I'm not going to read your post...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by ManlyBanisters, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

...if it starts with a line that tells me how I'm going to feel about it or how I'm going to react to it.

Posts that start "You're going to hate me for this but..." or "You'll think I'm crazy but..." or "The women* will jump me for this..." or "I know you won't agree with me..." and so on and so on - I'm just not reading any further.

* or 'men', or 'Christians', or 'atheists', or 'liberals', etc., etc..

You've already decided how your readers are going to feel about it - you're not opening a dialogue. All you've done there is make a statement and told your audience that you don't want or value its actual responses.

Don't tell me how I feel about something. Don't presume to know how I will react.

I fully expect a bunch of people to respond in this thread humorously with 'you're going to hate me but...' type posts. I won't read those either.

I can't hand on heart say I'm certain in my post history here that I've never used a phrase like that - I don't reckon I have that often and I certainly won't be doing so in the future. It's a crap, apologetic way of attempting to make a point - it insults your audience and it insults yourself.

2. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It is like

i am not a racist, but ...
    i have lot of black/gay/whatever friends, but ...

Presume and preventing certain reactions to your statements is weak, if you don't think your opinion can stand agains the response why throw it out there?

Sometimes you got a walk a hitter if you don't have the stuff to get him out and take your chance with the next one.

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    ie the bolded bit.. Have you decided that I've decided that I know how you feel?

Maybe I'm am just stupid and want to use that type of phrase as an icebreaker to start a conversation.

4. Northland

Gold Member

So let's see...

You pass judgement on a post based on the first words? Interesting. Read the entire text, there is often value within or perhaps something to which you can respond and thus educate either that or another poster on the topic.

Then you say you won't read posts in this thread which don't follow your rules. Great! By the way, it goes against the supposedly open attitude you earlier show when criticizing people by saying they don't want an open diaglogue. Clearly, neither do you. It either follows your rules or it's wrong- quite like the way you've been carping about the Women's Issues section and your plea for a subsection. I took another look at the subheading/description of the Women's Issues section, it says: "A special place for women" so again, why the subsection, other than to try and bully people to your way of thinking, much as you have in the two threads you began on the subsection topic. In both, you tell people where the post should be made. It's ugly behavior.

You finish off by admitting you may have been guilty of such behavior in the past, then say it won't happen in the future. What are you a soothsayer? None of us is aware of all which will take place in the future.

And shouldn't this be in the Women's Issues section or even the Relationships section as it is about relationships/interactions.

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

These aren't 'rules' - I'm just saying that I won't read posts that make an assumption about the reader's reaction.

And Northie - you can't bully me into responding to your gripes about another issue here. I told you - while you are taking an unnecessarily aggressive stance and insulting me in the process I'm not going to enter into a discussion with you.

vince - I don't care if people are using it as an ice-breaker. Saying 'you're gonna think I'm crazy but...' is often another way of saying 'I think I'm a bit crazy but...', yes. One that I find clumsy and unnecessary and off-putting. It makes me feel judged and disinclined to read on.

6. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I know I've started off some of my posts "I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but"...

Which some members found amusing, I simply do not wish to cause an arguement and I am just giving my opinion on the subject or what I would do. Having encountered several overbearing personalities I have started becoming quieter on the board. I'm not here to argue with anyone, so sometimes I start my posts off in this manner. I don't expect anyone to reply to anything that I say.

7. Northland

Gold Member

Manly, I am not trying to bully you, neither am I being agressive and I have not insulted you. I am stating my view.

8. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

You were aggressive and insulting in the 'Petition' thread and you have tried to drag that (one-sided) fight in here.

I'm not interested.

9. Northland

Gold Member

I didn't feel I was being agressive, if I was, then so were you as you scolded me by saying the post belonged elsewhere. I only brought it here, as a reference point, again, not done as an act of agression, and I wonder why you'd think it is.

10. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Hey Vince,

Us stupid people will just have to suffer through, knowing that someone won't be reading our posts :frown1:

11. shyguy1985

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    you're going to hate me for this...

....but I dont care what you do and dont read, that post just read like you wanted a good old whinge.

As I started with the 'you're going to hate' line you wont read this, so wont re-act to what I have said at all.

12. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    It annoys me in everyday life, too. :mad:

"Waddaya think of this...isn't it amazing?!", er...I'll be the judge of that, thanks - rather than having to rubber-stamp your opinion. Grrrr.

#12 Joll, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  13. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Somebody woke up on the wrong side of hungover!

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Joll gets it. I guess I'll just read his posts, then :wink:

Who dat den?

15. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Did someone piss in your cornflakes madam? ;)

16. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Now we're getting picky about the sentiments that some use in their posts?

We all do something that annoys somebody, and we all have particular things that annoy us. Some of us just don't publicly post them to try and make others conform to our way of thinking.

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    To be honest, I've never started a post that way, nor would I. Generally, I don't much care if someone thinks what I post here sucks.

I see MB's point. In the example of "The women here are going to jump all over me for saying this, but....", I think it's a douchy, passive aggressive way to attempt to shut down other opinions before they are even voiced. Many people do it unconsciously I think.

But if someone says for example, "You may think I'm stupid, but the Chevrolet is a damn fine automobile". I'll just agree with them. "Yes, you are an idiot."

18. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

In my case you are not going to read my post because you have me on ignore for upsetting you over a joke. Thankfully it suits, melodrama is a downer and you seem to be queen of it at times.

19. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Awww, lol.

Well, perhaps you can reach a conclusion for me when reading them, cos I often can't haha.

Actually - to answer other comments on this thread, I do read beyond the opening gambit, but I find it slightly irritating. It's understandable sometimes, if the poster is feeling a bit nervous and wants you to reassure them slightly 'You'll prolly flame me for this...(but hopefully you wont, and you'll realise I'm sticking my neck out a bit, and give me the benefit of the doubt)'.

However, I'm a bit sensitive to having my opinion manipulated. Someone in my family does that a lot, and it's a pain in the arse, because your stance is already laid out for you. Plus, u look like a twat if you disagree - and it also invalidates your assent if you do happen to agree. Oh well. :S

#19 Joll, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  20. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm sure I'm in the same boat :rolleyes:

So, in that case, May I hold your "oar"? :biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted