I'm Ashamed of myself

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_N Flay Table, Jan 21, 2007.

1. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

So tonight I was out with the 'chick'
    and we were walking through old town pasadena,
    when we walked by this drunk bum..
    and he starts yelling at her, about her stinky dirty panties. or something..

here is where it gets bad..

I got in the guys face...
    I NEVER DO THAT KIND OF STUFF!!

I told him he was very disrespectful, and being very rude..
    and he starts taking off his shirt, like he is going to beat my ass or something.

and I stood my ground and said to him, "do something, I gauentee that you are the one that will be going to jail"

until his friends came up and dragged him away kicking and screaming..

man, am I embarressed.. I am so NOT a tough guy, but it just struck a nerve with me.. people can say whatever they want to me, and I laugh it off, im mellow, but when I feel like someone is threatening 'the chick'..
    I get angry..

what an ass I am :frown1:

2. DGirl

Gold Member

You are so going to get LUCKY tonight:wink: ..."
    Your the MAN, that is your JOB..."
    Don't feel bad...":smile:

What if you would have just walked away?
    You would have a VERY PISSED off women and won't get LUCKY for a LONG, LONG, LONG while!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I am glad that you did not have to FIGHT!!!
    Mr. Tough MAN in the house!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin1:

3. Daxe

Daxe Member

You have nothing to be ashamed of. In part you did the right thing defending your wife. What you did was not wrong it was risky. I think you handled it the right way but, it could have gone south quickly. In that situation most of us would have a hair trigger when we are defending a loved one. So you are not a ass. You kept things at a verbal level. Remember though the world is a crazy fucked up place so be careful ass hole.

4. scanjock8

scanjock8 Active Member

Albums:
    Chivalry is nothing to be ashamed of man. You exercised restraint and showed respect for the girl you were with--all women deserve that.

5. meatpackingbubba

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    1) Be careful of whom you confront. You never know what weapon they may be carrying or how many of their buddies may be coming up behind you;

2) It has nothing to do with being a "tough guy". The toughest, most well trained martial artists and marksmen whom I know are nevertheless all about AVOIDING confrontation. They are secure in the knowledge that they can hurt someone if necessary. Because of this secure confidence, mere words to them or their wife or girlfriend will not rise to the level of requiring physical force;

3) Learn to walk away with a smile on your face. As you said, the guy was drunk. IF he pursues you and forces a physical confrontation that is a different situation;

4) While self defense can be legal justification for taking physical action, it can nevertheless result in unwanted ramifications, both physical and legal. You are obligated by law to take EVASIVE action before confrontational, meaning if you can walk away (or flee) the situation, that is what you must do.

The bottom line, in my never-so-humble opinion, is that the proper course of action would be to pull your woman close to you for her protection, ignore the drunken bum, and walk on as if you did not hear the guy in the first place.

One more thing: the first rule of self-defense is AWARENESS. If you see someone like the drunken bum, avoid him to begin with. Cross the street if necessary.

6. canon

canon Active Member

I don't think you were being an ass at all. However you may not have made a smart decision. Street people are often drunk from alcohol and/or drugs. You can't argue with either. You put your gf in an embarrasing and fearful position. Choose your battles but this one was one you should have stayed away from. It could have turned very ugly. I see nothing good coming from this situation.

7. D_Elijah_MorganWood

D_Elijah_MorganWood New Member

My old neighborhood! I love that place. The bums there are usually pretty peaceful. I've had to tell a couple to back the fuck off. They used to come in my store for free coffee. God how I miss Old Pas...

8. Principessa

Gold Member

Don't be, you did the right thing!

True, he could have been violent, but he wasn't.

9. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    GOOD JOB: confration without violence, a lost art that someone should teach BUSH

But more importantly:would you have done the same for ME DJG? Be my knight in shining armour! :)

10. D_N Flay Table

D_N Flay Table New Member

well.. the last time I got in a confrontation, was when I pulled into a gas station, and these Highschool kids.. Football players, seniors, big guys, were harrassing this openly gay guy, (he had a rainbow sticker on his car)
    they circled him, and were shoving him around. I got between them, and they backed down.
    It is a code of ethics to help people that connot help themselves. :)

11. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I wih more people epsoused that same code DJG

12. madame_zora

Gold Member

I've done it myself when I was with someone who got harassed. I would take the advice of being aware of the fact that a lot of homeless people are drunks and or drug addicts, and can't be reasoned with, especially if they are lobbing obscenities at total strangers. I might have said, "Well, she's going home with ME pal, better than YOUR date!" and left it at that.

Draft saved Draft deleted