If you have a few seconds...

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i personally am trying to be less and less rude and cutting with my remarks, and saving my sarcasm for those who understand the light-hearted demeanor behind it.

If that works for you, then bully. I don't care for the implication that it's some categorical imperative.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
in general, this thread is about members who confuse freedom of speech with freedom to condescend whoever they feel is lower than them. call my feelings paper-thin, call me a baby, call me what you want but i personally am trying to be less and less rude and cutting with my remarks, and saving my sarcasm for those who understand the light-hearted demeanor behind it. simply put, some people drive like the road is designed for them and everyone else is "in the way", some people actually respect the other drivers. best of luck to both sides.

Oh for Fuck sake get down off the fucking cross will you whiny cunt. Someone else needs the wood.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ohhh, one thing that always lights my ring is freedom of speech on forums. There is no such thing. Someone owns this place, and they can choose to get rid of anything they want to.

Freedom of speech and expression is absolutely vital, but you can't find it on the internet, 'cos the internet is made up of little bits of people's property.

*pant*pant*pant*

Sorry. Always have to post that at the freedom of speech bit ;)

i was more trying to illustrate the practices of people who are disrespectful and rude and say "hey i have the right to say what i want, freedom of speech"

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, talk about a tempest in a teapot... :rolleyes:

Please explain how my lack of patience with whiners, thin-skinned crybabies, and my intransigence toward pious crusaders qualifies as "braying bravado?"

We're all adults here. If you can't take criticism of your commentary, keep your gob shut. If you're incapable of discourse with other adults without feeling the need to proselytise and harangue them with your ideals of how they "ought" to behave, then keep your gob shut. If you're expecting to find only a chorus of sycophantic agreements, then you're posting in the wrong place.

Hazelgod,

You seem to delight in using your intelligence (which is quite considerable) to steamroll over those who may not be able to keep up with you or perhaps may be sensitive and not appreciate being called "douchebags" for opinions that dont agree with your own. I have on many occasions enjoyed your comments and the passion with which you have delivered them. But LPSG is not just for those who can mow other members down with their own considerable command of the english language. It is supposed to be a SUPPORT GROUP. I was not necessarily talking to you but it seems the comment hit its mark.
Many of you may not like the way the Moderator's do their jobs but while quick to decry how slowly we respond to the many vitriolic reports of other members' bad behavior there is a tendency to over look one's own contributions.
I can not make adults behave as I would. But I can let you all know that if you want LPSG to be a place you can enjoy, please think before you continue to rip it apart brick by brick with your comments. Marley can only speak for himself. YOu can chose to listen or not.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Maybe one day i will understand one of Mr Marley's threads, I don't think it's going to be tiday:confused:

what don't you understand about PMing an apology someone you were rude to?? if anything, consider it asshole rehabilitation.

hi...

my name is marleyisalegend....

i used to be an asshole......

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
For the time being, I'm going to close this thread to give people time to cool off. I have just one thing to say--
Even though this is the internet, proper rules of decorum still apply. If you wouldn't talk to someone in public in a certain manner, then you shouldn't do it here. You don't have to agree with everyone, but you have to respect them. Moreover, if you can't handle someone badmouthing you, then you shouldn't do it to others. You all have to be 18 to be a member here, please act like you're adults.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Wow, talk about a tempest in a teapot... :rolleyes:

Please explain how my lack of patience with whiners, thin-skinned crybabies, and my intransigence toward pious crusaders qualifies as "braying bravado?"

We're all adults here. If you can't take criticism of your commentary, keep your gob shut. If you're incapable of discourse with other adults without feeling the need to proselytise and harangue them with your ideals of how they "ought" to behave, then keep your gob shut. If you're expecting to find only a chorus of sycophantic agreements, then you're posting in the wrong place.

Seconded.

Anyone who posts an opinion should be prepared for that opinion to be challenged or seconded. There is no freedom from the thoughts of others on a board where you voluntarily share your opinions.

Here is the problem: with the volume of postings on the board, there is no way for any moderating team to effectively, efficiently and equitably police the board for "nastiness." And what IS nastiness anyway? Just because you say something nicely does not mean you are being nice or saying something nice. People confuse disagreement with dislike and agreement with support. Those words are not synonymous.

