Im having a sleep problem.. Ive asked doctors.

cjj2k

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Im having a sleep problem.. Ive asked doctors. Thry are baffled. Im a semi-healthy 27 yr old (excluding my current alcohol absuse) But I cant sleep.. unless I drink. And that was cool for a while, but now its a problem. Im not a traditional alcoholic... i have stopped several times. For a year even... and I cannot sleep. Ive tried pills, otc, and prescription. Nothing helps! I wake up every 30 to 4o mins drenched in sweat. nightmares, the whole works. I was born with asthma, but havent had a problem since i was 12. but after my late teens, if i stop drinking, i cant sleep. It only takes a bit, and im ok... but if i have none, its nightmares and soaked bed sheets. The best ive found is stick a pillow between my legs to absorb the sweat.... but the rest of me is still drenched.

I really dont wanna drink anymore, but i have no insuranse, and no job thanks to the drinking. Ive asked for help, but like i said, doctors really dont know... Am I supposed to kill myself with drinking, just to sleep... or die of sleep deprevation? jeeze! (may be the wrong forum... i just needed someone to talk, and i visit this forum more)

But i had a siezure from alcohol 6 months ago... and was in the hospital for 6 days. Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else?

cdog204

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
^^That's awful.

Have you tried some sort of sleep aids? Perhaps Valerian Root? It smells like dog poo but it helps most people sleep, and you can get it at any GNC and must drugstores like CVS or Duane Reade.

Do you continue drinking during the day or is it just to get to sleep at night? Either way, probably not good for your overall health going forward.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ok first of all alcohol is not the way to solve this. Seizure's are a common effect of alcoholism. If you don't have any insurance there has to be a sliding scale clinic of some sort around you that can get you on something like thiamine/folate so that you can detox from the alcohol without having withdrawal symptoms like seizures. I can't give you an honest answer for your sleep issues since I am not a physician. Maybe you need to see a psych dr a lot of people suffer from night terrors they can try to help you. A medical service physician may not be the way to go.

Please do not try to stop drinking on your own without help from a physician if you have a history of withdrawal seizures, the other symptoms that you have can also be caused by withdrawal. Nightmare's, sweating this could all be linked to withdrawal.

Also FYI you can walk into any emergency room in the US and they cannot refuse you service and they should refer you to your local treatment center.

Last edited by a moderator:

dkmilker

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This could be an anxiety issue. when you're in bed and trying to fall asleep do you find that your mind is racing or your thinking about problems (like not being able to sleep) and cannot quiet your mind? Or do you feel relaxed and peaceful, but just can't fall asleep? The nightmares are a clue that the problem may be anxiety related. See if you can find a therapist to talk to that works on a sliding fee or can get you some federal health assistance. If you are un or under employed there may be financial assistance available that you don't know about. Good luck!

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
First, before anything else: get treatment for your alcoholism. I've seen too many people get addicted to the sauce, and they screw up their lives. Perhaps there is an underlying cause for your addiction? It might be a good idea to see a therapist. They can probably help you get to the root of the problem.
Also, night sweats such as you describe can mean an underlying health problem...but it sounds to me like you're killing yourself by drinking too much. Get help for that!

curious_angel

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Being an insomniac can be a nightmare! No pun intended. When you're tired everything can seem worse.

Although your insomnia sounds quite different from the symptoms I get, I have found that Yoga really helps. I do a lot of sports but I find Yoga is particularly useful for helping me sleep. Plus, trying not to get too stressed about a lack of sleep. Easy to say, I know, but reminding yourself that your body can cope with very little sleep might help a little.

I think you already know that your drinking is not helping you.

Good luck :smile:

cjj2k

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As I said, I already been thru detox... and all they did was give me valuum every 2 hours so I would pass out. Didnt help with the problem afterwards... And I know im killing myself, thats why im asking for help. The U.S.-ER cant do shit about it obviously. U.K. sent me to a different hospital.

And as I said, AFTER detox, I still have the problem.

Thanks for the replies that were sincere tho.
Curt

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
You need to get to a licensed therapist to get you on some drug therapy. Sounds like the doctors are not very good.

If you are at the point where a valium every 2 hours is needed you are very addicted.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
It sounds like you have a lot of difficulties right now. I would recommend two things:
A psychiatrist/therapist. It sounds like you have a lot of stressors going on in your life. You need a safe place to explore those stressors and issues, which are your insomnia, and your alcohol abuse, which may be evolving into dependence. Add that to not having a job or insurance, that will do something right there.

Then there's your insomnia. It could be the result of anxieties, or it could be the result of an underlying condition such as Sleep Apnea or something similar. If at all possible, I'd say find a local clinic that offers things like Sleep Studies at a low or nominal fee cost.

I've been a life long insomniac, and it sucks. I read an article in a magazine or newspaper that talked about a significant increase in accidental fatal overdoses of prescription drugs like Xanax, Oxycontin and Vicodin.

Knowing what it's like to toss and turn for hours and just want to close your eyes, I can understand; 'cause at some point you'll do anything to sleep, or you'll certainly take anything just to sleep a good night.

wellhung9

Experimental Member
Media
I have sleeping problems too. It's not so much falling asleep as it is staying asleep. After about 4 hrs of sleep i start waking up probably every ten mins and this lasts for about another 4 hrs. I do not have alcohol issues, but has anyone ever had this problem. I'm definitely really tired while this is happening too. It's not like my body is just so well rested that i'm ready to wake up.

B_hijack

Experimental Member
Media
Im not a traditional alcoholic... i have stopped several times. For a year even... and I cannot sleep. . . . It only takes a bit, and im ok... but if i have none, its nightmares and soaked bed sheets. The best ive found is stick a pillow between my legs to absorb the sweat.... but the rest of me is still drenched.

Did you have sleep problems (insomnia, nightmares, sweating) after, say, half a year of no drinking? I think that this is an important thing to consider.

cjj2k

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have sleeping problems too. It's not so much falling asleep as it is staying asleep. After about 4 hrs of sleep i start waking up probably every ten mins and this lasts for about another 4 hrs. I do not have alcohol issues, but has anyone ever had this problem. I'm definitely really tired while this is happening too. It's not like my body is just so well rested that i'm ready to wake up.

this is what im saying... I just use the alcohol as medicine... oddly enough its sold in drug stores. I seriously have a problem sleeping, and i dont want to be an alcoholic!! is that so hard to understand?!? (sorry trying to sleep here).

wellhung9

Experimental Member
Media
damnit, my dad had sleep apnea so I probably will get it. But I'm still really young and don't snore, which I heard is a big indicator. My dad didn't develop it until he was almost 60.

alx

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sleep problems can be VERY complex, no one on here will have an answer.

Is it only sleep thats the problem? Are you noticing anything mentally, or anything behavioral?
Feelings or senses, vision?

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
this is what im saying... I just use the alcohol as medicine... oddly enough its sold in drug stores. I seriously have a problem sleeping, and i dont want to be an alcoholic!! is that so hard to understand?!? (sorry trying to sleep here).
Have you taken Ambien CR?

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sleep problems shouldn't be solved with prescription. I used to have the problem but I realized that many aspects of our lifestyle can be detrimental to our sleeping patterns. For example, stress can be a huge contributor. A mind that doesn't rest may prevent you from having a quality sleep. You also may be very active in the last hours of the night before sleep, which make your body adjusted to being active, releasing hormones that can promote wakefulness, that results in lack of sleep.

So, maybe you want to start with those first? I hope this helps.