I'm Radioactive

Really and truly. I had a PET scan today and they pumped me full of something radioactive and then sealed me in a room until the scanner was ready.

I don't like radioactivity. It bothers me intensely. I think it was seeing China Syndrome at an impressionable age that did it to me. I even prefer night flights to day flights just to avoid radioactive exposure. Nevertheless, I had to do it and so I did. So as of right now, I'm contaminated. How contaminated? Tissues must be flushed down the toilet immediately after use, anything my saliva touches has to be avoided by other people, and I have to avoid small children and pregnant women which really sucks because my pregnant sister and her 5 year old son are here and we were supposed to have dinner tonight. I'm keeping my dogs, much to their anger, in a separate room, my poop is radioactive, and so is my semen (I've been advised, "to have a release of semen within the next 24 hours and then make sure it's into tissues which are then flushed). It seems like a bit much.

And what's weirder? They gave me a card in case a police car drives by me while I'm driving and I set off their Geiger counter OR I go into a post office or other public building which have radioactivity monitors because I will likely set them off. I feel like John Cusack in Fat Man and Little Boy. It's really creepy and while it only lasts 22 hours, they want me drinking gallons of water to flush it all out ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I know it's conceptually disturbing, Jase, but there was no way to avoid this test. The fact that it can even be done is a good thing. And in a day, it will all be over.

Tell your father that this was a rotten way to save on electricity this weekend, though. :wink:

gibguy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I was in the same scenario just over a year ago...had radioactive iodine as I had thyroid cancer! I was in a hospital room alone for 3 days, the nurses wore protective aprons and stood behind a lead screen when geiger counting me every 4 hours!

Had a wonderful toilet........was in 2 segments, one for urine and one for poop! I wanted to do a test to see how radioactive i was...so I dripped some urine on the floor after a pee and it discoloured the floor in seconds!

When released home, I had to stay in a room for a further 7 days......i ventured down after 3 days and sat with my bf and the animals for just over an hour....both he and the dogs had diahorrea 2 hours later so I was pretty potent!

Hang in there...you'll be back to your normal self soon...its definately worht the wait!!

Hey, superheros aren't supposed to reveal themselves RadioActive Man!?!!?!

Better keep it quiet or I'll stick a used Kleenex in your pocket!

I know it's conceptually disturbing, Jase, but there was no way to avoid this test. The fact that it can even be done is a good thing. And in a day, it will all be over.

Tell your father that this was a rotten way to save on electricity this weekend, though. :wink:

I took a Xanax before I went in it had me so wound-up. The CAT scan is actually a bit easier. This one you cannot move a muscle for 20 minutes so you better make damn sure you're comfortable before it starts though there's no breathing stop/start which is nice but of course I felt the need to swallow at some point, thought I had something in my eye, and realized that my neck had too little support and my arms were really uncomfortable. I used all my Zen/theater training powers and the techs complimented me on my ability to stay still enough though they didn't want to come near me (ahem).

I was in the same scenario just over a year ago...had radioactive iodine as I had thyroid cancer! I was in a hospital room alone for 3 days, the nurses wore protective aprons and stood behind a lead screen when geiger counting me every 4 hours!

Had a wonderful toilet........was in 2 segments, one for urine and one for poop! I wanted to do a test to see how radioactive i was...so I dripped some urine on the floor after a pee and it discoloured the floor in seconds!

When released home, I had to stay in a room for a further 7 days......i ventured down after 3 days and sat with my bf and the animals for just over an hour....both he and the dogs had diahorrea 2 hours later so I was pretty potent!

Hang in there...you'll be back to your normal self soon...its definately worht the wait!!

Oh poor you! I'm glad mine isn't that bad but it's still really freaks me out. I can't imagine what you had to go through. Thanks for reminding me I have so little to truly complain about. A little reality check is good for me.

I have a PET scan yearly. It is a little creepy, but well worth it.

I may need to do this yearly as well if I go into remission. I just have such a hard time thinking this is somehow not going to spawn all kinds of other cancers.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I had radioactive iodine followed by radiation for Graves Disease, (which is a hyperthyroid disorder) in December 1997. They sent me home that day but I was instructed to stay away from pregnant women and children under five, for 7 days. :yikes: My dishes had to be washed separately (I used paper plates and plastic forks) The down side. They gave me too much radiation at one time and I ended up with a radiation burn on my chest, my hair fell out as if I had done chemo, I ran a very high fever for 48 hours and I was nauseous, couldn't keep food down.

I may need to do this yearly as well if I go into remission. I just have such a hard time thinking this is somehow not going to spawn all kinds of other cancers.
I think you mean 'when' you go into remission. Positive thinking is of the utmost importance right now Jas. :smile: And I won't have you counteracting months of my prayers and positive thoughts with negativity. :tongue:

Last edited:

I had radioactive iodine followed by radiation for Graves Disease, (which is a hyperthyroid disorder) in December 1997. They sent me home that day but I was instructed to stay away from pregnant women and children under five, for 7 days. :yikes: My dishes had to be washed separately (I used paper plates and plastic forks) The down side. They gave me too much radiation at one time and I ended up with a radiation burn on my chest, my hair fell out as if I had done chemo, I ran a very high fever for 48 hours and I was nauseous, couldn't keep food down.

I think you mean 'when' you go into remission. Positive thinking is of the utmost importance right now Jas. :smile: And I won't have you counteracting months of my prayers and positive thoughts with negativity. :tongue:

It's a very small price to pay, honey.

I know guys. It's just a new and frightening experience for me. I don't know how to explain it to Sam. He was so looking forward to seeing me tonight and I can't do anything with the dogs. They should have gone to a kennel today. Ugh.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know guys. It's just a new and frightening experience for me. I don't know how to explain it to Sam. He was so looking forward to seeing me tonight and I can't do anything with the dogs. They should have gone to a kennel today. Ugh.
I was miserable when I was radioactive. :frown1: I missed the christening of my best friend since the age of 3's first child. :irked: I missed singing with the choir on Christmas Eve and I was really looking forward to both.:mad: It's disrupting and unpleasant; but it is a means to a healthier end.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
(I've been advised, "to have a release of semen within the next 24 hours and then make sure it's into tissues which are then flushed). It seems like a bit much.

Damn.

I'd feel spooked as well.

And perhaps the CIA, the NSA, the DIA and whoever else will be able to track your movements from now until...well... whenever.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I always knew you were hot stuff, Jason. :biggrin1:

I had radioactive iodine followed by radiation for Graves Disease, (which is a hyperthyroid disorder) in December 1997. They sent me home that day but I was instructed to stay away from pregnant women and children under five, for 7 days...

Yeah, my sister had that done, too. Fortunately, she didn't have the same bad reaction as njqt. Also, there were no small children in our lives at the time, so she didn't have to worry about staying away from them, although she did had to avoid the cats.

My sister was a little disturbed about being radioactive, but for the most part, we both got a kick out of it.