Imagining the Tenth Dimension

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heather LouAnna said:
You never took physics did you? Don't quit your day job. You should watch the String Theory special on Nova. It's free online. It's three hours long and explains it very easily and very slowly so anyone can grasp it fully.

actually, this information(string theory, 10th dimension poo) is pretty useless unless your a physicist or researcher...i had the option of taking string theory at my university last year, but decided it would be a better use of time and energy to take literature...and i hate literature.:tongue:

*unless, of course, you like knowing things that will never be of any use to you.:smile:

**im assuming that you are not a physicist.:biggrin1:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
First, let me apologize for my previous post which read ,"Wow that was very"....

The page failed to load the first time and I thought that you were being sarcastic and that the 10th dimension was just a blank white space.

This time it worked and although I didn't get it all, I did catch the gist of it.

It was VERY Cool... and it is very cool to think that we are currently co-living in another dimension, who knows, we may each have a dimension where we are a rock God or the biggest movie star out there, or smartest or richest person on earth...in this dimemsion I am crappy job having guy.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
rhino_horn said:
actually, this information(string theory, 10th dimension poo) is pretty useless unless your a physicist or researcher...

Are you kidding me?! Are you saying that knowing the truth about something so profound is useless unless you're making a buck off it?! Hogwash! With this view point, what's the use of ever picking up a book? I should just not read philosophy, if I'm not going to be a philosopher. Reading the works of Stephen Hawking must be a waste of time, because I'm never going into space.

I cringe to think that people would turn their heads at the mention of string theory and movies like What The Bleep Do We Know because they feel it does not apply to them.

Read, watch, touch, taste, smell, fondle, experience everything you can. Then discuss it all over coffee with strangers at your nearest coffeehouse.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Spladle said:
Heather LouAnna,

Thank you very much for this link. I had heard about "The Elegant Universe" before but had never gotten the opportunity to see it. I sincerely appreciate your making it available to me. No doubt I'll enjoy it immensely in the wee hours of the morning.

Gratefully,
Chase

You are very welcome, darling.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
When I try to discuss it over coffe, I get called a moron.

A shadow is NOT an existent in the sense of a thing thing of substance, a poster has already made the argument against it, and I think its simple enough not to have to be repeated.

Yes, there can be only one outcome from any certain cause, its a thing called "Identity", ever heard of Aristotle (since we are going to start throwing names around as if authority makes your argument right) I don't care what Illogical outcomes Hiesenberg cooked up. Probability is not an existent.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
GottaBigOne said:
Yes, there can be only one outcome from any certain cause, its a thing called "Identity", ever heard of Aristotle (since we are going to start throwing names around as if authority makes your argument right).

What complete tosh. I come up to you, point a gun at you and pull the trigger, are you seriously trying to say that for that 'certain cause' if that's what that means there is only one possible outcome? BTW, identity is a philosphical concept, we're talking about physics here.

Aristotle was a genius of his time but his time as almost 2500 years ago. He was way ahead in suggesting the earth was spherical and not flat but you have to put his ideas into a modern context and consider that some theories that today you think are pretty darned strange may actually have scientific foundation. Imagine explaining DNA or TV to Aristiotle, or even a Victorian. Smart as he was I think it would be a hard sell. I remember the initial pain I had with complex numbers and the Argand diagram and that's, literally, kids stuff compared to this...:eek:

Try to open your mind to possibilities beyond what your physical senses tell you, you never know you may actually learn something. I'm not saying these things are 100% right, I'm not qualified to do so. All I'm doing is suggesting the ideas have merit and have been proven mathematically.

Unless you are a top level physicist or mathematician, which, from your posts I doubt, then you are singularly unqualified to deny their validity. That much is indisputable.

Ummagumma

Experimental Member
Media
Heather LouAnna said:
Love it! Pure quality.

They have the entire three hours of The Elegant Universe on Nova's website for free. I suggest that everyone watch it at least once in their lives. It will certainly open your eyes.
Oh my god, thanks for the link - I watched that on New Years Eve a few years ago with my friends while we were under the influence of... stuff. Always wanted to see it again.

rhino_horn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heather LouAnna said:
Are you kidding me?! Are you saying that knowing the truth about something so profound is useless unless you're making a buck off it?!

Hogwash
!

nope. yes, that's what i was saying.

lady, im so lazy, that ill hold my urine for hours for no other reason but that i dont want to get up.

philosophy? philosophy, correction, SOME philosophy can help you understand yourself/mankind better, a favorite of mine is ignorance is bliss...there's no lie in that, i highly recommend it.

but if im gonna be working a 9-5 workday setting up networks or designing circuitry or selling my ass, how is knowing about string THEORY or the tenth dimension going to help me? the bastards are just selling an idea(thats what they are paid to do) to get people(sheep) interested so they get more funding and justify their pointless "jobs"...dirty bastards.

PROFESSOR: im not useless, look at this...
AUDIENCE: ooooo, ahhhhh.
PROFESSOR: :biggrin1:, now gimme all your money:cool:.
AUDIENCE: BAAAAAAA BAAAAAAA
(professor retreats backstage and begins rolling a doobie)

*they're using you, THEY'RE USING YOU!!!!!!!

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
dong20 said:
But you can see it so it must exist.
Absolutly not!

A magician does tricks, by your logic, when he saws a woman in half, she really is in two pieces, but she isn't, it is an illusion.

Just because you can "see" something, doesn't mean it exists, there is a very real possibility that you are mistaken in what you see. Ever seen the mountaineer sketch in Montey Python? The John Cleese character has double vision, and thinks that there are two peaks of Kilamanjiro, just because he saw them, does that mean that there really are?

A shadow is an effect, as I said, caused byh the way the light does not hit an area, but hits surrounding area due to an object being in the way of the certain light-less area and the light source. We label this phenomenon a "Shadow" - it has no physicial existence, it is a phenomenon.

It has width, it has length and it can vary with time so by your terms it must have depth.
What terms?

No, it doesn't have depth or width or height in the traditional sense. As I said, it is a phenomenon, you can measure the area in which it is takeing place, that has a width and a height, but you are measuring a section of another object, for example, the pavement, you are not measureing a physical entity known as a "shadow".

So, the removal of something physical results in the creation of something else that is visible and interactive but doesn't really exist in the physical realm yet it clearly does.
Ah-ha! Now we get into Ontology, a subject I quite like.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, SCIENCE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!

Please welcome our new guest, Metaphysics! Metaphysics - I hear you are a form of Philosophy, am I correct?

Metaphysics - Yes SomeGuy, you are!

Its an itneresting idea, that you can have physical objects, such as you, me and the chair I'm sitting on, but also non physical objects such as maths, righteousness and yes - shadows.

Plato outlined a theory which explained this in his Theaetetus - he devided the world into two parts, the physical, and the mental. The physical contains exactly what you expect, physical objects. The mental contains "forms" which we use as a sort of "name tag" for physical objects and also as abstract things in their own right.

Example, I am sitting on a chair, that chair is a physical object, certainly but we identify it by reaching out to a form of "chair-ness" to label the chair by. If we didnt have these forms as guildlines, how would he know what to call things?

Imagine :rolleyes: If you had never seen a shadow and didn't understand the variable nature of light and I described a shadow in the terms above, you would probably think it was preposterous as it would be beyond rational understanding, you would therefore almost certainly deny it's existence.

To me that is exactly what you are doing here; by denying the existence of a theory because it is a) Beyond your understanding and/or b) Outside your physical 'reality' or experience and sounds riduculous.
o_O

Are you getting me confused with somebody else? I am argueing FOR the theory!

I simply picked on your point because shadows are not physical entities, they are phenomenon.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SomeGuyOverThere said:
Ah-ha! Now we get into Ontology, a subject I quite like.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, SCIENCE HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!

Please welcome our new guest, Metaphysics! Metaphysics - I hear you are a form of Philosophy, am I correct?

Metaphysics - Yes SomeGuy, you are!

Its an itneresting idea, that you can have physical objects, such as you, me and the chair I'm sitting on, but also non physical objects such as maths, righteousness and yes - shadows.

Plato outlined a theory which explained this in his Theaetetus - he devided the world into two parts, the physical, and the mental. The physical contains exactly what you expect, physical objects. The mental contains "forms" which we use as a sort of "name tag" for physical objects and also as abstract things in their own right.

Example, I am sitting on a chair, that chair is a physical object, certainly but we identify it by reaching out to a form of "chair-ness" to label the chair by. If we didnt have these forms as guildlines, how would he know what to call things?

o_O

Are you getting me confused with somebody else? I am argueing FOR the theory! .

LOL, I was just being deliberately tangential and obuse to try to provoke a different thought process but yes it was aimed at someone else. I am sorry....honestly.:redface::eek:

But if I may....:tongue:

SomeGuyOverThere said:
A magician does tricks, by your logic, when he saws a woman in half, she really is in two pieces, but she isn't, it is an illusion.

No thats not the case at all, we must suspend belief for that illusion to work, with a shadow for example there is no need to do that, it's not an 'illusion' and it has a sound scientific basis in reality.

Anything that can be inferred, predicted or measured by scientific means must be real, even if merely phenomena they are still 'real'. To me it's that very uncertaintanty about what reality actually is that this thread is about, hence the oddball punt.

SomeGuyOverThere said:
Just because you can "see" something, doesn't mean it exists, there is a very real possibility that you are mistaken in what you see. Ever seen the mountaineer sketch in Montey Python? The John Cleese character has double vision, and thinks that there are two peaks of Kilamanjiro, just because he saw them, does that mean that there really are?

Of course not, that's a physiological manifiestation 'contrived' or misread within the mind, not a true visualisation of a physical one. Unless you're suggesting my shadow is a figment of my imagination?:tongue:

SomeGuyOverThere said:
A shadow is an effect, as I said, caused byh the way the light does not hit an area, but hits surrounding area due to an object being in the way of the certain light-less area and the light source. We label this phenomenon a "Shadow" - it has no physicial existence, it is a phenomenon.

Yes of course, yet we perceive it to be real and in some cultures it's elevated to an art form, how much more 'real' can it get. Again it's what 'real' really means that interests me here.

We perceive time to be real yet time is even less tangible than shadow which at least registers 'physically' i.e. visibly in our realm in a way time does not. We can't put 'five minutes' in our pocket for example but we can cast a shadow and see and physically 'feel' it's effect. One could argue thus that time is also merely a phenomenon....:smile:

In another dimension or 'reality' for example, everything we consider phenomena could be physical and vice versa.....:biggrin1:

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This appears to be an attempt to blend mithos and logos. While I can understand the desire and perhaps even the value of such an attempt, it is dangerous to those who do not understand the difference.

Logos refers to that which we can know, through the rational sciences and mithos to man's search for truth. Mithos encompasses the realm of religion, the arts, feelings, perceptions and the like where logos deals with quantifyable facts. Yes, of course there are things unknown to us that are not "unknowable", we just don't know them yet. Mithos often serves as a catalyst to discovering facts when a quantum leap of faith is needed to pursue an idea, but too many people are too eager to call something a fact while it is still in process based on unreliable data, such as feelings, or an opinion that it "just makes sense".

There are many paths to explaining that which we do not know, and as a concept, this one is as good as any. At least it leaves room for our human perception being limited by our capacities and our rational laws. Undoubtedly, the laws of our planet do not apply universally, but by the time we get to any kind of reasonable conversation about that, we are flung back to the reality that we don't even fully comprehend our own natural laws as they DO apply to our world. Fun as a mental exercise, but I'd find more value personally from discussions where our possible knowledge does apply or it feels like pissing in the wind.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Spladle said:
I never saw this. Was it good?

lol I took you off my Trillian list, cuz you were being a total weasil, but PM it to me again and I'll send you the movie tonight, iffin you wanna.

Or if you wanna go download soulseek, you can just leech it from me through there.

B_Spladle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Heather LouAnna said:
lol I took you off my Trillian list, cuz you were being a total weasil, but PM it to me again and I'll send you the movie tonight, iffin you wanna.

Or if you wanna go download soulseek, you can just leech it from me through there.
wtf, all I did was IM you while you were masturbating. If you don't wanna be disturbed, you're supposed to put up an away message, stupid.

I am way, way too lazy to download anything.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
First watch the pink circle go round and round. When you get tired of doing that stare at the black cross. Concentrate on it.

Cool eh?

I guess maybe we can't trust what we see with our own two eyes.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
I apologize for bumping and begging, but I really think the link on my previous post is pretty amazing. It's not a trick 'boo' gif if that's what you think.

Seriously, check it out.

Oh yeah, maybe it doesn't really belong in this thread but at the time that's where it seemed to need to go.

It just trips me out how our brains do/don't work.