Imposters on here?

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Sometimes people make up alter-egos or online personas because they are indulging in fantasy. What's the harm?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
All members should have pics in my opinion.

It doesn't prove a goddamned thing, and at this time I don't feel a need to have any photos of myself up. I think because of the number of posts I have plus the fact that I've met at least 4 members here makes it less likely that I'm an imposter than someone with 50 pictures.

Best way to know if someone is not an imposter is to meet them in person. I've met eleven members from this site.

And I didn't even get to tap dat ass.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
There are plenty of fakers here. I mean, on any internet sex-themed forum you'll get guys pretending to be women, because women generally get more attention. You also get people lying about themselves - on this, a large penis forum, the temptation to lie for attention seems to be even stronger.

There are lots of ways to deal with the risk of fakery. The best is to meet the person you're wondering about. This allows you to determine that they are the gender and appearance that they've represented themselves to be. However, the person could still be lying about things like marital or relationship status.

Webcamming or talking on the phone allows you to be reasonably sure of the person's gender, and with video, appearance. Fakes are still possible, but hard to pull off. And of course, you still won't know if they're married, living where they say they are, etc.

My personal viewpoint here is that if you take this site to be entertainment, and not a substitute for a real-world social life, fakers pose less risk to you. Sure, plenty of people I've talked to here probably aren't who they say they are. But I don't care if they're male, female, attractive, ugly, hung, unhung, married, or single, so long as they have something interesting to say. After all, outside of the gallery, this is a text-based site.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I dont really care, i treat all as fake except the few ive cammed with, I know they are real and are friends, ive also found the ones who complain the most are probably the fakes, its like when someone farts in a crowded room, the one who denys it the most is the one who farted

xxtacy77

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Case in point, we have had 3 different guys contact us here and they all used the exact same pic or pic set claiming ownership........funny/sad. We've found that even "camming" can easily be faked.

The only way we've had any success has been to require a "proof pic(s)", which somehow incorporates our screen-name into the requested pics. A way to weed out the losers from the players so to speak.

Whats really funny is how many people, that have pics posted, don't have access to a camera or cam phone so as to comply!

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think for the most part the discussions are genuine--and that's what I come here for--even if the identities created by the posters are not.

I would only care if a member is the person s/he says s/he is if I was going to get into a personal relationship with him/her, which I don't see happening.

Some people use fake identities for the same reason we don't use our real names and most of us don't post face pics--for privacy, safety, and security. But for the most part, I think the the thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed are genuine.

Sometimes it's fun to pretend to be someone else, to escape from your own identity for a while, or to express an aspect of you personality that is normally internalized. Kids do it all the time. That's one of the reasons Halloween is so popular and enduring, and why people like costume parties and masquerades. Some people play Dungeons & Dragons or other role-playing games (note I deliberately said "role" not "roll"), but that's not everyone's cup of tea. Some men are drag queens.

Movies like Mrs. Doubtfire and Tootsie, depict men who each adopt a fake identity and, in the process, discover another side of themselves. In the process they build real, genuine, meaningful relationships with others. Unfortunately, those people do get hurt by the deception. I remember the scene at the end of Tootsie where the female love interest says to Michael (Dustin Hoffman's character), "I miss Dorothy" and he says, "she's right here."

I think Internet forums and chat rooms are a good place to experiment with different roles. However, since some degree of deception is involved, the ethics can be a bit tricky. I don't think people should misrepresent other peoples pics as their own. If you get into a personal relationship with someone, the deception has to end, and it may be difficult to impossible to rebuild that person's trust. How can they ever be sure you're not creating another character? If you're on a site to build relationships, then that's probably not the place to experiment with an alter ego.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want to be my friend, you need to show me who you really are. But if you're just here to contribute to the discussion, adopt whatever identity you want.

P.S. I also want to agree with rob_just_rob's post, particularly the last paragraph.

D

deleted3782

I agree that there is a lot of fantasy going on here on the boards and in the chat room. A lot of it is shifted identities, such as a young guy who can't deal with the fact that he's gay feeling free to talk about gay sex with another young man who is in reality an older man. In most cases, they don't seem to care between themselves...its all part of the fantasy, and leads to a quick orgasm.

I think some conflict comes up when people do present their true identities to the forum, their real images and their real feelings, and those collide with those enjoying fantasy. For example, the straight guy who has 15 pictures of himself posted and sincerely wants to meet a girl...who is constantly hit up by an 18 year old guy posing as a woman for kicks. Thats when some of these conflicts are occuring.

I do not treat everyone on LPSG as a fake. I do think you can tell who is real and who isnt by a) the number and variety of pics, b) the content of their conversation, and c) the way they present themselves to others. Yes, the guy with two pics of a perfect dick and one of his face probably isn't real. The guy who hits you up by saying "I'm only 23 years old, nice dick" probably isn't real. The crazy redhead describing her weekend orgies probably isnt real.

I think we all are all well-served being mindful of this...that there are many different agendas going on here. Don't jerk someone around just to get a fast orgasm and don't share details of your life with someone you don't trust or can't verify. You can think of this place as a Vegas nightclub, beware! I've been burned myself by sharing personal feelings, only to have them used against me when that person isn't happy with me. There are some nice people here, and there are some that are here for totally different reasons than you are here for.

We all come here for some reason -- its a crazy little global village of people that provides a sense of community. Just be careful and respectful of others...

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Who fucking knows?

I don't trust 90% of the shit I read on the Internet, esp. message boards.

In this case, get their number and call them; easiest way to get to the "bottom" of things (oo, bad pun)
I agree, call them or meet in person.
If they never want to do either, something is wrong.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
I tend to treat everyone as being real unless proven otherwise.

I think because of the number of posts I have plus the fact that I've met at least 4 members here makes it less likely that I'm an imposter than someone with 50 pictures.

I like the idea of everyone posting their pictures. Those who post fake pictures seem to be eventually rooted out.

ShowOff

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im so going to make a few impostor profiles on here now.. Might be a good release for my slimshady alter ego. Now I just have think of a good screen name. Im thinking a woman would be fun, but what name should I use? These posts have been helpful in appearing more real, pictures, no names like SueTakes12Plus. Lets see how long before Im found out...muhahah this should be fun.

My only question is during this impostor post, why hasnt anyone addressed women posing as men? I guess its because of a different reason, right?

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, but they can be fun to look at.

I'll take requests from the doubters (not that I'm unbelievably large or special at all).....eh, within reason.
I'm a wookie . Any one can see tons of my pics in Star Wars sites .:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

B_Sativa

1st Like
Media
In a dry flat land out west! Las Vegas, NV
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im so going to make a few impostor profiles on here now.. Might be a good release for my slimshady alter ego. Now I just have think of a good screen name. Im thinking a woman would be fun, but what name should I use? These posts have been helpful in appearing more real, pictures, no names like SueTakes12Plus. Lets see how long before Im found out...muhahah this should be fun.

My only question is during this impostor post, why hasnt anyone addressed women posing as men? I guess its because of a different reason, right?

Good point!!! And I was going to say the same thing!!:)

D

deleted3782

Would this be straight women posing as men to attract gay men? I am sure its been done, but women seem a bit less motivated since there are a lot of willing straight guys here.