If you see a snake in the road,

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
it is not necessary to run it over! Snakes are very important creatures and killing one is a minor ecological disaster! they control rodents and other pests and most of them are non-poisonous! The poisonous ones rarely bite humans and when they do the bites are rarely fatal! If you'll slow your fucking car down and drive the speed limit for the rest of your life you'll save more human lives on your own than snakes will kill in the US in the next 20 years.

What did snakes ever do to you?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
it is not necessary to run it over! Snakes are very important creatures and killing one is a minor ecological disaster! they control rodents and other pests and most of them are non-poisonous! The poisonous ones rarely bite humans and when they do the bites are rarely fatal! If you'll slow your fucking car down and drive the speed limit for the rest of your life you'll save more human lives on your own than snakes will kill in the US in the next 20 years.

Ummm, have you never seen Anaconda? Or Snakes on a Plane?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
I am petrified of snakes... so I run the other way when I see one, we only have the gardener snake variety here... and not that many, have only seen one in the 10 years I've been in this house.

HotBulge

Worshipped Member
Media
Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
I don't want to be too callous, but running over a snake is a statistical casualty as running over humans. Whether we like it or not, it just happens with a certain frequency from year to year.... Snakes are God's creatures, yes, but they give me the creeps, so I'm quite content to just viewing them as a statistical casualty when automobiles run over them.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I agree with you. I try not to run over snakes. They don't hurt anything, and are very beneficial. They don't bother me at all, and I don't pay much attention to them. I see quite a few snakes here in the mountains. Most I see are non poisonous, but I have seen quite a few rattlesnakes. If you leave them alone they won't bother you either.

sdg475

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Agreed. I know one dead snake in the road isn't going to make or break the ecosystem, but top level predators are extremely important to balancing the food chain. Take for example the overpopulation of deer in the North East states, we wiped out all of their natural predators (wolves, mountain lions, bears), and now nothing keeps them in check. As a result of an over abundance of deer entire forested areas have been destroyed overtime (since they eat all of the young trees and shrubs nothing is left to replace the old trees once they fall). Not only is the vegetation devasted by the deer, but so are the deer...top level predators keep their prey populations strong and healthy (since they pick off all of the unhealthy, weak, and old individuals because they are easier to catch)...woops this was off topic but a little ecology for you. Anyway, don't kill snakes...

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
...top level predators keep their prey populations strong and healthy (since they pick off all of the unhealthy, weak, and old individuals because they are easier to catch)...
The real tippy-top predators only shoot the snakes with really good antlers. Which is why they're now so rare - I can't remember when I last saw a snake with a worthwhile rack.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had one outside my front door, turned out to be a ringneck snake that eats lizards and bugs. I researched it on-line and decided to let it stay in the rocks. Don't want it in my home. Had it been venomous, it would have bludgeoned to death with a shovel. I don't go in the woods, they shouldn't inhabit a bunch of rocks decoratively placed in front of my apartment door.

The flipside of having one so close, it may keep salamanders and lizards out of my home, but somewhere in the food chain something else eats it. I don't want those predators outside my front door either.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The real tippy-top predators only shoot the snakes with really good antlers. Which is why they're now so rare - I can't remember when I last saw a snake with a worthwhile rack.

You should see the damage to my car from hitting one during mating season. What a huge mess. When they're in heat, they run rampant across the roads.

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Aww! Hicks I love snakes!
I catch them,exam them at every opportunity, I think they are
quite interesting creatures!
Would you like to put your "snake" in me HickBoy?
cigarbabe:saevil:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I got in trouble in second grade for bringing a scarlet king snake to school, Sister Patrick did not think snakes were people too.

Used to usually have one or two around the place, caught them and kept them awhile, and let them go. Very beautifull, and cool to watch move and handle.

Whenever my Granny saw one, she would go and get her hoe.