If you were straight....

JasonO

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
To be quite honest, one of the things I am most glad about being gay for is the fact that it forced me to be open and understanding of a group outside my straight, white, Christian upbringing. I think I am a lot more empathetic and compassionate due to having to own up to being a little bit of an outsider in my own background. Once I accepted being gay and what issues and judgments are on this group, I certainly gained some perspective on what it means to judge and separate other groups from what is acceptable and free norm.

Had I been straight, I think I would have gone with the flow here, which is to judge, stay conservative and traditional, and avoid the taboo and the different. I wasn't intolerant before accepting myself, but I was certainly coming from a place of judging those who are different.

CascadeMDG

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Of people I know personally, the strongest advocates of gay rights ARE straight.
My gay friends mostly want to work, play, and otherwise live their lives until the day when they're just "my friends" instead of "my gay friends."

conclave27

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well yes.

It's not really gay rights. It's about treating all people as fairly as possible regardless of ethnic background, religious or spiritual value, culture, sexual orientation, or gender.

If we truly consider ourselves enlightened or a civil society we need to treat people fairly and objectively. It doesn't mean we tolerate certain extreme behaviors, but if the person is acting as a responsible, contributing member of society, that is not acting malicious.... they should have be treated equally.

JasonO

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
"Who cares about the bottom feeders when you are on top of the food chain?"

Mitt Romney

While that isn't a real quote, it often holds true on this issue. For many people, it doesn't have much immediate presence in their household, and therefore is not something they need or understand a need to fight for.

laptev

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Interesting question and I hope I'd be answering it with a loud 'yes' - though I admit it might not be on top of my agenda if I were straight, I think I would still feel strongly about equal rights regardless of my own sexuality.

Reactions: headbang8