If you liked Cloverfield...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Dec 12, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

...you will probably also like 'The Blackout' and 'Skyline' too.

Cloverfield is the best of them. They all have that ordinary event going on when all of a sudden something big happens that threatens human existence.
    They also make zero attempt to explain how or why the something big is occurring and focus solely on the action and battle for survival.

Similiar films that DO have an explanation tied into the storyline include 'The Mist' (awesome film imo, tho the threat is more local than mankind) and 'The Happening'.

'Infestation' is a weird and pretty funny one in places, again a local threat but incorporates the sudden event occurence that leads to that survival action.

Anyone know of any similiar films? I'm really liking this kind of 'lacking explanation, maximising action horror/sci-fi' film.

2. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    *Spoiler Alert*

The Cloverfield monster was the result of Toxic dumping by that Slushy company. It's kind of easy to miss, but they do show images of the company doing that. Don't remember specifics because it's been a while since I've seen the movie or read the stories about it, but there is quite a bit of explanation of how everything came about.

Some of it is explained hear
    Cloverfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

But wiki says at the end of the plot explanation that an object falls into the ocean. This suggests an alien rather than a toxic waste result.???

4. KTF40

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually yeah it wasn't toxic waste. It was eating something at the bottom of the sea.

Clover - Cloverfield Wiki - Cloverfield Monster, Slusho, J.J. Abrams

"Many speculate that it is of extraterrestrial descent, but this has been denied by J.J. Abrams. The object seen falling into ocean is actually Tagruato's ChimpanzIII satellite.

It grew to its massive size through consuming large amounts of Seabed's Nectar, a natural steroid-like substance which is very addictive and causes increased cell division and growth, and is used by Tagruato's subsidiary company, "Slusho!", for use as their secret ingredient in their frozen drink of the same name. At some point afterwords, the monster went into a sort of hibernation."

5. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I am glad that all this 'explaining' was not included in the film. It surely would have been lost on the audience, me included.

So do you reckon the smaller creatures would have to have been parasites or is there another explanation to them.

6. Mickactual

Gold Member

Albums:
    I always found it interesting that none of the Cloverfield "explanations" appeared in the film. They were all either online or in the DVD Easter Eggs. Makes me wonder if Abrams & Co. actually came up with it all after the fact.
    Whatever - that film was all about Michael Stahl-David and Mike Vogel for me anyway. :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted