I'm going to enjoy the bottom of this 12 year old

D_GlennFeckless

Account Disabled
Media
I go for the peat & smoke - southern Islay malt like a glass of burning Earth, conjuring up memories of my infantry days, patrolling among certain ancient lands perpetually ablaze.

The phenolic content is too much for many, if not most, but a true whisky fan will appreciate what Ardbeg has done with this malt. At least Jim Murray seems to agree with me.

Colour me educated. I never realised that such a blatant reference to pedophilia could be so amusing.

The pedigree of material used for humour knows no boundaries. That's human, thats life.

Last edited by a moderator:

D_GlennFeckless

Account Disabled
Media
And I'm enjoying my last and most savored dram of the finest whisky to never be sold in Scotland. I'm awaiting my next trip to the Far East to replenish:

"That the Parliament congratulates MacDonald Greenlees of Leith on its Old Parr Superior 18 Years Scotch whisky being the first blended Scotch to be judged in the prestigious Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible as the best whisky in the world, ahead of 3,600 distinguished malts and deluxe blends, with 97 points out of 100 which equals the highest-ever score in the publication; recognises that the blending of whisky in Scotland is a fine art that has made Scotch whisky the pre-eminent whisky in the world by enabling the mass production of reliable and consistently high-quality blends and that the blending of single malts offers the opportunity to create an outstanding complex whisky with many characteristics; further recognises the success of Old Parr in many export markets but regrets that Old Parr is not available in Scotland, and calls on Diageo, the owners of MacDonald Greenlees, to consider making Old Parr available in Scotland, if not permanently then temporarily, to celebrate its distinction as the best whisky in the world and calls for it to be available in the Scottish Parliament’s bar and shop." Supported by: Mr Bruce McFee*, Alex Johnstone*, Phil Gallie*, Mr Jamie McGrigor*

Scottish Parliament - Business Bulletin

Gotta love those tax dollars at good government work.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I prefer Bunnahabhainn or Bruichladdich myself. One to watch out for in nine years' time though is Abhainn Dearg. They've just released their first three-year-old, which is pretty good for its age and shows a lot of promise.

D_GlennFeckless

Account Disabled
Media
I prefer Bunnahabhainn or Bruichladdich myself. One to watch out for in nine years' time though is Abhainn Dearg. They've just released their first three-year-old, which is pretty good for its age and shows a lot of promise.

Ah, Bunnahabain - uisge beatha, for certain. I find the twelve a bit too easy to drink a lot of, though, which I generally realize a bit too late ;-)

Bruichladdich has such a broad variety of maltings - fantastic. A fair seetness; not as overpowering as, say, a lowland like Auchentoshan (three wood is a right proper Christmas pudding!). I'll often keep a bottle of Rocks about to ease newcomers into Islay malts, but some of the other varieties can be downright heavenly.

Haven't had the opportunity to sample the fledgeling young Abhainn Dearg's malting, but based on it's location I have high hopes for a whisky with teeth!

Cheers!

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought they were pulling our legs, but no ... they exist.
But almost all of them sound made up.
"Invergordon" and "Dalmore" sound almost poetic. It's the names like "Bleahargahargach" and "Urgaurgablarg" that put me off. (Those actually are made up.)