Those who can have and enjoy a good debate/argument (with an occasional insult) should not be relegated to not posting or carefully editing their postings because some people like to enjoy a unidirectional freedom of speech. Some of the most thught-provoking threads have been our heated debated about religion, orientation, discrimination, etc. That rich discourse can only happen when people feel free to speak openly. And that freedom to speak cannot be couched in feeling "protected" from dissenting opinions.

Forgive me, but I was raised to NOT dumb-down my conversation and debate.

People need to take responsibility for their own enjoyment of the board (disengage, take a break, use the ignore feature, learn to accept disagreement and dissenting opinion),as they need to; it would go a long way towards helping the board. The moderator actions (e.g., jumping in when people feel victimized) serve only to enable people's learned helplessness, not empower them to participate in conversation, discussion, and debate.

Do children ever learn to solve disagreements if mommy and daddy are always run to for intervention? All the actions have done is teach people to run to you when there is a perceived problem.

And I totally disagree with the assertion that I have to respect everyone unilaterally. That is complete nonsense. Respect is earned, not freely given. There are plenty of people here and in real life who have not earned my respect (or who have lost it).

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
once more you are making the huge assumption that
A. stereotypes are not useful.
And
B. human beings are capable of NOT stereotyping.

You have yet to show ANY shred of proof or even analogy that those two assumptions are even remotely valid.

Cheers Phil!

I work with taxonomy, folksonomy, data typing, prototyping, type casting, and many other methods of classification on a daily basis. As an Objectivist, I also see things in a different light than most folks--I stereotype all the time.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh, HazelGod, you are SO right, I couldn't possibly agree more!

Ohhh, one thing that always lights my ring is freedom of speech on forums. There is no such thing. Someone owns this place, and they can choose to get rid of anything they want to.
OHMYFUCKINGGAWDHEATHER!!!
Someone who actually knows what the fuck "freedom of speech" means. I think I'm in love, reecho! You actually understand that "freedom of speech" does NOT mean you can say whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want; it actually means that the government cannot arbitrarily limit or censor your speech.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If you want to apologize to someone marley, by all means do so. You don't need a support group do it. Just because you may have a guilty conscience, doesn't mean that we all do, or should.

I've given up expecting people here to be civil. There are some posters here who continually annoy me and usually I just skip their posts and threads.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
so im the only one who's ever been obnoxious or rude?? i should've known that the idea of people who sit on self-righteous thrones would denounce the idea of confessing that they're capable of rude and obnoxious behavior. the responses to this thread are highy amusing. guess some of us are taught to cling to our laurels and fight for them tooth and nail, even if we're dreadfully wrong. one thing that makes it sometimes less than enjoyable to post here is that if your opinion differs from the popular ideas, or even one person, you're subject to extreme criticism and rude, cutting remarks. i've definitely done so and feel embarressed for some of the things i've posted. i guess some people don't possess the necessary introspection to realize that they're not god. continue bowing down to yourself in the mirror while the rest of us realize that we're not omnipotent and all-knowing.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
so im the only one who's ever been obnoxious or rude?? .

Obviously not. I've jumped the gun myself a time or two.

Since we're on the subject, i'll have my say. I agree with HG, Lex, and the others who said (more or less) if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen. No one should think their opinions and ideas are free from scrutiny. I learn more from people whose ideas, culture, gender, background, sexuality, or lifestyle differ from mine. It's the only to acquire objectivity about anything in this life. Plenty of people will spout their opinions as gospel and turn a deaf ear to anything anyone has to offer. I tend to have the least amount of respect for those people.

I also have the least amount of respect for people who don't/won't admit they're wrong about something especially if they know they're wrong. I don't know why people seem to think admitting that will make them seem weak but they do. Guess it's easier for some to think they're always right. I truly pity them. If you can't recognise or refuse to recognise when you're wrong about something then you have no business starting a conversation about anything. Being wrong is part of being human. Failure to accept that is failure to grow the fuck up.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Seconded.

Anyone who posts an opinion should be prepared for that opinion to be challenged or seconded. There is no freedom from the thoughts of others on a board where you voluntarily share your opinions.

Here is the problem: with the volume of postings on the board, there is no way for any moderating team to effectively, efficiently and equitably police the board for "nastiness." And what IS nastiness anyway? Just because you say something nicely does not mean you are being nice or saying something nice. People confuse disagreement with dislike and agreement with support. Those words are not synonymous.

Those who can have and enjoy a good debate/argument (with an occasional insult) should not be relegated to not posting or carefully editing their postings because some people like to enjoy a unidirectional freedom of speech. Some of the most thught-provoking threads have been our heated debated about religion, orientation, discrimination, etc. That rich discourse can only happen when people feel free to speak openly. And that freedom to speak cannot be couched in feeling "protected" from dissenting opinions.

Forgive me, but I was raised to NOT dumb-down my conversation and debate.

People need to take responsibility for their own enjoyment of the board (disengage, take a break, use the ignore feature, learn to accept disagreement and dissenting opinion),as they need to; it would go a long way towards helping the board. The moderator actions (e.g., jumping in when people feel victimized) serve only to enable people's learned helplessness, not empower them to participate in conversation, discussion, and debate.

Do children ever learn to solve disagreements if mommy and daddy are always run to for intervention? All the actions have done is teach people to run to you when there is a perceived problem.

And I totally disagree with the assertion that I have to respect everyone unilaterally. That is complete nonsense. Respect is earned, not freely given. There are plenty of people here and in real life who have not earned my respect (or who have lost it).

QFFT

I was gearing up to post something similar - but it appears I don't need to.

And further to that, it's one thing to have people bring fights to each other in threads here (although even that I think has a certain line it needs to reach before it is automatically called trolling) but to intimate there is no room for caustic argument on an adult message board like this one is ridiculous. And besides - sometimes some people* just NEED telling to fuck right off.

* no, I'm not talking about anyone imparticlar, or anyone on this thread.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
respect has little to nothing to do with courtesy, maybe i grew up in a different era where it wasn't cool to insult somebody just because their opinion or religion is different.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
All i have to say to Marley:

Dude, go have a cup of tea and chill out a bit. You are very too high strung. If you could post as if you are pacing the floor in sheer anxiety, you have it mastered.

Just relax, take a break if you need to and don't be so concerned with keeping conversation going around here. The board rarely gets boring with a lack of good conversation and debate. But it can have a spirit of tension among members. This isn't a good way to prevent that from happening if that is what you are worried about.

I worry about those who feel the need to create a dozen new threads a day, often threads that have something contriversial in them, and then they aren't comfortable with the contention that results from the topics.

You can be a compassionate nice guy but you registered in October and started posting in March like there was no tomorrow. Maybe you've gotten a little too invested in what the board thinks too much.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
after reading an article about internet bullies and disrespect, this site makes a lot more sense to me and i think i have a better idea of how to navigate and post without having to deal with constant ridicule.

i realize that there are a wealth of social disorders that lead people to feel like the web is just a playground for them to go around pushing people around and inflating their own sense of superiority. for about two seconds i thought it might just be me, i've certainly been no angel but i realize that someone has to have some ISSUES if they can't log on without putting somebody down and just HAVE to click on threads by people they don't like so they can post their witty, cutting remarks.

what's funny is the following article is about children engaging in net bullying, but this site is 18+ so that means we have grown adults acting like little kids. my best hope is that it's only because of the obscurity the net provides and that the members who act like this don't behave this way in their ordinary lives.

Net Bullies...preventing and handling cyberbullying and harassment

Why Do Kids Bully Each Other Online?
There are many reasons kids bully each other online. Sometimes they are bored and looking for entertainment. Sometimes they are nursing a grudge and want to hurt the other. They may see themselves are righteous avengers, righting the wrongs of the intented victim. They may be the victim of an offline bullying or another netbully, striking back the only way they can. They may be jealous, hurt or just role-playing. They may not even mean to netbully another. They might have just had their communications misunderstood or misdelivered.

Net bullying comes in many forms, outright insults and profanity, or cleverly worded insults that are backhanded and disguied with a more extensive vocabulary.