I'm shocked

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was out shopping earlier today and as I walked ino the shopping centre I held the open open for the woman walking in behind me ( I purposely do not use the term lady). Well as I did so she called me a Sexist Pig. My response was to "Fuck off and die". This is not the first time something similar has happened to me.

I would have held the door open for anyone who was following in behind me. To say I was surprised was an understatement. A couple of hours later I now find it quite funny.

What do others think about what I class as good manners being interpreted as sexist? Has anyone encountered anything similar?

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Daverock said:
I was out shopping earlier today and as I walked ino the shopping centre I held the open open for the woman walking in behind me ( I purposely do not use the term lady). Well as I did so she called me a Sexist Pig. My response was to "Fuck off and die". This is not the first time something similar has happened to me.

I would have held the door open for anyone who was following in behind me. To say I was surprised was an understatement. A couple of hours later I now find it quite funny.

What do others think about what I class as good manners being interpreted as sexist? Has anyone encountered anything similar?
Im the same way with people I will hold the door for man or woman . Say excuse me etc. I would be shocked too I dont know what to tell you. Thats fucked up

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
uncut said:
Im the same way with people I will hold the door for man or woman . Say excuse me etc. I would be shocked too I dont know what to tell you. Thats fucked up

I do the same and think the situation is shocking too...:rolleyes:

Long ago I work at the phone of a pizzaria delivery and I made the mistake after the woman place the order to say 'Mme'...:eek: omg...the woman went bananas and when she came to pick the order she was still piss off...:redface:

But than i understood her over reaction she was a 'butcher' lesbian, looked tough and all and she was a nice person after all...but i learned my lesson.:biggrin1:

But is shocking reactions some people have when we are just being polite...

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dave,

I wouldn't take too much time to be offended. It is assumed by some women in the feminist movement that whenever a man opens a door for her it is because he assumes she can't do it for herself. This is, actually, where the practice came from. In the middle ages doors where quite heavy then, and the average woman, in her very heavy dress, didn't have enough strength to open the door. Today, i think MOST people open the door for members of both sex, simply as a way of being polite and the ultra-feminists just use it as an opportunity to be pissed at something.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Pecker said:
Here's Daverock caught on camera.
Oh, I would've loved if this was the version of the story MUCH better.

My other favorite, is when you hold the door, and they walk through without even acknowledging you, as though you were their servant, or just plain invisible. :mad:

Gisella

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
novice_btm said:
Oh, I would've loved if this was the version of the story MUCH better.

My other favorite, is when you hold the door, and they walk through without even acknowledging you, as though you were their servant, or just plain invisible. :mad:

Yeh..me too, Novice..and when is a whole family ??? And more others and you are standing there invisible...but i notice that some times, the last ones of the bunch of people passing by us at are the ones that at least give a wick kind of a smille, maybe...:rolleyes:

Frostbite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
novice_btm said:

I usually toss a "you're welcome" after them, whether they thanked me or not.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Daverock said:

I don't understand this at all. I've witnessed this behavior on several occasions and am always dumbfounded when someone refuses to acknowledge someone's kindness. I do this for people all the time: men, women, and children. Once I opened the door for a wheelchair bound person who promptly told me to "piss off, I can do this myself". I didn't take it personally because whatever made her say that had nothing to do with me. I just happened to be the target of the day.

I'm sure you've found most people to be receptive to your good manners, as I have in the past. I like to help others when I can and if someone has a problem with it, I feel sorry for them. Kindness is highly underrated and vastly overlooked in our society.

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Frostbite said:
I usually toss a "you're welcome" after them, whether they thanked me or not.

This is one of my usual too.

Some great retorts and comments back from you guys. I loved LordPendragon's in particular - "No chance of a quick fuck then"?

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
one of the blatantly obvious things about america, which you dont see as much in other countries is a sincere lack of manners.....holding doors for each other, saying please, thank you, etc.....Opening the car door for a woman, helping an older person cross the street.....actually KNOWING your neighbor.....Referring to someone older than you as Mister or Misses, initially.....I do that even with my patients once they hit puberty and then ask if i can call them by their first name.....offering your seat to a pregnant woman or elderly person on the bus, subway, etc.....if someone is in a rush letting them go ahead of you in line.....it really is disguisting how there really arent any manners in parts of the US

and when i've been to NYC im amazed at how miserable everyone looks and that no one smiles.....its like theyre faces have been frozen miserable

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
baseball99 said:
one of the blatantly obvious things about america, which you dont see as much in other countries is a sincere lack of manners.....holding doors for each other, saying please, thank you, etc.....Opening the car door for a woman, helping an older person cross the street.....actually KNOWING your neighbor.....Referring to someone older than you as Mister or Misses, initially.....I do that even with my patients once they hit puberty and then ask if i can call them by their first name.....offering your seat to a pregnant woman or elderly person on the bus, subway, etc.....if someone is in a rush letting them go ahead of you in line.....it really is disguisting how there really arent any manners in parts of the US

and when i've been to NYC im amazed at how miserable everyone looks and that no one smiles.....its like theyre faces have been frozen miserable

I think you make some good points here. The more that good manners are received badly that faster we will see them dying out. I really detest bad manners and personally would not stop being "me " for fear of offending someone who was over sensitive.

I know what you mean about people not knowing neighbours. I have lived in many parts of Europe and found vast differences. On the whole the more rural the community the more friendly I have found people. The cities I have lived in have usually been very anonymous with the exception of Glasgow where you can meet someone and know their Life history after half an hour. This seems to be a West of Scotland trait.

D_Nick_Nibbler

Experimental Member
Media
Daverock

The best I ever heard for a situation like yours was - if she goes mad at you for holding the door open say "I did it because I am a gentleman - you sure aren't a lady!" However the plain "no chance of a fuck then?" comment did crack me up too.