im excited!!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: i was standing in the kitchen fixing super, when 3 yr old, SweetiePea came racing into the kitchen with a smartie tattle smile. she starts yelling excitedly that 'mommy, Awon nees uh skankin!' (she has been known to earn the ol flyswatter a few times!) She is laughing, thinks its funny that brother is going to be in trouble.
    ok i thought, wonder what he is doing now. lol
    peeked around the corner and what did my wondering eyes behold? :eek: Aaron, was JUMPING on the couch!!!!!!!
    he was grinning from ear to ear and actually full fledgedly jumping!! i was sooooo excited!! :)
    he seen me watching and kept going almost as if, he thought if he stopped, he couldnt do it again. Then he started giggling!
    Wow!
    MY little boy, jumping!!

all those hours of PT, and all it took was a couch lol!
    :)
    Tender

oh, did i say he was MY boy? :)

PS guess ya figured out by now, im telling everyone i can... :) wanted to spread the great news!!

2. Imported

Gold Member

ORCABOMBER: Congrats Tender! I was partial to the old couch myself, I share his delight, but I think he shares the greater! :-*

3. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: That's wonderful news, Tender. :)

You may want to put a bit of an explanation as to why you're so excited for the newer members, though.

4. Imported

Gold Member

wvalady1968: That's great, Tender!

5. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Nothing makes a parent's heart burst at the seams as much as pride in our children's accomplishments.

You've got some celebrating to do, Tender!

*pops open the champagne*

Cheers!

6. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: For those of you who do not know, Tender's precious baby boy is differently abled and this is a major milestone!

I am thrilled for you, Tender... your mama's heart must be bustin'!

nony

7. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: Gee, thanks ya'all ... :-*

hey i figure if we can have a thread concerning football, baseball, politics, religion....
    why not our kiddos??

So, post away...

any cute stories?
    darndest things said??

Tender
    of course no ones little boy is as cute as mine ;) !

8. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: This almost seems cinematic. Like a scene in a movie! The boy striving against adversity, the loving/caring mother who will stop at nothing to support her boy, a story of struggle and love. And the climactic scene where he over comes adversity and takes a step on the couch. As he jumps, the mother comes running in-slow motion; they embrace.

Wow, amazing. Maybe you should look into script writing!

Congrats! :)

9. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: Gig,
    ::)
    :D
    Tender

10. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: *jumps too*

You know this IS fun!

*grins too*

;D

11. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: Congratulations Tender, great to hear that. I wish your boy all the best in life.

12. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: You know what you have to buy now, right? ;)

A trampoline!! :D

13. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Nah, just show him the bed. I used to get in trouble all the time for jumping on the bed.

14. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: You are right, gotta take baby steps. If the kid isn't prepared for the trampoline, who knows what'll happen!

15. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: ah, we used a trampoline in his therapy, gig!
    it was a small one.
    now the larger ones, im sure would be too bouncy for him to keep coordination, probably wouldnt be strong enough to stay up much...
    but then again he would still love it, and id have a fierce time getting him away from it... :)
    he doesnt have a bed, he sleeps on a mat.
    he is not allowed in his mommys room, he reaks havoc in there ;)
    my girls, jumped on their toddler beds, until one night they had a bright idea of unravelling the stitching....so now they sleep on the floor as well... :-/

Tender
    ps today is his birthday, he is 7!
    he was born the same date as his grandpa... :)

16. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Well, seven years ago you gave birth to what would become a bouncing baby boy...

Congratulations!

17. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: [quote author=7x6+C link=board=99;num=1067284446;start=0#15 date=10/28/03 at 15:52:24]Well, seven years ago you gave birth to what would become a bouncing baby boy...

Congratulations![/quote]

i read that a dozen times, Paul...
    Thanks...
    Tender

18. Imported

Gold Member

throb919: Tender,

I was so happy to read of your bouncing baby boy's real bouncing. It was great, too, to "hear" such real joy in your voice. Like so many of us here, I was touched by your comments in the "Philosophy" thread, but felt helpless as to what to say. How can I help...or make Tender feel better about herself...? I've wanted to say something ever since, and with this good news and your son's birthday, I'm finally going to.

(I've never really shared much personal "stuff" here; usually I'm rabble-rousing about gay issues or trying to be funny. Not sure if that's Southern reticence or just not wanting to "tell all my business" in public forum. There are so many very-real people here sharing such very-real parts of their lives, it's time I did, too. This may really ramble, but I hope you'll find something in it...)

My niece Aimee is a special needs child. She's a teenager now, but developmentally, much younger. She has never developed speech and her motor skills compromise her dexterity and mobility. She is one of the sweetest, most loving children I've ever known and still delights with pure, childlike wonder at life's "simple pleasures."

It hasn't been easy on her mother, my sister. I know she has, at times, been every bit as discouraged as comes across in your "Philosophy" posts. A lifetime of doctors and diagnoses, and we still don't really know much more about Aimee's condition. I've watched my sister endure the well-meaning conversations of other parents sharing developmental milestones that Aimee would never see. I know she's kept most of it to herself (as I suspect you do, too). But I have seen in my sister a resolve and a resilience that sometimes amaze me. And the love she's always given Aimee now shines in my niece. (I'm not one to proselytize, but my sister has always found strength in her faith. I don't know what you believe, but that "still small voice" inside us can provide encouragement.)

My sister learned American Sign Language and adapted signs to encourage Aimee's communication; my niece beams when others "include" her in the conversation by using her signs. Sometime in every visit with her "Uncle Tony" (even now) Aimee will repeat the alternating-thumb-and-forefinger "climb" from "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and give me a big hug. That was one of our first bonds and she reminds me that she remembers, knows, loves me.

Nothing could make Aimee light-up as much as seeing her grandfather, my Dad. They had an amazing relationship and she would quite literally knock over anything or anybody standing between her and getting to him! Over the past several years, Dad's health deteriorated with Parkinson's disease; he was in a nursing home for two years and gradually slipped away from us--dementia into unresponsiveness to just sleeping all the time. This was very confusing and upsetting to Aimee, and we wondered how much she understood. She'd sit on the edge of his bed and stroke his hand (more gently than any of us thought she could), look at Dad and then look back at us and make these signs: both hands in fists as if snapping a twig between them ("broke") and her index finger making dots on her cheek ("crying"). It made her sad that her grandfather was "broken."

My Dad passed away in July. At the funeral home visitation, my sister spent some time with Aimee looking at pictures of Dad (and had tried over that few days to explain it all to her). Aimee stood beside Dad's casket and signed: both hands in fists as if snapping a twig ("broke") + pushing both hands out and away from the body ("gone, finished, no more") + her sign for her Granddad + fingertips of both hands coming together ("with") + touching the palms of the hands with alternating middle fingers ("Jesus"). Aimee's grasp of the situation exceeded even my own.

Celebrate the jumps, the smiles, the "milestones" your boy will mark on his own terms, in his own time. Never underestimate what he can do, what he can understand, what he can feel--no matter what the "experts" tell you. And never--please, Tender--underestimate yourself.

Happy Birthday to your very special boy!

With love,
    Tony

19. Imported

Gold Member

Tender: [quote author=throb919 link=board=99;num=1067284446;start=0#17 date=10/29/03 at 09:20:45]Tender,

It hasn't been easy on her mother, my sister. I know she has, at times, been every bit as discouraged as comes across in your "Philosophy" posts. A lifetime of doctors and diagnoses, and we still don't really know much more about Aimee's condition. I've watched my sister endure the well-meaning conversations of other parents sharing developmental milestones that Aimee would never see. I know she's kept most of it to herself (as I suspect you do, too). But I have seen in my sister a resolve and a resilience that sometimes amaze me. And the love she's always given Aimee now shines in my niece. (I'm not one to proselytize, but my sister has always found strength in her faith. I don't know what you believe, but that "still small voice" inside us can provide encouragement.)

Celebrate the jumps, the smiles, the "milestones" your boy will mark on his own terms, in his own time. Never underestimate what he can do, what he can understand, what he can feel--no matter what the "experts" tell you. And never--please, Tender--underestimate yourself.

Happy Birthday to your very special boy!

With love,
    Tony
    [/quote]

Tony,
    thanks for sharing this.
    i appreciate it much.

as you said, there are a lot of DARK times.
    and off and on some small life pleasure makes it bearable.

i have a faith that i hold in regard to Aaron. and that is what keeps me hanging on.
    what you said about others well meaning conversation...yep i get that alot.
    it can be very discouraging.
    hard to have normal conversation when things are so not normal. with 3 kids in diapers i have a hard time getting anything done, let alone have time for friends much. (the net here, is my sanity lol) i dont really care to hear someones rant on how their boy struck out in little league. ya know? geez, they take so much for granted. i have nothing in common with that anymore.
    at any rate, i think i have in the past year or so finally hit the bottom stage of the beginning if that makes sense. you spend the first couple years wondering if hes developing right? the next couple years trying to figure out what IT is. then you go into this 'hope' mode, where you try diets, therapy ect or hope he grows out of it... finally, you hit the bottom and have to face it. this is what we are looking at, and its NOT going away. ya know? it is like giving up. but you have to do it. cant live everyday in a false hope... for something that is not realistic. :-/
    anyway im rambling now, just posted that cause i figure you have an understanding of what your sister has been through.

he spent tonight rolling in the living room floor under a blanket....
    his sisters thought, 'whats he DOING?!' :D but ah well, he had a ball!!
    he is ALWAYS giggles and hugs... :)

Tender

20. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Tony and Tender....

Both of those stories touched me quite deeply.
    Sometimes it takes looking at life in a different way to be able to realize how precious and fleeting it can be.

Those who have special needs are often forced to look at life differently....which can often mean that those of us who may not have those needs can often learn something from them.

Thank you, Tony, and Thank you, Tender, for sharing. The political threads had dropped this thread to page 2..but I think it would do well to have more people read it. We can all share in the triumph of another human being over whatever adversity or challenge they might have to face.

Paul
    7x6&C

Draft saved Draft deleted