I'm so proud of John McCain right now

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_NineInchCock_160IQ, Feb 27, 2008.

1. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

McCain apology angers conservative host - CNN.com

If McCain and Obama emerge as the two nominees this year for the Republican and Democratic parties, I'll be more interested in this election than I've been in any in... probably my lifetime. I mean, it's still the same old two-party bullshit that I hate... but... these two candidates are about as anti-establishment as we could reasonably expect to see I think without another third-party run like Perot had.

I LOVE that McCain is pissing off the colossal IDIOTS on talk radio. and his apology was so damn classy.

Hannity on his program today had fuckwit Cunningham on to tell his side of the story, and will have him on the television show tonight. Hannity is, no surprise, deliberately missing the point, asking his listeners if it's "okay" to use Obama's full name. It's not a question of whether it's okay or not. It's a question of how friggin' immature can you possibly be to use the kindergarten tactic of making fun of someone's middle name as a means to an end in a political debate? We should all be embarrassed every time we hear someone like Hannity or Cunningham resort to this, and I'm so glad McCain pointed this out. Not only is it completely immature... it's also so bigoted and cynical because the only reason they're making such an issue of saying it over and over again is because they are hoping that people will associate Barack with Saddam. obviously. and they're hoping that maybe the same morons out there who couldn't tell the difference between Saddam and bin Laden are going to start thinking Obama has some ties to Islam as well... and.. uh... DUH... aren't they the bad guys? It's already working on some people... I've actually seen people post seriously that "Barack may have Muslim tendencies" on this board.

It's not a question of whether or not it's "okay" Hannity. We get that it's his real name you dope. But, we're not all as stupid as your target audience. Most of us realize what you're doing. Does anybody here know off the top of their heads what John McCain's middle name is? Or Mitt Romney's? Or Mike Huckabee's? Or Hillary Clinton's? (it's not Rodham) no? of course not. It's a non-issue. Trying to turn it into an issue is pathetic.

It's retarded. It's shameful. but the talking heads are happy to continue to draw from this playbook, appealing to the lowest common denominator hoping that that will win them elections.

McCain has demonstrated that he doesn't want to do that. He's being civil. He's trying to remain intelligent. He's talking about issues and philosophical differences. God, that's refreshing. After 8 years of Bush/Rove condescension. A politician (and not just one, but two if you look to Obama) that is not talking to the American people like they are children. and I actually have some confidence that this will help him. It might piss of Cunningham and similarly fuckwitted morons who inexplicably have their own radio programs... but it's going to... or it should... appeal in a big way to anyone with half a brain in this country that is so sick and tired of this infantile party politics. People alienated by the whole process might finally come back to the table and vote.

2. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I just heard about this on NPR and I highly agree with you. John McCain is a real republican. He has honesty and integrity and is only one of a handful of Republicans that I trust and would vote for.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

It is just too bad that we cannot convince the liberal/moderate Republicans and the Conservative/moderate Democrats to form a 3rd party...

things would definitely change for the better IMO.

4. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

I may vote for john McCain becuse he is left handed :) right handed people dont think right just look at bush

5. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:

Was Bush a nasty campaigner? I ask, because I can't recall... not stirring the pot... I'm thinking he himself was pretty civil... Rove on the other hand... many hate him, but I have to give some credit... and what he was able to achieve.

The more I think about it... the more I realize how poorly Hillary's campaign was run... Obama provided so much opportunity... actually the more I think about it... Hillary had/has had an opportunity to bring and debate actual issues and plans... and I think they panicked too early, and went on the defense by going after him (which there really isnt' much to go after) vs. laying out and forcefully pushing an agenda(s). Bill also didn't help... I've seen him speak live twice since he 'retired', and the guy just has the angry, bitter tone to him... don't know what it is.

6. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Post of the month. Period.

7. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    McCain is a dinosaur. A dinosaur that won't effing fossilize. The Obamarama support is equally disappointing. But - hell, we have Sarkozy over here.

8. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Hannity may have more conviction than Bush... actually he does. The guy is so anti-wishy/washy... he forms an opinion 5 years ago... and sticks to it. Shame.

By the way, Dennis Miller Show... pretty freaking funny. Whether you agree with the new Dennis... when he throws out

"Hillary's universal healthcare plan was more shaky than Kate Hepburn flying a helicopter on meth"...

How can you not bust a nut... come on. I laugh as I type that.

9. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    We love Sarkozy. I live next to a great French family (7 years in the States), and they are seeing French culture go out the window, as well as the French gov't getting pushed around... Sarkozy appears to have said enough is enough.

Besides... you guys produce 75% of your energy from nuclear power... Sarkozy looking to up it even more. Fantastic.

10. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Vote Ron Paul

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amen.

As much as I like that Dr. Paul's libertarian stance matches my own on the great majority of issue, I've gone over toward the Obama camp because Paul lacks a crucial element, IMO...that ethereal set of qualities that make up leadership. His dispassionately intelligent views are simply not enough to inspire this nation of divided (and divisive) peoples to take the first steps toward change...to agree that there are, in fact, points that we agree on. That there is common ground between even the most ideologically separated of factions from which they can begin to build a broader consensus.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Cabinet role, or installed as the Fed chairman. Anything where his expertise in economics would benefit this country.

12. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Is Dennis still on? I thought he was a pretty funny guy before he became political. I was one of the small percentage of people that would get all his jokes and obscure cultural/historical references. I tried watching his talk show many times since then and it felt like he was trying too hard. (of course he has always been very scripted and prepared as a comedian... but he used to execute better)

I thought his show was canceled though.

13. midlifebear

Gold Member

Maybe faceking and Sean Hannity should get married. They have so much in common.

Edit: Oh, and I've always respected McCain. But you just know that loose cannon anti gun boat lobby will come out and claim that he really wasn't a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

14. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    Sarkozy isn't anywhere near the level of Bush, but he's not the most desirable leader. He's just too short. :p

15. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    No. He can't win.

Voting has become problematic in this country. Its voting for the lesser of two evils. The time for voting in the best man is gone; it seems to be local and state elections is where you can vote for the best man.

16. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Hillary has tried going negative on Obama and it's backfired almost every time. I think if McCain does the same it will have the same result. He's being smart.

Rove was nasty. Bush was fairly civil.

The thing about Bush was, like I said, he was and is condescending. He gives speeches like he's talking to a four year old. Using small words, simple phrases, and always always always staying on message.. repeating the same platitude or cliche. Usually some gross oversimplification designed by his advisers. It might not be outright nasty.. but for instance... during the Bush/Kerry campaign... it wasn't exactly high-minded philosophical criticism either. Saying over and over and over "the only thing consistent about my opponent, is that he's been inconsistent"... which was then translated into "flip-flopper" on the talk shows and again repeated over and over. It wasn't outright nasty but it felt like they were assuming that all voters couldn't grasp a legitimate or intelligent attack on Kerry's record, and so instead they resort to keywords and attack slogans that don't really mean anything. Kerry may well have lost for being labeled a "flip-flopper." Yet it would have been the same if they got people to think of him as a "farty pants," and would have had about equal legitimacy as an attack on his character.

"the only thing I can say about my opponents pants... are that they're farty."

17. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... and you and .. nevermind... back to civil debate.

18. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Actually, he's on the radio now, and it's a fantastic format for him... with a casual "sidekick" too. He's not angry or agenda laden, or on the constant attack (a la Rush, Hannity, Air America, [insert SF talk radio show here under the guise of 'nuetrality']).

He spends much of his time on pop culture still... and although he's a modern day Republican (socially liberal, fiscal conservative)... everyone is fair game... his analogies for anyone are funny. I'd say he is serious about 20% of his show. He can also find and comment on his respect for both sides of the aisle with sincerity vs the cynical respect.

I'm a pop culture/trivia fanatic... so his references at times are so deft, it's frightening.

I think he's gotta be on at least 100+ stations by now...

[edit: and he's a fun interviewer... not a tough interviewer, but a cerebrally entertaining one]

19. auncut10in

auncut10in Well-Known Member

Albums:
    in San Francisco until April, then back sailing in
    Wow I am amazed. What next: the Republican party that remembers what fiscal responsibility means, cutting government spending, balancing the budget, staying out of our bedrooms, less government? Who knows maybe McCain will actually bring back the soul to the Republican party. Maybe he will reclaim it from talk show hosts that would rather use every cheap shot instead of talking about issues and religious zealots that want to legislate their religion instead of worshiping in their churches.

20. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I'll have to see if there's a local affiliate that plays Miller's program. I'd rather listen to him than any other talk radio show I can think of off the top of my head.

Draft saved Draft deleted