I'm traveling to Tijuana!

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
From what I understand, going to another country to procure any sort of medicine or medical treatment is a very bad idea, period. Get your scripts at you local Walgreen's and have fun doing whatever else it is you'll be doing down there.

Mexico, is pretty safe... just don't go into back alley places, and keep it to the basics.... Vicky, Valerie, and the other 'girls'. I've been to a host of clean, bright pharmacias... 90% of the brands (just look on the back of the box)... you'll see Pfizer, Eli Lilly, Bayer, etc... major hotel sundry shops in Mexico (and other countries) carry them as well, and are a "safer" option.

meaner13

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was in San Diego on business and on that Sat. nite, we rode the trail to TJ. I had a great time, however, I strongly recommend on taking your driver's license. I just stuck a wad of money in my pocket not even thinking. Thank God I have blond hair and grew up in Kentucky. Otherwise, I was going to have to stay there until my friend got back with my ID. Have fun--you'll have great memories...or at least I do.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
If you'd rather have a more sublime experience, take the Mexicoach to the Mexicoach terminal. Get off and buy a round-trip ticket to Rosarito. Get on the Rosarito Mexicoach and spend the day lurnking in open-air markets with ocean breezes. You can rent a tired horse for a gallop along the beach and drop into any number of pleasant little restaurant/clubs for an adult beverage refreshment. There is also a bar with over 100 brands of tequila you can sample and buy. Plus you have the Pacific Ocean and cool sea breezes to keep you happy.

yes, rosarito is way better than TJ!!! i went there for my 20th birthday and i had a great time at papas and beer... ahhh, drunken memories
:beerchug2:

on top of that, rosarito is a teeny bit safer too and it's not as dirty. plus there's so many good places to eat and shop. the sea food is inexpensive since most of the locals are fishermen, so a huge shrimp and lobster dinner only costs around $15! the shops are better in rosarito as well, and there aren't as many annoying street vendors either.

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
As some of you know I will be in Tijuana, Mexico for a week later this month. I've never been, and was wondering, what is that part of Mexico known for, in so far as shopping? Are there any specific bargains for which I should be looking, such as: leather shoes, handbags, jewelry, pottery, textiles?

I've heard Mexico is as cheap as Canada for some meds. Is that true? Is it even safe to buy a prescription med south of the border? :confused:

I'm not a big drinker, but I would like to bring back a nice bottle of Tequila for my cousin. All I know is 'Cuervo.' What's the name of a good tequila I could be on the look out for when in Tijuana?

Also, I don't speak Spanish. :redface: Are there any phrases which would be helpful for me to know? Thanks to Rico27 I know how to say, "cuanto cuesta?" :smile: You can tell this isn't a business trip, as the first thing I thought, of was how will I communicate when shopping? :lmao:

First off....Can I go with you sweety? I need a vacation after the last few weeks I've had. Every one that I've know has told me that you need to be extra careful while in Tijuana (we wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you!) Hey, if you get a hold of some cheap valiums, can you share? I'll meet you in Chattanooga or Huntsville (lol I'm j/k folks). Oh as for some good tequila, see if you can find some Cabo Wabo. Its expensive here in the States, but I've been told it's well worth it. Oh, one last thing, don't ever pay the asking price on anything....haggle haggle haggle. Good luck, have fun, and be careful. Una :biggrin1:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yes, rosarito is way better than TJ!!! i went there for my 20th birthday and i had a great time at papas and beer... ahhh, drunken memories

on top of that, rosarito is a teeny bit safer too and it's not as dirty. plus there's so many good places to eat and shop. the sea food is inexpensive since most of the locals are fishermen, so a huge shrimp and lobster dinner only costs around $15! the shops are better in rosarito as well, and there aren't as many annoying street vendors either.

yeppers... after I sent my notes... I thought just going down the baja coast is 10 times better than staying in Tijuana (and PLLLLLLLLLLEASE do NOT pronounce it TIA-JUAN-A... it's TI-JUAN-A).

oh, and what I meant by a decent tequila that doubles as a keepsake [attached]... or at least something that you don't want to polish completely off and toss in the recycle bin

disclosure,... it wasn't a Denny's in TJ I went to... though I've been to Denny's in Ensenada.

Attachments

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was in San Diego on business and on that Sat. nite, we rode the trail to TJ. I had a great time, however, I strongly recommend on taking your driver's license. I just stuck a wad of money in my pocket not even thinking. Thank God I have blond hair and grew up in Kentucky. Otherwise, I was going to have to stay there until my friend got back with my ID. Have fun--you'll have great memories...or at least I do.

Been there done that. Act like a human being and a US citizen and it's easy to get back in.

Same doesn't hold true in much of Mexico, unfortunately.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey, QT, my dentist is in Tijuana, so I go there several times a year.

BUT, as Stacy says, Rosarita is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Tijuana.

Tijuana is good for a day or two, but it's a border town. Go south about 30 - 40 mins and it's much more well... Mexican. And the beaches are sooooo nice down there.

When you're ready to go, PM me and I'll give you...

-- The directions/address to the BEST pharmacy
-- The directions/address of the BEST fish/lobster restaurant. FABULOUS and safe food, and very reasonably priced.
-- Directions/address to the best coffee shop in Tijuana.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Hmm, mental note-good way to get Stacy drunk....
J/k.:biggrin1:

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Have a great and safe trip NJ - its been a while since I've been to TJ so I can't offer much by way of places to go/avoid, but since I am much of a drinker I can offer tequila suggestions. :biggrin1:

Cuervo is to tequila what Milwaukee's Best is to beer. :smile: Most of the Mexicans (and gringos) I'm friends with consider Cuervo swill. :cool:

If you want to pick up a nice bottle you'll probably find better prices in TJ than Stateside. My recommendations:

Blancos are lighter, "regular" tequila, usually used in mixed drinks: Casa Noble or Patron Blanco

Jovens and Reposados are aged a couple months and tend to be sweeter and have less of the "bite" than Blancos: Patron Reposado, Hornitos or Corazon Reposado

Anejos are aged for at least a year and are "sipping" tequilas. That means don't throw back a shot (or worse put it in a margarita) in front of a Mexican unless you want them to have a heart attack or think you've lost your mind. The best ones IMO are Cabo Wabo, Herradura or El Tesoro.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1. Donkey Shows: Yes, they once existed.
I knew what a donkey show was and no I have no desire to see one.

2. Tequila: For about $22 (or may be $16) you can buy a bottle of Hornitos Repasado Tequila. It is a light, clear liquid with an even lighter clear green tint. This is GOOD tequila.
Consider this added to my list.

3. Avenida Revolución has been paved in pink concrete and narrowed into a paetonal (walking street) with only one-way (sometimes two way) traffic. However, if you have the figure for it, Tijuana IS THE PLACE to buy a one-piece off-the-shoulder-strapless 100% leather cocktail dress. Black and red are very popular. They run about $85 to $100.
I don't now but it might be just the incentive I need to lose weight. :wink:

4. Medications:
Hmm, might not be worth the effort since all I need is asthma inhalers. :tongue:

5. Street jewelry and you're own shopping karma: Best way to avoid this is to visit a real jewelry store stuck on street level in one of the shopping galleries.
That's easy enough to do and remember.

6. Food: Sanborns (there are now two of these famous restaurants) are your best bet for sampling authentic and delicious Mexican food without worry of getting ill.
I may have to eat there every night eh.

Take a Mexicoach: Enjoy yourself.As for not speaking Spanish. Everyone who works as a sales clerk in a store speaks English. It's a job requirement. However, it never hurts to know how to say please, thank you, and where are the rest rooms.
I agree. Contrary to popular belief, on this site, I do know how to be polite.
Midlifebear your information as well as everybody elses has been priceless! Thank you, so much. :smile::wink:

First off, DON'T GO!!!!!!!! You are going onto a foreign country and it is not part of California.
I know Mexico is a separate country! :tongue::rolleyes: :duh:
You are on your own down there. As a native Californian, and living only a few miles from the border,
unless you have a specific reason to go down there, just stay away from it.
Thank you, for your concern; I do have a specific reason.

Even people I know of mexican heritage, who speak the language, don't go down there. It is unsafe, you have corrupt cops, and if you get involved in any kond of crime, it is arrest everybody and pay your way out. The place scares me, and I see no reason to subject yourself to it.[/QUOTE]
Funny, thats how I feel about Newark & Camden New Jersey. As for high crime and bad cops we have that here as well. If I'm not mistaken the New Orleans Police Dept. used to be one of the most corrupt in the nation. I appreciate your concern, but I am going. :cool:
If you want to see Tijuana safely, visit Old Town in San Diego
To see Tijuana safely I go to some fakeass Old Town in San Diego.:biggrin1: Do you realize how silly that sounds?

