp could attack me. Even if it did, the chimp would get fucked up.

Wild animals are wild animals

4. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Are you sure?
    Chimps are extremely powerful.
    The police officer who shot him was lucky to have had a gun at hand.

5. invisibleman

Gold Member

:eek:mfg:

If ever I get mauled by any animal, euthanize me. That is totally fucked up.

6. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    To think that chimpanzees are our closest living cousins...

I knew orang outangs could turn lethally violent, but I had no clue a chimp could inflict so much damage.

I certainly don't think $150m (assuming the sum she is seeking is awarded to her) will ever offset the loss of quality of life she is enduring.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

that poor woman :frown1::frown1::frown1::frown1::frown1:

it reminds me almost exactly of the Gary Oldman character, Mason Verger, as one of Lecter's two surviving victims in "Hannibal"

sad thing is, her injuries are even more grievous and he still has his eyes, nose and mouth :frown1:

http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/gary_oldman.jpg

8. Flashy

Gold Member

chimps like humans can be wildly violent, and when they hunt colubus monkeys, they take frightful and almost sadistic tribal human-like pleasure in the success of the hunt.

i will never forgot the first time i saw it on the "Trials of Life" volume "hunting and escaping" in 1990, made by David Attenborough.

9. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Pound for pound, chimpanzees are about five times stronger than humans. He or she would fuck you up. :eek:

10. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

How/why was she that close to a giant ape? Even at the zoo I keep my distance.

11. Flashy

Gold Member

she owned it and was its trainer for a couple of decades IIRC

12. D_Gunther Snotpole

Not quite, Flashy.
    The woman who was attacked was a friend of the owner and had come to help the owner get the chimp back inside her house.
    The chimp knew the woman quite well, but she stepped out of her car with a much changed hairstyle ... and perhaps that made her seem unfamiliar and therefore a threat to the chimp.
    (I think this is correct ... that's how I remember the initial news stories anyway.)

13. Flashy

Gold Member

oh (which is why i said IIRC)

i thought that she owned it.

14. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

I'm sorry...WHAT?! Why does a woman own a large chimp? Why do people feel the need to [attempt to] domesticate every animal? It's not really beneficial to anyone, and more importantly, not beneficial to the creature itself (well, I guess that's all really debatable). Leave the creatures be :240:.

15. Viking_UK

Gold Member

Chimps have a history as violent as humans do. They attack their own and other primates often enough, and I think that anyone keeping one as a pet is taking a huge risk.

16. Flashy

Gold Member

i believe he was a chimp from the entertainment industry who had been owned by the trainer for a couple of decades with not trouble

17. D_Gunther Snotpole

Your question is rhetorical, but taking it at face value, the owner, Sandy Herold, had placed Travis, the chimp, in a whole series of television commercials (he was not nearly as effective on radio), work that included such clients as Old Navy and Coca Cola.
    At home, Travis was treated royally. Herold fed him steak, lobster and ice cream. He could dress himself, use the toilet, and was pretty suave with a cab sauv in a wine glass.

Obviously, you're right.
    The sweet little chimps we see on tv are usually in chimp childhood.
    They're sweet and amenable up until puberty, which occurs around the age of seven.
    And then, much like their human cousins, it's look out.
    They have horrific strength and not too much superego.
    Trav was 14.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

I saw her on Oprah and I hate to admit I cringed in horror. :frown1: My next thought was why did they save her? I also didn't realize until today that she had lost both hands in the attack. :yikes: My soul aches for her and her daughter. I can't begin to comprehend the complete and utter pain she has endured and will continue to endure while in treatment.

My guess is that because she has a teenage daughter, and is a single mom that is what has given her the courage to survive.

May God bless her and her physicians, nurses, and caregivers.

$150 million? That's it?!?! :mad: That won't even cover her medical bills to date.
    This is America, all cops carry guns. :cool: If she had been in Texas or Georgia one of the neighbors would have shot the beast before the cops could get there.

I seem to recall hearing it that way as well.

Because people are STUPID! I have long been against the idea of exotic animals, reptiles, birds, etc. as pets. I have no problem with dogs, cats, rabbits, gerbils, hamsters, or guinea pigs. However, if you can find it in the zoo, a park, a dark alley, or a wild animal reserve you have no business keeping it as a pet. :angryfire2:

19. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Just looked it up a bit and apparently, there had been issues in the past:
    And here:
    Not huge issues, per se, but still issues. I'm sure that cost the police department a hefty little amount. Not to mention that it's obvious proof the chimp wasn't completely controllable. Not even sure why she would approach it after that first incident.

And despite all that, he proved himself to be a wild animal.

20. D_Gunther Snotpole

Maybe it was the Devil's Brew.:eek:

Draft saved Draft deleted