I'm about a degree from a heatstroke.

The temp has fallen a little here to 27C but its still too humid, i'm not looking forward to a good nights sleep

This is why you might want to consider getting an air conditioner. You won't need it most of the time or sometimes even for a year. But Europe seems to be getting more of these heat waves (think France) and even if you only use it for a few days a year, it could make your life much easier. They're like first aid kits. You may rarely need it, but when you do, it's essential.

Otherwise, I suggest opening your bedroom windows at night then setting your alarm for just before dawn. At that point close your windows and pull your curtains and draw your shades. Make your room as dark as possible and keep the door closed. This will help keep your room cooler than the rest of the environment by a few degrees. If you have sheer curtains then get some blankets and use them to insulate the windows. Dark and cool is good. A north or east-facing room is cooler than others and a room with cross ventilation is better than one with none.

I do feel sorry for you guys. Dealing with heat when you're not used to it is awful. I know when I go down south it can take up to a week to acclimate to the temperature/humidity difference and that's one miserable week! It's much easier to gradually adjust to it with seasonal change as we usually get to do here in the states.

Just take it slow and rely on cool fruity drinks. If you're making lime, lemon, or orange ade (citrus is great for this), add sugar as it helps with quickly processing the citrus juices. Heavy sweating depletes your salt content so a really nice thing to do is to rim your glass with lime or lemon and then dip the glass in kosher (and only kosher!) salt like with a margarita. That will give you a really great glass of limeade or lemonade. And do use a lot of ice. I know you people have a thing about iced drinks but do it like we do when it's very hot out.

Oh! And yes!! Do wear an all-cotton T-shirt under another shirt even if it's just a T-shirt. You will actually stay cooler. Same thing with bedtime. Keep a cotton sheet on your bed and then direct the fan on to that and you. You'll sleep cooler. The only time you want to not wear a T-shirt is if you have linen clothing. Linen has the unique property of absorbing moisture and is the only material that's stronger wet than when dry. Linen fibers are hollow and they will take-up your perspiration and help keep you cool by releasing that moisture, creating an evaporative effect. This is why wearing linen in the heat is so popular. Just be sure to keep drinking. You'll know you're hydrated when you pee clear urine (again though, be sure not to rely exclusively on water).

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So its nothing in global terms but its 29 centigrade, i'm sitting in my loosest underwear with all my windows open and a fan going full blast directly at my head (shoulder one!) and i'm still too hot, any tips?

Get a fucking Air Conditioner.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
When you get the mister out don't just spray yourself. Spray up towards the ceiling too. As the mist descends it cools the air as it evaporates. I know theoretically that should increase the humidity too, but it seems to work for me.

MarkLondon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Get a fucking Air Conditioner.

I just did. Someone gave me one of those portable units where you stick the exhaust hose out of the window. It's great! But I don't know where I'm going to store the fucker for the 50 weeks of the year when it's not a heat-wave.

Still, I'll worry about that later. :smile:

S

superbot

Honestly I'm ashamed of my countryman,are they men or mice for goodness sake? I'm a professional gardener and I've been working 9 hours today in it and 9 yesterday with no problems.Stop complaining and enjoy it surely won't last!!!....

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
but i can't swim :frown1:
:eek:
Really? But you live on a big island! For some reason I'm always surprised when people who live on islands (like Manhattan) can't swim. Then again I have been swimming since I was 4. :smile:

A cold shower or get in a pool. If you are sitting in front of that fan, a periodic spray of mist should relieve you momentarily. You perspire to cool your body and regulate that temperature. Cool water will do that on your skin just the same as perspiration.
They sell misting fans over here on a variety of web sites, such as Bed, Bath & Beyond and Frontgate.

Nearly two weeks of Wimbledon and no rain. Now that's got to be a first!
Shhh, don't jinx it! :shhh:

Mitchymo, I am so disappointed that you are wussing out in this normal summer weather. :frown1: Today it has cooled off to a down right balmy 31.1 degrees. There is a pleasant breeze which we haven't had in a while. For most of the last 10 days it has been about 35.5 degrees celsius. This is typical for the southeast United States.

FWIW:

Overexposure to ultraviolet light is thought to be a primary cause of many melanomas, we recommend the following precautions:
  • <LI class=style6>Avoid "peak" sunlight hours -- 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. -- when the sun’s rays are the strongest. <LI class=style6>Seek shade whenever possible. Remember "No shadow…seek the shade!" If your shadow is shorter than you are, the damaging rays of the sun are at their strongest and you’re likely to sunburn. <LI class=style6>Wear protective clothing, including a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses and long-sleeved shirt and pants during prolonged periods of sun exposure.
  • Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen with a Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 15 or higher, 15 - 30 minutes before going outdoors and reapply every two hours, especially when playing, gardening, swimming or doing any other outdoor activities. Sunscreens should not be used to increase the time spent in intense sunlight or instead of protective clothing.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:smile:

:eek:
Really? But you live on a big island! For some reason I'm always surprised when people who live on islands (like Manhattan) can't swim. Then again I have been swimming since I was 4. :smile:

True but i a) live in the very middle of the island and b) my single parent couldn't afford to pay for my swimming lessons when everyone else was having them at primary and secondary school, in high school i got some lessons but only 6 in two years and i managed to swim unaided the width of the pool after that time but no doubt i would just sink if i tried again now

Mitchymo, I am so disappointed that you are wussing out in this normal summer weather. :frown1:

Its not normal for me tho. I love the sun and i dont actually mind the temperature on its own but the humidity that always seems to go along with it here that really bothers me

Oh that's no good Mitch. Call Atherstone at 01827 722198. Right now the NWBC pool is free through March 2011. They can tell you about how to arrange for adult swimming lessons.

It's got to be better than sweating your balls off in your room.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Its not normal for me tho. I love the sun and i dont actually mind the temperature on its own but the humidity that always seems to go along with it here that really bothers me

Best stay away from the tropics then.

Yes, temperature is only part of the picture.

But humidity in London today is only around 55%. Hong Kong is fun this time of year, around the same temp as London, and nice when the sun is shining - but often combined with 90-95% humidity - at night.

Now that will give you something to sweat about! :biggrin1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:smile: Its not normal for me tho. I love the sun and i dont actually mind the temperature on its own but the humidity that always seems to go along with it here that really bothers me.
Oh, humidity! You didn't mention that. I can't abide hot and humid. I have ansthma and if I'm out in that for too long I tend to wilt right before I start wheezing.

Oh that's no good Mitch. Call Atherstone at 01827 722198. Right now the NWBC pool is free through March 2011. They can tell you about how to arrange for adult swimming lessons.

It's got to be better than sweating your balls off in your room.
:eek: The veritable plethora of unusual information which you have at your fingertips astounds me. :notworthy: Remind me never to play Trivial Pursuit with you . . . unless of course you are on my team. :wink:

They are gone. I killed both of them, and the trap has been reset since the second one died.

Good!! That's great to hear. Rats suck more than any other vermin. Did you ever find the access hole?

:eek: The veritable plethora of unusual information which you have at your fingertips astounds me. :notworthy: Remind me never to play Trivial Pursuit with you . . . unless of course you are on my team. :wink:

Simple quick and dirty research. Nothing astonishing about it.

B_theOtherJJ

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Cos there is value in that invention in a nation that 300 days of the year its cold!

Maybe, but it sure is worth it on those other 65 days that you are burining up. When it is really hot, there is NOTHING that will cool you down for a long period, maybe just 5-10 minutes, so unless you fork over the bucks for AC, you'll just be sweatin baby....

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A couple of fixes are:

1) Get some freezer blocks (you know, the things you use in cool bags etc) and stick those in front of your fan. They're more effective if you freeze them first. Get a heap of them and have some freezing while the others are thawing. Failing that, you can use a bowl of ice although you get better cooling with the freezer blocks. Just remember to put them on a tray or something as you'll get a lot of condensation.

2) Run cold water over your wrists. It's more user-friendly than the wet towel on the back of your neck.

3) Get a dehumidifier. It's best to close the doors and windows if you do, but keep the fan running.

4) It's anything but environmentally-friendly and a little impractical, not to mention expensive, but put the fridge or freezer in the doorway of you room with the heat exchange elements outside then open it. There you go, instant AC! Ideally, block up the rest of the doorway and close your windows to keep the heat out.

5) Leave central England and head for the coast where it's cooler, or the Med - at least it's a dry heat there!

6) If none of those work, go to visit someone who has AC.

Think yourself lucky. I'm in a top-floor office (so I get the heat from the roof too) in a south-facing cheap metal building with one small window which will only open about six inches. Even worse, because of what I'm working on, I've got to have three PCs running and can't open the door to get a through draught cos of confientiality issues. Deffo time to move.