Plaza Rio is a decent place that comes to mind. Or if you want some great Mexican craftsware (dishes, decor, etc...) get the hell out of downtown TJ.
Plaza Rio, okay will do.
There are some great craftsman (wrought iron, traditional art) in the "regular" non-beachy part of Rosarito.
Uh oh will I need to pack an extra suitcase just to bring home artwork?

Personally, when I'm there... I go for the premium Mezcal.... smoky, yum.
I will add Mezcal to my list.

I have found some gorgeous small batch distillery tequilas that are in absolutely gorgeous bottles,
Now you are talking my language! I love decorative arts and decanters.

First off....Can I go with you sweety?
Of course you may come! Handsome men are always allowed to accompany me.
I need a vacation after the last few weeks I've had.
Every one that I've known has told me that you need to be extra careful while in Tijuana (we wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you!)
After having my passport stolen in Naples, Italy within an hour of getting off the plane 11 years ago, I have learned not to be oblivious to my surroundings. :cool:
Hey, if you get a hold of some cheap valiums, can you share? I'll meet you in Chattanooga or Huntsville (lol I'm j/k folks).
Actually I am in the markert for Advair which is my daily maintenance asthma inhaler,:tongue: it's $210.33 and Provigil which I need to control my narcolepsy is almost $300 at my local Wal-Mart pharmacy. I know I am so lame! I go to Mexico looking for cheap drugs and all I want is an inhaler and stay awake pills. :tongue::redface:

Oh, one last thing, don't ever pay the asking price on anything....haggle haggle haggle. Good luck, have fun, and be careful. Una :biggrin1:
I am the ultimate fleamarket/bargain shopper. Haggling is the only other language in which I am fluent. :biggrin1:

Good to know! That I will remember. :smile:
oh, and what I meant by a decent tequila that doubles as a keepsake [attached]... or at least something that you don't want to polish completely off and toss in the recycle bin.
That is beautiful! I have a Mikasa coffee pot in a similar pattern.

disclosure,...
it wasn't a Denny's in TJ I went to... though I've been to Denny's in Ensenada.
Why leave the country and eat something as mediocre as Denny's? :confused: I love Mexican and seafood and will probably come back 10 pounds heavier. :tongue:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dear njqt466:

If it's inhalers you need for asthma, the customs agents are VERY understanding about that. Even the steroidal inhalers are way less inexpensive. Regardless what you hear from patriotic Bush-loving 'Mericuhns, the exact same inhalers you need are probably available for at least half the price in TJ than at the Walgreens in San Ysidro across the border. And they are frequently manufactured by the same pharmaceutical company. Roche is a good example. Ace inhibitors for hypertension are a steal and BETTER quality than you'll buy in the USA because each pill (pastilla) is individually blister packed on cards in quantities of 4, or 6, or 10 to keep out the humidity. Thus, their shelf life is much longer. But you usually have to buy 50 or 100 pills. They don't like to break up packages.

Those cautioning that you should stay in a faux version of TJ in Sandy Eggo or El Lay (there's always Olvera Street in downtown dreamland) are people who should stay in Sandy Eggo and El Lay and should NEVER be let out of the USA. Probably the scariest part of going to TJ will be dealing with all of the hicks on Mexicoach who've never been off their front porch. To them California is a wonderland.

TJ is much safer than down town Los Angeles. And you'd be amazed at how many sales clerks actually live in San Ysidro (the US side) of the border and commute to work every morning to sell tchotkas to the tourists.

Trust me on the cocktail dress idea. I took my old (she's the same age as me) girlfriend from university to TJ five years ago for her birthday. They got her zipped up comfortably in a one-piece red leather come-fuck-me dress that she still throws on for occasional events at Lincoln Center. She insists that the dress still "keeps my puppies up and alluring." They're cut so you don't need to wear an under bra.

But, alas, the Tijuana of yesteryear does not exist today. Not many people realize it, but the Ceasar Salad was invented in Tijuana in the 20's during prohibition. Ceasar's restaurant is long gone (he died in 1993) and his obit made the front page of the New York Times. And he really didn't invent the salad. One of his waiters created it impromptu, table side for some hungry gringos and it caught on. Definitely a much tastier meal that Wendy's version with chicken strips. Oy! How to ruin a good thing.