If you knew you were gay why did you marry a woman?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
As one poster above you pointed out? Anyway...

People like people that they have stuff in common with. Men have very little in common with women and vice versa.

That is a HUGE blanket statement to make and, in my opinion and my experience, completely untrue. I can't think of one single thing I enjoy that I could honestly say 'I know of no male person who also enjoys this' with the sole except of biological things like 'I enjoy having my clitoris stimulated', a man can't enjoy that just as I can't enjoy having my penis stimulated because I don't have one. Also, I can't think of a single philosophical notion, socio-political stance or principle that men and women can't share. in short, other than the above mentioned anatomical differences, there is nothing that men and women can't have in common - and the anatomical differences, when you get down to it, are few.

People are going to be more inclined to like something similar to themselves than something that is the complete opposite of them. That's true when it comes to looks, feelings, etc. etc.

Inclination isn't a rule of law - what about people who are more inclined to be attracted to 'other'?

If a man or a woman can look at anyone of their own sex and think "Hey, this person good looking," then you are already 95% there.

So? That means nothing - I think loads of women are good looking, I don't want to fuck them and some of them I have nothing in common with - we have different cultural backgrounds, different childhood experiences, different political views, different tastes in music / art / etc., different opinions on sociological issues - in common we have a few bits of anatomy. Even our hormone levels won't be the same because we're maybe different ages and one of us has had kids the other not, we're at different points in our cycles, one of us is a high testosterone producer, etc., etc.. I have far more in common with the man my age that grew up 5 doors down from me, went to the same school as me, had parents in the same socio-political circle as mine, went to all the same movies as I did, likes the same music as me, worked in a similar job, knows all the same places and people as me. And funnily enough - I don't want to fuck him either.

Liking men or women and/or wanting to do something with them sexually isn't some Mt. Everest to climb.

Not getting the relevance or sense of that at all. Please expand?

I'm not saying a guy can't like women. I'm saying that the guys who say, "Oh other guys are just so repulsive I don't want to do anything with them at all ever!" are lying to themselves. Even if it were a 99% straight and 1% gay type of thing (that is still bisexual).

But you are totally OK with the idea of a gay person, a man for the sake of argument, saying "Oh women are just so repulsive I don't want to do anything with them at all ever!"? Is that right?

Look - I believe 100% gay happens - I believe there are men that have no level of sexual attraction to women whatsoever and likewise there are women who have no level of sexual attraction to men whatsoever. I don't know whether it is completely innate or if there is some learned aspect in there too - I believe, like so many human behaviours, it is a complex combination of both and varies from person to person.

I also believe that 100% straight happens - and, as with homosexuality, it is a complex combination of innate and learned behaviours. But it does exist.

Out of the billions of people on the planet, it doesn't make sense to that say that none of them at all could possibly contain qualities that a person finds attractive in their same sex.

And yet you are perfectly willing to state that 100% gay is possible and that out of the billions of people on the planet, it does make sense to that say that none of them at all could possibly contain qualities that a person finds attractive in the opposite sex

How it is possible to believe one and not the other? It makes no sense at all.

Actually, that makes perfect sense. If you're a man and you say that you have no attraction to other men, then you also have to go around thinking that you and every other guy you come across are ugly. Read my response above.

That just doesn't follow. You don't have to think someone is ugly to not want to fuck them. Well, maybe you do - but most people don't. Most gay men I know have very well developed notions of what they find physically beautiful about women, it's just not the kind of beauty they want to stick their cocks in. And yet you are OK with them being 100% gay. A man can have clear and strong notions of male beauty and not want to stick his cock in it - but you say he's really bi and lying to himself.

Of course a man can look at another man, find him pleasing on the eye and appealing in that he wants to be / wouldn't mind being like him - it doesn't automatically follow that he wants to stick his dick in him, or suck him off, or bend over and get fucked by him, or whatever. Maybe it automatically follows for you - but you're bisexual. Don't apply the working of your own mind to everyone else's.

Sexuality to me is like a slider scale, with people being more to one side or the other but not completely to any side. 99% and 1% is perfectly possible and acceptable.

I'm sorry, AM, but what's 'acceptable' is not up to you. And, according to what you said above, a parson can be all the way over to the gay end of the 'slider scale' with 0 attraction to the opposite sex but a person cannot be all the way over to the straight side of the slider scale with 0 attraction to the same sex. Which is bullshit - you can opine all you want - it is a bullshit opinion. :smile:

SR_Jherkin_McGherkin

Experimental Member
Media
anyone else find it incredibly ironic and hypocritical for a gay person to say they don't believe bisexuality or "straight" heterosexuality exist?

isn't that EXACTLY what evangelical Christians say about *your* sexual orientation?

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Um wtf? LOL

Was there really a point in multi-quoting my post to death? :rolleyes:

Not to mention the condescending tonality of your novel of a reply to the mere three sentences I responded to your post. Let me remind you that you have no authority in any matters dealing with me or my opinions and vice versa.

==

All the you, you, you stuff...it's called an opinion. I never said my opinion was the law.

You can have yours, I can have mine. They can differ.

==

Also, most of what you are posting is the proverbial "putting words in my mouth". There are no implications in my posts on this thread. You can take them literally word for word, and nothing more.

I didn't go into some diatribe about the possibility of people being 100% gay and not 100% straight (as you seem to think I did for some reason). Did I ever say anything about people being 100% anything?

You can be 99% straight and 1% gay and still identify as straight, but that is still techically bi. You can be 99% gay and 1% straight and still identify as gay. I never said it had to be a cut and dry 50/50 or 100/0. I'm saying that people shouldn't completely rule out a possibility, no matter how small the chances are.

Last edited:

Charles Finn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
for many they are brought up to get married and have kids there is no other choice.
most want to fit in and make others like their parents happy for me I am selfish i want to make ME happy so i never wanted to get married or have kids now most of my bf's were married and had kids lol

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So you're back-pedaling from that now? Good. It was a ridiculous fucking statement. I am glad you have thought better of it.

Back-pedaling? Hardly.

There is no 100% "straight". Have I said differently?

I just didn't get into the numbers on that post. The statement still applies. I elaborated what I meant on the posts after.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
But you seemed to be saying 100% gay IS possible whereas 100% straight is NOT. Is that what you believe?

No, I don't think 100% gay is necessarily possible either. I'm sure I poorly worded what I was trying to say in my initial post that was made quickly.

I think the closest someone can be to anything is 99%'ish and that there is always some possibility. Even if it is an extremely small chance.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Sheesh! And think I wasted a whole 10 minutes of my life on that post! :wink:

I disagree, by the way - I think 100% either is possible, but I understand many people don't. Certainly 100% behaviour is common. But that's not the same thing. I still think it is unfair to say these people are lying to themselves. I know many men and women who are totally open to same sex experience but just never got anything out of it, never got turned on by it. They aren't repressing anything.

ETA: Ditto gay friends who are open to trying a hetero experience but get nothing out of it.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Np, all good. :smile:

I'm just an "any thing's possible" type of person. So I guess that includes sexual experiences as well. And yeah, I do agree that 100% one way or the other behavior is definitely common.

I'd actually have much more respect for someone when it came to sexuality if there were to put it in the context that you describe, i.e. "I'm open to the experience, but I just never got anything out of it." That, to me, rings truer than people saying the opposite.

Imo, too many people have an absolute judgment of "I would never do anything with the opposite (or same) sex!" For me personally, it would be hard to put that much of a determination to it. Although it is their prerogative.

Last edited:

Ra

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Another thread which has gone off-topic and has ended up as a bit of a slanging match to boot. All we need now is a large mud pit, two handbags and a cockrell to start crowing to complete the picture!

Marriage is a privilege and a responsibility. To those of us who are married - lets treat our partners with love, commitment and respect, whatever our situation.

dong-in-khakis

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
..as in an earlier post I'd say because they didn't want to be gay and were trying to do the right thing.

Then some are truly bi and can go both ways, but prefer the way that won't cause them any grief.

An age old situation.

D_Kitten_Kaboodle

Account Disabled
Media
because of family pressures, cultural pressures, religous beliefs, self hate, thinking marriage could change ones self, etc
^^this??

I'm sorry didn't have time to read all 5 pages (5 pages in 5 days pretty good respoonse)

did anyone say "Marriage for Convenience"?

I was once told that sometimes a gay man might look for women for this reason... many definitons of "convenience" too...
could be to use as a cover.... maybe she knows he is gay but is willing to marry him and provide him with a cover (if, for whatever reason he doesn't wanna come completely out of the closet) ..
could be that there is a really close friendship between the two and both need companionship (I think I saw "lonliness" somewhere) ... and would be great if the two really get along well...
could be that he wants to be a father and this is the easiest, best way (in his mind) to accomplish this goal.

OR maybe the guy didn't fully realize he was gay until after the marriage. If he married young.... then began to explore his sexuality later on... ooops!!!:tongue:

I'm not saying any of these reasons are good or bad reasons for marrying... Personally I could never marry a person I didn't love passionately and deeply, and know he felt the same way about me. But I understand that a marriage of covenience is fairly popular... and accepted.

and again, sorry if I'm repeating...

D_Harry_Crax

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sheesh! And think I wasted a whole 10 minutes of my life on that post! :wink:

I disagree, by the way - I think 100% either is possible, but I understand many people don't. Certainly 100% behaviour is common. But that's not the same thing. I still think it is unfair to say these people are lying to themselves. I know many men and women who are totally open to same sex experience but just never got anything out of it, never got turned on by it. They aren't repressing anything.

ETA: Ditto gay friends who are open to trying a hetero experience but get nothing out of it.

As for me, it's not just 100% gay behavior, but 100% gay thoughts, gaze, dreams, experiences, etc. The last time I had a slight, brief, hetero thought was at least 30 years ago, when I was still a teenager. I don't expect to ever have another.

ManchesterTom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
During the apartheid regime in South Africa, which ended in 1994, homosexual behavior was illegal, and many people were arrested and put on a "gay register". Even people who looked typically gay and who lived together, were often harassed by the cops. Any sexual involvement between white and darker people was also illegal, and hetro sexual marriage was not permitted between race groups.

It was very difficult and even dangerous for people to be gay in South Africa. Boys in the compulsory apartheid military who were found engaging in anything of a gay nature were considered mentally ill and were sent to hospital for aversion therapy.

There are many many people who would now be in their 50s and 60s who entered heterosexual marriages in the hopes that they would "go straight", and not run foul of the law.

There was however a vibrant gay and lesbian movement during the oppression years, where everyone who had the means, would have fundraisers and parties to pay for legal representation in favor of gay rights.

Fortunately when the new constitution came into being in 1994, no discrimination is allowed on grounds of sexual or religious preference.