Media
Sexuality
No Response

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think that Angelina (utilizing her skills from Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) and Brad (utilizing his skills from Fight Club) will teach their kids (natural-born and adopted) to fuck up shitty ass kids' playground bull shit degradating remarks.

I think that Shiloh, Zahara, and Maddox are all nice names. :smile:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
alex8 said:
And you think that being a pile of jolly shit makes it any better? :eek:

alex you know perfectly well I pronounce Jolie "zshoe lee" now don't you?:cool:

invisibleman said:
I think that Shiloh, Zahara, and Maddox are all nice names. :smile:

I completely agree. If I meet one more "Brandon" or "Megan" I'll hurl lunch. High time we stopped dating (to a time slot) children by the names they're assigned at birth.:rolleyes:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Stronzo said:
Tu as oublié un n apostrophe avant de le mot "en", il me semble, mon ami allemand. Mais bien fait néanmoins. :cool: Je l'aime bien quand tu m'écris dans la langue auprès de ma coeur chéri ....:wink:

Je n'ai rien oublié, mon p'tit brave... :rolleyes:

"je n'en ai jamais douté" (façon formelle)

"j'en ai jamais douté" (façon familière)

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
[quote=invisibleman]I think that Angelina (utilizing her skills from Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) and Brad (utilizing his skills from Fight Club) will teach their kids (natural-born and adopted) to fuck up shitty ass kids' playground bull shit degradating remarks.

I think that Shiloh, Zahara, and Maddox are all nice names. :smile: [/quote]

I second your opinion on those names, except maybe that she forgot that Ethiopia isn't exactly near the Sahara desert. However, the thing is that the whole fuss tabloids made around that child and the couple are ticking me off without end. We're saturated. Leave them alone.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
alex8 said:
Je n'ai rien oublié, mon p'tit brave... :rolleyes:

"je n'en ai jamais douté" (façon formelle)

"j'en ai jamais douté" (façon familière)

Not in my experience alex. Vous avez tort.

The former is (what you call 'façon formelle') always used in the cited instance. The elimination by déclasses (degueulases?) French of the "ne" generally is considered unacceptable slang. But in the "ne - jamais" to indicate "never" it's never eliminated.

In your particular example it simply is not done in either converstation I've had in France or in anything I've read there or here.

Dans la première phrase que vous avez employé ici tu as raison et c'est juste: ''je n'ai rien oublié" et bien fait.

Removing the "ne" generally in negating a French sentence has never been generally accepted as informal. It's construed simply as lazy and ("student parlance") like using "ouais" for "oui" in conversation. Moreover it's viewed as a bastardization of the French tongue. To you (for whom language propriety and its usage seems so important generally) I should have thought you'd not brook slang or the informalization of any language including the French.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Stronzo said:
Not in my experience alex. Vous avez tort.
I used "wanna", "coulda" and variations on that theme when I'm writing in English on here sometimes...... it's no more of an informality or "bastardization" of language than that. But feel free to castrate me over those too if you feel the urge. The knives are in the kitchen, just next to the bottles of oil and vinegar.

Dropping the "ne" in this case also served not to interrupt the double "j" effect, which was the original point of the "joke".

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Stronzo said:
The former is (what you call 'façon formelle') always used in the cited instance. The elimination by déclasses (degueulases?) French of the "ne" generally is considered unacceptable slang. But in the "ne - jamais" to indicate "never" it's never eliminated.
In your particular example it simply is not done in either converstation I've had in France or in anything I've read there or here.

Stronzie, I think you’re being a little over formal on this one.

In casual conversation in France, dropping the ne is not rare. And in the bandes dessinées (the French cartoons), it happens frequently. Clearly a representation of common informal usage.

In Québec, for what it’s worth (though we would not be looking for a Teuton’s view), the ne is seldom employed in conversation.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
senor rubirosa said:
Stronzie, I think you’re being a little over formal on this one.

In casual conversation in France, dropping the ne is not rare. And in the bandes dessinées (the French cartoons), it happens frequently. Clearly a representation of common informal usage.

In Québec, for what it’s worth (though we would not be looking for a Teuton’s view), the ne is seldom employed in conversation.
Merci... and if Stronzo had bothered to click on the link in my previous post, he'd have seen that it linked to 130+ instances of the exact phrase being used without 'ne' at google (as opposed to 700+ exact matches with the 'ne' included). Yes, it's conversational, but not "unacceptable" as our resident purist would like to have it.