I'm A Barista Wanting To Ask Out A Customer

Terracotta36

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not relationship advice persay but I'm a male-presenting barista of sorts that thinks one of my very regular customers (also male-presenting) is really cute. He comes in every morning and I always give a little wave when I see him (which I do with most regulars, not that he would know that). The few times he's come in during lunch he's given a really enthusiastic wave and smile when he'd seen me. I'd really like to ask him out (for after this whole Covid19 thing) but have barely talked to him and have 0 clue what his sexuality is. I'm trying to avoid making a fool of myself, embarrassing the poor guy if he's straight, and not getting scolded for asking out a customer. Thoughts?

A

AnthonyAdkins

Don’t do it at work, try to get friendly sure but if you’re seen hitting on customers at work you could get fired. Maybe try to get his insta or something so you can chat outside of work and after that eventually ask him out. That’s what I was intending on doing with a hot customer at my job, though he hasn’t been in since all this went down so who knows when I’ll get another chance

Poivre89

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I agree not to ask him out but maybe try and find him on some type of social media. I am regular at a coffee shop and it is a pretty ideal customer service situation to get to know your guests. Maybe casually compliment a shirt or something like that or go out of your way to remember his order if he gets the same thing. Also maybe download grindr and see if you spot him on there as a key to know if he is gay or not. Or even tinder.

Reactions: titan1968

Growing123

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
One day just ask him out of the blue if he wants whipped cream on top. If he looks at you in a confused way just pull an exaggerated pout and stare at his crotch area. He'll know what you mean. If he walks out in disgusted outrage it means he's straight.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One day just ask him out of the blue if he wants whipped cream on top. If he looks at you in a confused way just pull an exaggerated pout and stare at his crotch area. He'll know what you mean. If he walks out in disgusted outrage it means he's straight.

And the store possibly looses a regular customer , not to mention the hello wave may stop

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Not relationship advice persay but I'm a male-presenting barista of sorts that thinks one of my very regular customers (also male-presenting) is really cute. He comes in every morning and I always give a little wave when I see him (which I do with most regulars, not that he would know that). The few times he's come in during lunch he's given a really enthusiastic wave and smile when he'd seen me. I'd really like to ask him out (for after this whole Covid19 thing) but have barely talked to him and have 0 clue what his sexuality is. I'm trying to avoid making a fool of myself, embarrassing the poor guy if he's straight, and not getting scolded for asking out a customer. Thoughts?

Sooner or later, it's going to happen - perhaps you will move on to a role in business and you have an opportunity to use "persay" in a written context. And, that's when you are going to learn that the correct term is "per se".

So, here I am, trying to get you past that embarrassment today when, hopefully, it will be a little less painful. :)

Yeah.. I would switch stores if someone did that to me. You don't have to be straight for that to disgust you.

Reactions: Poivre89

I'm trying to avoid making a fool of myself, embarrassing the poor guy if he's straight, and not getting scolded for asking out a customer. Thoughts?
Best advice: don't shit in your own nest.

There is a world of people out there. Don't make your workplace your dating site. That sort of thing can get you fired.

Terracotta36

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sooner or later, it's going to happen - perhaps you will move on to a role in business and you have an opportunity to use "persay" in a written context. And, that's when you are going to learn that the correct term is "per se".

So, here I am, trying to get you past that embarrassment today when, hopefully, it will be a little less painful. :)

Wow, yea— Y'know that really does help a bunch... I feel way better about being a single line worker paid minimum wage that is crushing on a customer to which they've barely spoken after laughing at your sad attempt at mansplaining a random user on the internet on the correct spelling of "per se." Really just perked me right up, thanks man.

Terracotta36

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And to everybody else, thanks so much for your input! I greatly appreciate your thoughts— I figured it was a bad idea; I might see if he's interested in following me on insta and taking it from there but I'm not gonna flat-out ask him out on the cup or anything (although that idea sounds adorable).

Thanks again, everybody!

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Wow, yea— Y'know that really does help a bunch... I feel way better about being a single line worker paid minimum wage that is crushing on a customer to which they've barely spoken after laughing at your sad attempt at mansplaining a random user on the internet on the correct spelling of "per se." Really just perked me right up, thanks man.

Yeah, well, what happens if you hook up with your crush and things are going pretty well. Then you send him a text or something with "persay" and he's like, OMG, I can't hang with a guy who doesn't know the correct phrase is "per se!"

See? I helped you out. You'll thank me one day. :)

Terracotta36

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yeah, well, what happens if you hook up with your crush and things are going pretty well. Then you send him a text or something with "persay" and he's like, OMG, I can't hang with a guy who doesn't know the correct phrase is "per se!"

See? I helped you out. You'll thank me one day. :)

The day I begin caring about the opinions of people that care about my spelling and grammar enough to correct me on it is the day I've truly given up on life.

japetty

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you don't know anything about this person don't do anything. Keep your personal life and your work life two separate lives. Mixing your home/sex life with your work life is one of the worst things anyone can do. Since this is your workplace and this person is a customer work is very much involved. YMMV

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Your a barista, not a doctor... Heck, ask him out. Maybe just a simple "wanna get a drink sometime" kind of thing. Don't hang on it. If he gives you a funny look, just move the chat to another subject. No harm no foul. Now if it was the other way around, I would not ask the barista because it's his job to be friendly and welcoming.