If you were forced to choose

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Altairion, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was randomly thinking about this during my hour commute to work one day and was curious what everyone here thinks. Personally, I can't come to a decision easily. Going deaf...I could never hear music again, but going blind...I could never see the world or the people I love/have yet to meet.

2. absinthium

absinthium New Member

Albums:
    I'm thinking if Beethoven could get along deaf, I'd be okay on the music front myself. My brain is such a friggin' jukebox as it is.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

Yeah, but I'd miss out on a lifetime of new music.

My eyesight is terrible as is, and two operations as a child didn't help much. I think the adjustment to becoming blind would be more traumatic, but once I've adjusted, I think I'd be happier with my hearing than with my sight. Deafness has much more profound social implications than blindness.

4. madame_zora

Gold Member

Being a huge musiv fan myself, I still take deafness over blindness. If I couldn't drive, that would be far more limiting than not hearing. Having known a lot of hearing impared people, I was able to see that they had very similar lives to mine, and I could adjust if I had to. Being blind would seriously limit my ability to support myself and that would be tough.

5. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big:
    Jana...what are the regulations for driving while deaf? I'm not sure if it's allowed because you need to be able to hear horns and silens too, right? Is there some laws or prohibitions that stop one from driving if deaf?

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

Jana...what are the regulations for driving while deaf? I'm not sure if it's allowed because you need to be able to hear horns and silens too, right? Is there some laws or prohibitions that stop one from driving if deaf?
    [post=323694]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Nope, deaf people are taught to use their vision while driving to be alerted as soon as possible of emergency vehicles, but they drive just like everyone else. I have been a passenger in many a deaf person's car and the one thing that kills me is that they tend to listen to the radio on full blast. There are degrees of deafness, some can still hear a tiny amount, but most do it to feel the vibrations of the music. For a hearing person like myself though it was painful to my eardrums!

7. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

I would far rather my hearing went than my sight. In addition to not seeing the people you love, you would also not be able to see their expressions which would make it more difficult to know what was really being said. Also, you would have a tougher time with everything in life. Cash (was that a $5 bill or a $100 I just handed the clerk?) as well as traffic, knowing if it is the right bus, new buildings where you have to be careful of people as well as your surroundings. It be it would be a far more terrifying world without sight.

8. madame_zora

Gold Member

Dolf, just wanted to say your new ava is completely adorable! I figured you were a big softie inside.

9. blackwood

blackwood New Member

--------------------------

Having in the past month lost 75% of vision in my right eye and total loss in the left, it is horrorfying to anticipate the lights being totally off.

Yet?

blackwood

10. D_f7utyfigh

D_f7utyfigh New Member

I personally would choose deafness. The advancements in communication, and the resources for the deaf are far greater than the blind.

11. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Being deaf would be easier. You could still communicate online and no one would know. You can also be much more independent being deaf. You could learn to read lips and learn sign language to communicate in person.

12. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Holy fucking thread revival...five years has to be a record!

And I choose blind over deaf...nothing in the world sounds so good as my name breathed in passion from my lover's lips.

13. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

If I were blind, I would never be in a position to read threads that were resurrected after a half decade.

14. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd much rather be deaf than blind (and I'm sure I'll be deaf in at least one ear by the time I'm 40 if not totally deaf). I couldn't stand not being able to see the sun rise/set,to be able to take in a painting by my favorite artist, or to be able to see the love of my life. At least when one is deaf, one can still feel the vibrations of music

15. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    even though i have super-human hearing now, i would give that up before my eagle eye vision.

i wouldn't be able to drive if i couldn't see...you might as well give me a life sentence behind bars.

Draft saved Draft deleted