If you see a Pitbull alone on the street what do you do?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I saw one earlier today from my car a few blocks from where I live. I was thinking about calling the police and reporting him but I didn't. He was hanging out in front of a gas station in front of some bushes, he looked happy to be out there free and was not being aggressive. There were some people pumping gas in the area, but he did not approach anyone. When I got back from running an errand I looked for him, but he was gone, hopefully he found his way back home.

Last edited:

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'd approach it, and if it didn't seem to mind, see if I couldn't find its owner. I would be careful, but not because I'm afraid of pitbulls, I have one. But there is a greater chance of it being a fear biter or just a biter because of the rep they get as dogs, which in turn can influence poor owners into raising them wrong. It's a shame that they have to suffer because of it. I personally have never met a mean pitbull, all of the ones I've met have been really sweet. In general they are naturally social to humans. But again, I would be careful because there is a greater chance of them being mistreated and raised wrong.

Before calling the police or anything, if this happens again, I suggest going around and seeing if you can't find the owner, or someone who knows who he/she belongs too.

Hotrocker

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There are certain dog breeds that just simply cannot be trusted (at least in my opinion) due to the attitude bred into the dog over decades and decades. Owners of rottweilers, pitbulls and mutts with those dog breeds in their blood should be wary of the fact that those dog breeds are statistically mean dogs. According to wikipedia, Pitbulls have the highest percentage of dog-bite related fatalities and Rottweilers have the second highest. This alone should speak volumes.

That being said, if I saw a lone pitbull on the street, I wouldn't leave post haste or make a scene, but I would keep my eye on the animal and make a mental note that the dog can snap like *that*. I WOULD MOST DEFINITELY CALL THE POLICE ON IT. Pitbulls and Rottweilers should not be ANYWHERE without a handler and close supervision (the same could be said for all dogs).

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Report it as a stray dog. See if you can get it to a humane society / shelter.

There are no bad breeds, only bad owners!

Pitbulls are great dogs. All dogs need leaders to keep them in check.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The majority of violent pitbulls are so because of their owners, not because of an innate need to kill that is higher than other dogs. Sure, pitbulls, rotts, and dobermans can inflect serious wounds on a person, but for the most part are very playful and friendly dogs, unless rabid. Hold the owner responsible, not the dog. I generally don't approach any dog I see on the streets for fear of catching rabis, not for fear of death. I would probably toss it some food if I had some and be on my way, unless the dog came walking up to me with its tail wagging...then I'd feel compelled to do something to find its owner. Why call the cops unless it's acting aggressively? You might as well just kill it with your own hands because that's all that's going to happen by calling the pound or the cops...

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Report it as a stray dog. See if you can get it to a humane society / shelter.

Pitbulls are great dogs. All dogs need leaders to keep them in check.

Pitbulls are illegal in some places, so it might be put down for no good reason if you do that.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Pitbulls and Rottweilers should not be ANYWHERE without a handler and close supervision (the same could be said for all dogs).

My Rottweiler is the biggest baby on earth. My neighbors have 3 Rotts and the biggest worry I have around them would be getting licked to death.

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My Rottweiler is the biggest baby on earth. My neighbors have 3 Rotts and the biggest worry I have around them would be getting licked to death.

I've heard similar things about Rottweilers. They look intimidating, but they're very friendly, I've been told.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I wholeheartedly agree with you. My neighbour has a Pitbull and it is the friendliest most placid dog I have come across. It's even afraid of my Scottie :rolleyes:

My own Scottie dog who is the most loving thing ever, I cannot say I fully trust. She's 5 years old and I've had her 3 years. She had 4 owners before us and took a long time to settle in. She's pretty willful and I always have to be firm with her. No way would she be like this if I'd had her from a pup.

The sad thing about some of these so called dangerous breed dogs is simply down to the type of people who often acquire them. They think it's tough to have a tough looking and acting dog. The way they treat their dogs makes them hyper.

Fleur

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Just leave it.

Being a dog owner for many years, this type of mentality really pisses me off. :mad:

Same reason why people walk by others being assaulted...they figure "leave it"

At least do the right thing and call the police so the poor dog doesn't die getting hit by a car only for the owners to go on not knowing whatever happened to their pooch.

Anytime I've ever seen a loose dog I stop to help it. Even if I'm in my fucking car! I get out and help the dog. It doesn't matter where I'm going. I stop the car, get out and put the pup in my car and help it back home. I'm well-studied on animal behavior though, so I know what to do if a dog feels threatened etc.

If you don't think you could handle it...at least call someone and report it.

What if it was your dog?? Would you want someone to say "leave it"?

P.S. there is no such thing as a "bad breed" either...like incocknito said, only bad onwers.

Last edited: