If You Had The Choice, Would You Live In Another Country ?

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
he told me people are literally scared and policemen beat you up if you're not always "yes sir" "yes sir" "of course sir" when they stops you in your car. Such silliness

I'm just so scared of the average cop in the US. Every time I see one, my hands sweat prefusely. :rolleyes:

That's such a silly and absurd statement. Where do you foreigners come up with these outrageous ideas. Is this something you took from a some tv documentary about gang-cop conflicts in some American inner city.

One country I would never live in: UK

I lived there for a year and hated it. Horrible food, horrible prices, ugly housing...it's just not for me. But, I do like some British people.:biggrin1:

Countries I would consider moving to:

Germany
France
Québec, Canada

If not one of the above, then I'm staying in the good 'ole US of A.

MovingForward

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Denmark

In 2006 and 2007, surveys[1] ranked Denmark as "the happiest place in the world," based on standards of health, welfare, and education. T

I wouldn't mind:

Spend autumn in New York

Spend summer in Bermuda

Spend winter in the Caribbean

Spend spring in New York

Of all the countries I've been to, I think I'd be happiest in either Canada or Ireland though I love The Netherlands. In my very old age I'd like to spend my days sitting out on the Piazza di Spagna, eating gelato, and watching the world go by.

My problem is having lived within the immediate sphere of influence of New York. No place else feels like the center of the universe and therefore every other place feels like an outpost. London and Paris are OK, they have something of the New York feel, but the Parisians are obnoxious and Londoners generally have a pole up their ass. If I had to live in the UK, I'd choose Edinburgh because the Scots, I find, are a generally friendlier, unprepossessing, lot.

My greatest experience in Europe is in Ireland and I'm certain I could live there without an issue. I get along very well with the Irish.

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'd wanna live in New York one day.

Auckland kinda bores me.

I'll be moving to Sydney soon, so we'll see how that goes.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Places I'd like to live-
London- I have a really good time there twice a year. I've met so many very interesting people in London.

New Mexico- Good climate, laid back attitude, beautiful landscapes.

Malaysia- Wonderfully friendly Muslim people, great diving and food.

I could never live in Germany, France, or Austria. In general, I find them to have a cold and suspicious attitude towards outsiders. Especially people of colour. German food is the worst in Europe. I'd live almost anywhere in the states before Northern Europe. Although I do like Copenhagen and Amsterdam a lot!

Istanbul is a great place to live. It never ceases to surprise me, every day, several times a day actually! To me, more than any place else, it feels like the historical and geographic center. The people are very friendly, but expect you to stand on your own two feet as well. Not much molly-coddling here! It's not easy, but it is endlessly fascinating. I love Turkish food, although I can't cook it, because it's so complex.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
NYC was OK to visit, but I'd never want to live there. They have a very puffed up sense of their importance that just doesn't jive with reality. It's also dirty and not very green.

I liked living and working in Paris, France. I don't think I'd want to live there again though. I like blowing my nose and not having black snot. The air quality there was so bad you might as well smoke cigs.

I liked Baltimore, MD. And I really liked Davenport, Iowa.

Chicago, IL is still my favorite US city. Very much in the center of it all on the continent and it's green and fairly clean.

I have no desire to live in San Francisco. It's too expensive and foggy. I do like Oakland. The weather is nice and the people are more real and laid-back.

I've been to the UK, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy and Switzerland too. I think I'd like Italy if I had tons of money and didn't have to rely on finding work...

I'd consider living in Israel. I think I'd like Tel Aviv or Haifa. Of course the major issue there is violence but the sense of community of living with other Jews in our homeland seems attractive.

I've been to Florida. I'm not wild about it. I don't like humidity and heat.

So, most likely I'll stay in Oakland, CA. It has perfect weather for me. I hate moving period. And no matter where you go there are plusses and minuses.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Tuscany region of Italy. I did a semester there in grad school and have always longed to go back.

I traveled throughout Italy as part of my course of study. I enjoyed Vico Equense; but spent 10 weeks in Cortona. It is there that I would love to retire.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Tuscany region of Italy. I did a semester there in grad school and have always longed to go back.

I just spent a month in Italy and its a wonderful place to visit. However in talking to the Italian people I met, life there is really tough, they work incredibly long hours now. I was in Tuscany, Venice, Rome and Sicily. Also the Amalfi coast. My 3rd time in Tuscany. I am Italian so I have that connection but I thank the stars I was born in America and have had the opportunities to advance that just aren't that easy in other parts of the world.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would love to live in Italy maybe Bologna. Somehow whenever I visit I feel at home in Italy. It's comforting and familiar for me as I grew up with Italian neighbors.

The other place I feel strangely at home at is Japan. Something about the people and culture that suits me. There isn't the outward hostility or who cares screw you attitude you find in places like New York and Washington DC. Most people seem to care about things and take a pride in even small things they do - but they are not anal and punitive about it like the Swiss. The attitude of caring shows up in everything in the culture which appeals to me. Respect for other people is pervasive there.

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I lived in Paris for two years, 1990-92. One of the few regrets I have in life is having left.

Yeah, there is something about Paris that is like no other place in the world. I really liked it. I just don't know if I'd be happy there long-term. I'm glad it's there to visit though. And having lived there it's nice to go back and visit my old haunts to see how some of them have changed and some have remained the same.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just spent a month in Italy and its a wonderful place to visit. However in talking to the Italian people I met, life there is really tough, they work incredibly long hours now. I was in Tuscany, Venice, Rome and Sicily. Also the Amalfi coast. My 3rd time in Tuscany. I am Italian so I have that connection but I thank the stars I was born in America and have had the opportunities to advance that just aren't that easy in other parts of the world.
What are you crazy? I didn't say anything about renouncing my American citizenship! :eek: I would like to retire to Cortona or perhaps Arezzo.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
other than living here in charleston , south carolina i'd like to live in venice or milan or florence.

or a place like switzerland or france, madrid.

my above all else, GREECE. like a luxurious villa on the aegean coast of athens and a private sea-view villa on one of the greek isles like rhodes or crete or something like that.

cant do asia, too many earthquakes, volcanoes, typhoons. WAY to crowded

Living in Switzerland would be like having a full body brace with spikes on the inside for me.

I'm with Rubi, that a good or bad thing for ya there Earl? :33:

But it certainly is a clean country and sterile if you are into that kind of thing Rubi. It has all the personality of a syringe. And I mean that in a good way.:cool:

And that's just the French side!

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Oh yes. Amalfi. I forgot about it. I could easily live there. We have been going every second year since 2000. I'd like to buy a place there on the mountainside, grow grapes and have a little fishing boat.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Living in Switzerland would be like having a full body brace with spikes on the inside for me. But it certainly is a clean country and sterile if you are into that kind of thing Rubi. It has all the personality of a syringe. And I mean that in a good way.:cool:
Switzerland is so clean and sterile you feel like you should flush it when you leave.