Immigrants for Sale

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Back when Arizona was in the spotlight for their infamous "Papers Please" immigration law, some journalists looked past the obvious social & racial implications of the bill and made connections between the law, private prisons and the money that was positioned to be made by those who owned them if the law actually passed. - YouTube - Rachel Maddow Exposing private prisons role in Arizona's 'Papers Please' roots

Enter Cuéntame, a Latino Investigators group that has been doing similar research and has seemingly put together even more pieces of the Immigration puzzle. They've provided a short, but interesting video that exposes more connections between major corporations, private prisons, SB1070, the copycat laws that are being created in other states and the huge profits they're set to gain at the expense of immigrants if everything goes according to their plan. - YouTube - Immigrants For Sale

If you ask me, it almost borders on the line of legalized "human trafficking". Yeeks!
Your thoughts?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'll try to look at the whole video again. I was distracted by the fact that it's just another spin; from what I saw "Actual illegal immigration is on the decline" But we are still left with the issue of what my auntie and uncle who live in Arizona are having issues with... "High crime from illegal immigrants, rising taxes from unpaid emergency hospital visits from illegal immigrants and schools being built for children who are born in Arizona who technically are citizens yet there is no tax being paid by their parents and the citizens of Arizona are picking up the tab.
As I said I will try to look at this again but if you could boil it down for me in Cliffs Notes I would really appreciate it. Because at first glance it looks like a spin especially when they are trying to use Janet Napolitano as an example of someone who knows what she is talking about.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, the x-ray image on the front page of today's New Yawk Times certainly doesn't need any spin. It reveals a tractor trailer load of people being smuggled into the USA. It's actually sort of a nice modernist photo, when looked at dispassionately.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
nudeyorker: I first heard of this website and the video while watching a segment on Laurence O'Donnell last night. If anything, I think the main goal of Cuéntame is to establish a connection between the heavy push for Immigration reform and how big corporations are positioning it for excessive profit. The other thing it shines a light on is a major lobbying firm called the American Legislative Exchange Council. ALEC represents a plethora of Republican legislators across the country and played major parts behind the scenes to push legislation in Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey, Florida, Arizona going after immigrants, collective bargaining rights, the repeal of health care and more. Some of the members on their board of directors include - A&T, Wal-Mart, Johnson & Johnson, big oil (Exxon Mobile, Chevron, Shell, Texaco)... and Koch Industries.

Daily Kos: Lawrence O'Donnell Just Blew the Lid off ALEC

I think everyone agrees to some point that we need some form of immigration reform in this country. But a story like this may help to explain why so many GOP lawmakers are against legislation that would help to turn some illegal immigrants into legalized citizens. It's just another case of looking past the moral justifications (regardless of how good or bad the reasonings) and simply "following the money".

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thank you VB for boiling it down for me. I'm having a really frenzied work week and when I have time this weekend I will sit down and watch and read.
Thank you again.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm sorry, but the entire idea of illegal immigration disgusts me, and it does with everyone American citizen that immigrated from Europe, at least the ones that I know. Why should an illegal from South/Central America be entitled to stay in the country simply because they share a border? Why should current ones be given avenues toward legal citizenship. GO THROUGH THE EXACT SAME PROCESS THAT SO MANY EUROPEANS MUST GO THROUGH!

My best friend's mother immigrated legally, and it took almost 6 years, and I guarantee you she is far harsher on the topic than I am...

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm sorry, but the entire idea of illegal immigration disgusts me, and it does with everyone American citizen that immigrated from Europe, at least the ones that I know. Why should an illegal from South/Central America be entitled to stay in the country simply because they share a border? Why should current ones be given avenues toward legal citizenship. GO THROUGH THE EXACT SAME PROCESS THAT SO MANY EUROPEANS MUST GO THROUGH!

My best friend's mother immigrated legally, and it took almost 6 years, and I guarantee you she is far harsher on the topic than I am...

That's not even the point. Again, everyone knows that we need Immigration Reform. But as I stated earlier there are many collaborating, corporate sources that are pushing this issue for nothing more than profit.

And BTW... a European illegal immigrant is no different than a South American or Central American illegal immigrant. The only difference between the two is that one has to cross an ocean. Would it make you feel better if we made all of the Latinos swim a few thousand miles first before they tried to sneak into Texas? :rolleyes:

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's not even the point. Again, everyone knows that we need Immigration Reform. But as I stated earlier there are many collaborating, corporate sources that are pushing this issue for nothing more than profit.

And BTW... a European illegal immigrant is no different than a South American or Central American illegal immigrant. The only difference between the two is that one has to cross an ocean. Would it make you feel better if we made all of the Latinos swim a few thousand miles first before they tried to sneak into Texas? :rolleyes:

Would forcing them to do that curb illegal immigration significantly? Methinks yes, therefore let's do it (putting a little modern spin on Descartes haha)

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hmm, brilliant response :rolleyes: :cool:

And a probable one, considering that I can't recall an instance when "Countryguy63" has taken unnecessary swipes at me in such a feverish pitch (and according to a certain sig, Countryguy63 is his 50%). But whatever. If you want to get the gist of this thread, read the OP and stop trying to formulate lame arguments over obvious lines of dismissive sarcasm. Got anything of value to contribute? I many not fully agree with Eric_8, but even he is more on topic than you are.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And a probable one, considering that I can't recall an instance when "Countryguy63" has taken unnecessary swipes at me in such a feverish pitch (and according to a certain sig, Countryguy63 is his 50%). But whatever. If you want to get the gist of this thread, read the OP and stop trying to formulate lame arguments over obvious lines of dismissive sarcasm. Got anything of value to contribute? I many not fully agree with Eric_8, but even he is more on topic than you are.

Oy vey, I didn't read his posts, but you must REALLY dislike his views :/

with that, these arguments go nowhere and expose obvious political bias, myself included. So with that, i tap out of this horrible dead-end of a conversation.

ADIOS MUCHACHOS!! Something i wish i could say to far more "citizens" of the good ol' US of A

Countryguy63

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
{Snip}I many not fully agree with Eric_8, but even he is more on topic than you are.

So then apparently this statement below that I responded to was off-topic also?

<snip> Would it make you feel better if we made all of the Latinos swim a few thousand miles first before they tried to sneak into Texas? :rolleyes:

And isn't taking a "swipe" (as you call it) at someone who's not even in the conversation bordering trolling and harrassment?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Countryguy63 said:
So then apparently this statement below that I responded to was off-topic also?

If you want to ignore the entire comment I made, twist it out of context and reposition it as such to suggest that I was trying to derail my own thread, then knock yourself out. I doubt you'd gander much support for that.

And isn't taking a "swipe" (as you call it) at someone who's not even in the conversation bordering trolling and harrassment?

People take swipes at me on this board all the time, even when I'm not in the conversation, yet none of these people have been called out for trolling or harassment. If you think what I said or did is against the TOS, take it up with a mod. As for this thread, contribute something on topic or leave. Otherwise, I'll have something to report. Case closed.

Last edited: