I'm 58 and don't look 40 according to Wal Mart

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Freddie53, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Freddie53

Gold Member

I almost put this in ETC, but since it has to do with how I look, I put it here.

I bought some wine the other day at Wal Mart. I was ID'd. I made a joke about it, that is until I found out Wal Mart's policy in the state where I live.

Unless the cashier is sure that you are 40 or older, they have to ask for your ID.

Needless to say that at age 58, I am taking this for all its worth. I just love to tell over and over. (and over some more)

That

I'm 58 and don't look like I am 40 yet.

I'm even looking for more websites to join so I can tell my good fortune at Wal Mart the other day.

Don't break my bubble now with stories that there might be other reasons I was ask for ID. Just let me bask in this sunshine for a day or two.

After all, the other day someone in their 70's was wondering if we were about the same age. Bad eyes it was it was. They just can't see anymore! I have no idea how they ended up on the floor with a busted lip. NO idea AT ALL!:confused::biggrin1:

Feel free to add posts about how I ACT under 40 as well! I can listen to that ALL DAY.!!!!! LOL:smile:

2. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

There is an AARP joke in here somewhere...

all over, in fact...

(love ya, Freddie!)

3. STYLYUNG

STYLYUNG New Member

One time I had to run over a block to meet a man who had called from my office wanting to see me. He had gone outside to smoke a cigarette while he was waiting for me. When he came in, he said, "You won't be running like that when you get to be my age". How old are you?, I asked, "I'm 58!", he answered. I said, "I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm 72 already!" The smokes had made him look like he was 75 or more. That happened seventeen years ago. Yes, I'll be eighty-nine on May 9, '09. Now, my long-kept secret is out! Stylyung ( Still young! )

OLDMAN9X7 has me beat by a year and and sixteen days! Congratulations GRAMPS!

4. turnstall

turnstall New Member

good for you yoou look younger than 58.....now move on.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Bask in the glory of that good feeling as long as you wish Freddie. :cool:

I know exactly how you feel. :smile: When I met my bf's brother last fall he thought I was 27. I was 42 at the time. :biggrin1: To say that I gloated doesn't begin to describe how I reacted. Sometimes I still tease my 29 year old beau that people think I am younger than him. :tongue:

6. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

if you look that good, I definitely wouldn't want you to "act your age" :naughty:

7. Honey123

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Freddie dear, I've admired your charming good looks for as long as I've been on this board.

When I was 38 shortly after I met my now ex and we were talking birthdays I mentioned that mine was coming up and said that I would be 39 years old. He looked so sad, that's when I found out that he was 27. After we got married he told his mother that I was 29 and she was still upset that he'd married an older woman. I wonder what she would have done if she knew the real age. I'm not sure if its just good genes or all the money I spend on my moisturizer, but I am NOT going to age any faster than I have too.

I'm 49 now and look much much younger, I passed for 35 the other day. K8 is another one that doesn't look her age.

8. sdbg

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Right on Freddie! You must have a healthy lifestyle that keeps you young for your age. I just turned 58 earlier this month and feel blessed that I can still do what I can do. I'm careful about what I eat and ride my bike about 100 miles or more weekly. Even so, a WalMart clerk would never card me!

9. open501s

open501s Member

I am 40 and I get my ID checked more than I don't get my ID checked.

10. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

I want prove you look under 40! We need pics! :biggrin:
    Quite nice to hear I guess. Question, why do you need the be over 40 to get some wine! That is quite ridiculous to be honest... I can buy alcohol from when i was 16...

11. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You need to be at least 21 to purchase alcoholic beverages in the states. I went through Tennessee last week & was surprised to see a much older woman getting "carded" while buying a twelve pack of Budweiser. I mean, she definitely did not look younger than 50 but the clerk still required her to show her ID.

**By the way...congrats Freddie!

#11 TopDudeFtl, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  12. D_Jared Padalicki

21 okay, but why 40? That is so weird.

13. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    Pieter, I am sure the age limit to purchase alcohol in the OP's state is 21 (as it is in all of the US). WalMart and all other sellers require a clerk to make an age judgment at the cash register. Since an 18 year old can look much older than his years, it seems that WalMart management picked an arbitrary and sufficiently old age appearance under which the clerk must check ID. I'm sure their rational is that, if you look 40, you must be at least 21 and it is OK to make the judgment not to ask for ID. The other but more annoying alternative is to card everyone.

14. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Some of the more southern states are very particular about enforcing their liquor laws. The will often send undercover agents in to pose as buyers to make sure they "card" everyone. That way there can be no excuse for a clerk to not "Card" someone who is under 21 years of age. I know it sounds silly but it's their way to make sure no one under 21 buys alcoholic beverages. Simply put; it's exactly as Freddie mentions, some people do not "look" their age.

15. D_Jared Padalicki

I don't want to do difficult, but why 40? That is a huge difference between age 21. And wine isn't liquor, normally, not here. I must say, I love Belgium more and more :biggrin1:

16. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Don't be stuck on 40, as it's any age, really. Keep in mind how backwards a lot of thinking is here in the states. A simple glimpse of a nipple gets major television networks big dollar fines. I grew up working in my family's restaurants & bars. We were very strict on "carding" people because not only could the establishment be fined, the employee could loose their job and worse; they could be charged if the person drinking underage was involved in a car crash and hurt or killed people. I must be honest; regardless of the local laws where ever I may travel, I thoroughly enjoy pulling out my drivers license to show that I am "of age"! :tongue:

17. 8060

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Way to go, Freddie! Good for you for looking nearly 2 decades younger. That's HOT!

Bask away, friend!

18. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

A lot of restaurants and bars here card EVERYONE, regardless of how old or young.

They look as a way to avoid servers letting anyone who looks older than they are from being served alcohol if they are, in fact, under 21.

It's a way for restaurants and bars to protect themselves from potential liability due to employee mistakes.

I take getting carded as the ultimate compliment. I don't think I look 21, and I don't think I look my age, either.

19. D_Jared Padalicki

Well let's conclude I'm amazed, and not allowing people to drink, has the effect that people will try more to get alcohol, so more problems... But yeah, that is my opinion :biggrin:

20. 8060

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Pieter, you crack me up sometimes:biggrin1: Do you understand how the policy works though?

Draft saved Draft deleted