I'm a human being!!!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by novice_btm, Dec 19, 2009.

1. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    OK, or in this case... I'm also a member.

Look, I'm not whining. I get it. I'm a Mod. I wanted to be a Mod. I enjoy being a Mod. However, long before I was ever a Mod, and still concurrent with being a Mod, I'm a Member as well. In that light, sometimes when I get on here, I really just wanna look at a big dick. Oh, don't get me wrong, I'll drop everything and help you, but really please consider that Mods wanna have fun too.

So... If you need to report something, try to use the "report" function (that little exclamation mark, inside the yellow diamond, that's on almost every item on the site). That sends the item in question/of offense/in violation to the Moderator's Forum, where all the Mods see it, and can act on it. The issue is this... In the past 15 minutes, I've gotten 4 PMs. "YAY!!! Someone wants to chat with me," I thought. Um, no. All four were just reports. And you know what happens with those PMs? Yup, I click the little "report" button, which dumps my PM into the Mod's Forum for discussion. :smile:

Contrary to what anyone may think, with very few specific exceptions, Mods can't, shouldn't, and don't just arbitrarily act on things, because most issues require a discussion in the Forum. "But this one time, this one Mod..." Yeah, yeah, I know, but if it has happened, it's not the norm, and not something I've seen since becoming a Mod. So anyway, using the "report" feature, is really the best action you can take.

Believe me, before I was a Mod, I did the same thing, and mainly because I didn't know. But now I'm telling "all y'all", so that you do.

USE THE "REPORT" FUNCTION! :smile:

If you feel something is too private, or you have a question about if something should be reported, I'm definitely available. But if it's a generic item, you'll skip the middle-man if you just "use the report function," because 10-to-1 odds are, it'll need to be discussed.

Now, if anyone needs me, I'll be in the Gallery. :biggrin:

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed, are those of the member novice_btm. They are in no way meant to speak intentionally, or unintentionally for any other members of the Mod Team.

2. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've known you (although not as close as I would like :wink:..NO, not that way, as friends, lol) for a couple of years longer than you have been a mod, and you are much more than a human being, you a caring, funny, and sincere person. You were one of the 1st ones that spoke to me back when I first joined.

I pm'ed you once before with an issue, but it was not because you were a mod, but because I respected and trusted your opinion. Luckily, you had some experience with the same thing, and totally helped me to look at it a complete different way. That's the Novice that I was hoping for.

Sorry to hear that you're having some difficult times. To those of us that have known you prior, you will always be Novice, the member, more than the Mod. I just miss how much you used to pop in with some very humorus posts :biggrin1:

3. novice_btm

Albums:
    THANKS!!!

But first, again, let me say, I'm NOT complaining, but rather explaining. I'm really just trying to let people know that PMing a "report" to me, instead of just reporting it themselves, adds unnecessary complexity to the process. OK, and it takes away from my gallery time. :tongue:

Let's compare:
    A) If jeff black clicks the "report" button on a thread, and says , "Hey, I think the user 'ImOnly16' is underage, because in this post I'm admitting I'm a minor, he says he's 16." That report dumps into the Mod Forum to be discussed.

B) Now say instead, jeff black PMs that message to me. Now, I have to PM jeff black, say "Thanks" (hey, I'm polite that way), then *I* click the "report" button on his PM, and say, "Hey, from what jeff black PM'd me, 'ImOnly16' might be a minor. We need to discuss this. Oh, and by the way, I'm not really reporting jeff black, or his PM, but this report is just relaying the message in that PM." That report now dumps into the Mod Forum, for all the Mods/Admins to discuss.

Now, CG63, I can't thank you enough for the kind words. I'm glad that any insight or perspective that I had on an issue was helpful. Whether Member or Mod, us helping each other out here, is what we sometime lose sight of doing. As for my posts losing their humour, well, I hope that they haven't. I was probably just feeling rushed, and didn't have as much time to be witty, because I was busy with Mod stuff, like reporting a PM... well, not the PM itself, but something in it that someone was telling me, but I mean, I wasn't reporting the person for what THEY said, but reporting something that they said was said, because... :confused: um, nevermind. :tongue:

4. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am a human bean, fu fu fu.

It's a hard knock life as a LPSG mod! :tongue: Keep at it and all those other nice phrases.

5. AlphaMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Why are you being so mean to me after all those nice PMs I sent you??? Haha, kidding :tongue:

6. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh shoot, misunderstanding:redface:

Your posts haven't lost their humor, they just don't come often enough for my tastes, lol. Completely understandable with how busy I'm sure you are!!

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Oh poor you! I'm thinking about all those PM's from you when I was a moderator. Just as an FYI there is a report button in your PM box if it's something that needs moderator attention. Sometimes members just want to use you as a sound board for an issue.

8. novice_btm

Albums:
    First, you actually more asked me for advice. Second, if only you were the ONLY one! :tongue:
    (Actually, you weren't even one of the four that I was referring to this evening)

It probably doesn't help that for the past 2 weeks, 85% of the people that I know, and me too, have had whatever this ridiculous thing going around is, that neither the annual, nor the H1N1 flu vaccines, seemed to protect me from. It's hasn't made me the happiest camper lately. Arrrrrg!

9. novice_btm

Albums:
    Um, did you miss the whole...
    ...part? :wink:

And again...

10. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Aww, ** brings homemade chicken soup and warm brandy, and fluffs Novice's pillow for him**

Feel better? :smile:

11. novice_btm

Albums:
    I just might be perking up already. :smile:

12. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Good. Let me know when you're ready for some more, uh, fluffing :wink:, lol

13. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Whiner. :wink:

14. naughty

Gold Member

Novice,

I hear you. I dont think people can truly understand until they have walked a mile in your shoes. Being a moderator can be a mixed blessing.Hang in there...

15. novice_btm

Albums:
    SQUEALer! :tongue:

Thanks, but really, I'm fine. It's actually nice knowing that people trust me enough to turn to me for help and advice. At the same time though, I'm trying to explain the process.
    (OK, and maybe a hint that I don't always need to be a part of it. :wink: )

16. naughty

Gold Member

Good. Well, I hope those that it is intended to reach are helped by it.

17. novice_btm

Albums:
    There are a handful of people that may start receiving a link to this as an auto-reply to their PMs. :tongue:

18. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Two thoughts to add to this.

When one sends a report via PM to any particular mod, the issue will sit until that mod comes online or finishes whatever they are doing elsewhere on the site if online already. Also online status doesn't guarantee activity. If you walk away without logging off the online status lingers for 30 minutes. Sending the report directly to the mod forum by using the report button ensures the issue recieves attention soonest.

My other thought regarding PMing reports to Mods, while not true in all cases, is that it can seem as though the person sending the report is hoping the personal touch will curry favour and that the mod they sent it to will act as their advocate. I can think of one member who did this constantly in trying to get her way.

Using the report button sends it to all mods at once for unbiased treatment. Sending it to just one mod risks the appearance of seeking biased treatment.

19. novice_btm

Albums:
    1) That's true, I never log out. I just leave the browser open in the background, even when gone to work for the day.

2) I resent being called a "her", regarding my pre-Mod practices. :tongue:

20. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I don't think of you as a Mod. You'll always be Novie to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted