I'm off to the dorms.

twistedwrister

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm going off to college in one month and I'll be living in the dorms. My dorm has a bathroom/shower at the end of each hall. I haven't actually seen it though so I don't know exactly how it's set up. Who has gone to college and stayed in the dorms? How are the showers set up? Is it open, is there curtains, do you just go in a towel, do you need "shower shoes", etc? I'm kinda nervous cause I don't know how private it is and I haven't ever showered in front of other guys before. So any information or possibly stories would help. :smile:

~twisted

B_devilsnight007

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
good luck in college!

i know here, in the new dorms they just built, they have two seperate rooms, but the rooms are connected and have a common bath/shower/kitchenett that u share with ur roommate..

i'm goin to university in the fall.. but i'm lucky enough that i live close enough to drive.. but i'm thinking of maybe moving for the winter.. i dunno yet..

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The dorms I lived in had curtains over the showers. Towel around the waist or not depends on your comfort level. You can see what the other guys do too. "Shower shoes" are good for preventing athlete's foot. In any case, it's not a bad thing to get used to showering with other guys around. I mean, we've all got dicks, so what is there to be ashamed of?

smoothrnb

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It sounds like you will be living in an older dorm. Like the ones that I lived in 20 years ago and are much different than newer ones. Older dorms usually have a "group" shower room with several shower heads (no curtail/dividers). However, newer dorms usually are configured in "suite style" floor plan where a group of rooms (usually 2 or 4) share shower(s) and toilet(s). These provide much more privacy, but fewer opportunities to check out who is big and who isn't....:smile:

I fondly recall my college shower time...a time when a guys talked about their classes, hall activities, etc. Maybe, this is why I enjoy socializing with nude gay men. Anyway, it is always a good idea to wear shower shoes. I agree with Matthew about proper "going to/leaving" shower attire. See what returning guys do and follow their lead. We were required to wear a towel or shorts to and from the shower as we had women who were housekeepers. I kind of wished we could have walked around nude....:cool:

Good luck in college and enjoy it!

You're talking about a typical residence hall type traditional dorm, where an entire wing or floor shares one or two large bathrooms. You'll most likely find one of several things:

When the hall was first built 40 years ago, it probably just had one big open room with multiple shower heads. It's possible that this is still how it's set up.

It's more likely that it has been updated with some kind of partitions and/or curtains. The school that I go to has eight traditional old-fashioned dorms like you'll be living in, and the shower configurations are different in each building. Most all of them have curtains of some sort. One building I lived in during my first two years (I got an apartment off-campus for this year!) had partitions separating each showerhead and a curtain between them to create a "stall." When you stepped out of the shower, there was another curtain so that you had kind of a little toweling-off area so that no one ever has a possibility to see anyone else w/out a towel. That is a very unusually high level of privacy for a dorm shower setup, but they run the gamut.

Basically, no matter what the setup is in your building, you'll get used to it, even if it is just an open room full of showerheads.

You'll be fine as long as you wear a towel going back and forth to the shower, and you DEFINITELY want some kind of SHOWER SHOES!!! At most schools the showers do get cleaned every day but when you have 20-50 guys using the same showers there's no telling what the guy before you did in there. You could also catch a foot fungus. Flip-flops or any water-proof sandals are fine. I never wear sandals of any sort, so I just go to Wal-Mart and get the cheapest sandals they have for like $3.00.

Sorry for my long-winded post but I hope it was helpful for you. I worked for my school's Freshmen Orientation this summer, so I've been answering questions like this from people all summer long.

scorpio1444

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know how your dorms are set up, but they're all different. Mine had group showers in the middle of each floor which were group with four shower heads. Except the first floor: it had the main entrance with a stairwell dividing the hall in two, and each half had two private stalls with curtain.

I was in a group floor and was pretty worried about popping a woodie because mine pops right up in a second. But the fear of it happening and just not thinking about anything sexual prevented it from ever happening beyond an occasional semi. That wouldn't draw any attention because lots of guys had morning wood semis left over from bed in the shower. It was enjoyable though, although frustrating! We all went in the hallway wearing just a towel.

A few tips....buy a standard round little plastic bucket to carry all your toiletries to/from the bathrooms. Buy cheap flip-flops to wear in the shower. Hope you like college as much as I did! It was great!

robmass42

Experimental Member
Media
Good luck in your first year of college.

Maybe I'm just out of touch, but don't kids have to take phy ed and shower at school any more?

It's surprising to read about a guy who has never showered with other guys before. My teenage son has done it since 6th grade.

Blueshift

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
In lots of places in the USA at least there is no longer showering after PE class. If there's showers at all they're generally reserved for someone who has vomited on themselves or fallen into mud puddles or been sprayed with some kind of horrible smelling substance. Not just for after gym class.

In the dorms at my college there are large shared bathrooms in the dorms with partitioned showers with curtains. My first year I lived in a suite-style dorm and shared a single shower with 4-5 other guys, no problem at all there except sometimes having trouble getting showered before class because someone else was using the shower.

If you have problems showering around other guys, there's always night or during the afternoon. A shower a day doesn't have to be in the morning.

dfox7.3x5

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was in a fraternity in college. We had a big gang shower. No privacy, which I didn't mind at all. Wow, there were some huge cocks in the house, and most of the guys were proud to show them off. Which always made he erect, and while I wasn't as big as many of them, I still got admired. Fun times. That was back when guys couldn't admit they turned each other on, but anyone looking at me knew where I was coming (and sometimes cumming) from!:smile:

8.5x6

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
dfox7.3x5 said:
I was in a fraternity in college. We had a big gang shower. No privacy, which I didn't mind at all. Wow, there were some huge cocks in the house, and most of the guys were proud to show them off. Which always made he erect, and while I wasn't as big as many of them, I still got admired. Fun times. That was back when guys couldn't admit they turned each other on, but anyone looking at me knew where I was coming (and sometimes cumming) from!:smile:

Well, at my college each floor has a huge room with partitionned showers and hotel-style bathroom stalls...most people go around in flip-flops or shower shoes just cause you fall on your ass if you don't lol

Snozzle

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Being comfortable to be nude in front of other people is a useful asset, like tying bows or reading analogue clocks, and ideally should be learnt about the same age. But it's never too late. Like diving or bungy-jumping or going on your first escalator, you just have to forget your fears for the moment it takes to make that first step. What you'll probably find is that nobody reacts at all, contrary to your fears. Men are trained not to stare. If any does, you may have made a new friend.

My own experience in this regard was traumatic (I was forcibly stripped and thrown into a swimming pool by some guys I'd stupidly insulted) but once it was over, I thought, "If that's all there is to it, I'm not going to worry about it again" and in fact I became quite compulsively nudist, even joining a club. Nowadays I can take it or leave it alone, but other things being equal, I prefer it.

mustang43

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just finished my first year living in the dorms and I had a suite style bathroom which I shared with my roommate and the 2 guys next door. However, I had spent the night in other dorms with communal bathrooms and there are curtains. DEFINATELy wear shower shoes. One of my friends got a staph infection from showering barefoot and had to get skin grafts or something like that. Cheap rubber sandals work the best. Also, communal showers give great oppurtunities to see girls walking down the hall in towels, and having them see you if you have both guys and girls bathrooms on that floor. Just enjoy it man, it'll be the craziest time of your life.

GeorgeTSLC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I can't deny all the good reasons to wear shower shoes. But I've used multi-man showers for some 50 years off and on and have never caught anything.

(Those easily made queasy should skip the next paragraph.)

I've also had a fungus infection in my toenails for even longer than that--nothing threatening, just disfiguring. So I've developed the (doubtless medically indefensible) theory that the nail fungus keeps off the athlete's foot.

D_Squeezes Unction

Account Disabled
Media
GeorgeTSLC said:
I can't deny all the good reasons to wear shower shoes. But I've used multi-man showers for some 50 years off and on and have never caught anything.

(Those easily made queasy should skip the next paragraph.)

I've also had a fungus infection in my toenails for even longer than that--nothing threatening, just disfiguring. So I've developed the (doubtless medically indefensible) theory that the nail fungus keeps off the athlete's foot.

And one assumes you're responsible enough to wear shower shoes to prevent said fungus from spreading...

rangisrovus19

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yeah, sounds like my dorms. not a big deal at all, i wore sandals... sometimes. there weren't that many guys in our hall (like ten). and we were all comfortable with each other and respected each other's cleanliness. i met my best friend in my dorms. you'll have a fuckin' blast.

GeorgeTSLC

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
tucson_sizequeen said:
And one assumes you're responsible enough to wear shower shoes to prevent said fungus from spreading...
Reasonable response, but my podiatrist assures me there's no danger of spreading it that way. The 'Net suggests that wearing closed shoes is more of a risk factor! (Ain't civilization gr8 . . .)

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Twisted,

Have you had orientation yet? If not, ask the person/people leading your group a few questions or even if you can check it out while on campus. With as much $$$ as you, your folks, and maybe Uncle Sam is helping fork out for your dorm room, it's a more than fair question. If it's a dorm they don't need during summer and shut it down, a visit might be impossible...just have to ask and see what is said.

I just finished two years of dorm life and will be living off-campus this fall. It does have its pros and cons, but if you're flexible and/or out-going, I think you'll like it overall. If you are extremely shy and take a while to open up, it may not be as much fun as it could be.

As far as shower etiquette goes, I'd say start out conservatively and then go from there. Take a bit of time to see what is appropriate for the floor of guys you live with, first. It's not that you should hide your body, but it can be easier to go with the floor culture on that kind of stuff than against it. My first year group of floor mates was the more conservative kind, the "robe-wearers" if you will. The second year group was more "ehh, who cares?" when it came to robes and towels.

Anyway, good luck, study hard, and party when needed ;)

YouxSlut

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
twistedwrister said:
I'm going off to college in one month and I'll be living in the dorms. My dorm has a bathroom/shower at the end of each hall. I haven't actually seen it though so I don't know exactly how it's set up. Who has gone to college and stayed in the dorms? How are the showers set up? Is it open, is there curtains, do you just go in a towel, do you need "shower shoes", etc? I'm kinda nervous cause I don't know how private it is and I haven't ever showered in front of other guys before. So any information or possibly stories would help. :smile:

~twisted

Good luck to you and wow that sound so sexy. You and other guys showering together SO SEXY!! Well just like you, august 21 is my first day of school and i will also be staying in a dorm. I don't know how imam do this, when i get horny how am i to play with myself when i have a roommate and yea.. i'm quite scared.

Nomad

Experimental Member
Media
I lived in two older dorms when I was in college, and they each had their own setup:

1) Individual showers with curtains with an open toweling-off area.

2) Individual showers with curtains, with a private, curtained toweling-off area.

And the newer dorms have semi-private bathroom shared just by a couple rooms each, so I doubt you have much to worry about.

I haven't read all the replies--maybe you're worried about privacy masturbating in the showers? Everyone did it in the stalls when I was in college--don't worry!

And YES, wear shower shoes!

iyikedralling

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you'll worry less about who's looking in the shower, and more about trying to get a decent wash out of the inevitably shitty showers there are on every campus across the country.