Improving circumcision scar

rc251

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey all. About a couple years ago, I had a circumcision done to phimosis. I know a lot of people advise against it, and I'm like that too, but my case was pretty severe. The entire top of my foreskin became bruised because it was that tight... I went through the cream and everything but nothing helped so I had to get it done.

Anyway, the doctor did the operation, and put in dissolvable stitches. My dad was in the process of switching insurance plans at the time, so after my initial post opp appointment with my urologist who did the surgery (about 4 days after the operation), I had a new urologist. However, I never bothered to make an appointment with the new urologist until many months later.

Anyway, the problem for me was that the dissolvable stitches. A few fell out, but the rest stayed in. For a long time. I kind of got really depressed after the surgery so I didn't do anything except lay in bed for weeks. I finally cut the stitches out myself after about 6 (!) weeks. As a result, I've had "railroad track" scarring along most of the circumcision line. (I can post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about).

Anyway, I was just wondering, is there anything I can do or anyone I can see to improve the scar? I've seen a couple of urologists months after the surgery, and they all said the doctor did an excellent job, though I'm not sure they're saying that from a cosmetic perspective.

circedbychoice

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How did this get resurrected from September 2007? I doubt this is an issue for the UP today. But it might be relevant for someone else experiencing this.
Myself I think the scar looks fine as it is. He mentioned a zig zag scar line. He hasn't seen a zing sag scar line like I saw a guy in high school have.
I mean this guy had a very visible zig zag scar. I wonder if his dad or someone very inexperienced did it? I felt sorry for his botched circumcision.
I have a friend who told me his dad did his brother and his circumcisions. I asked him how it looks? He said it looks as good as anyone else's circumcision.
I was also stitched with desolving stitches. After they started breaking up and coming out, I took a tweezers and pulled out the broken ones.
I only wish I had known I could have requested the surgeon to locate the scar higher up on my ahaft. When I'm flaccid some of the shaft skin rolls over the corona. I wish it wouldn't do that and the corona be always exposed. I like to look of a high on the shaft circ scar.

Reactions: Nexolaris
S

SirConcis

I had read a medical article (no longer on-line) years ago which explained the process of healing a wound (aka: scar formation). The scar itself is laden with collagen because it is one of the primary "building materials" to fill the gap between the 2 skin edges.

Eventually collgen production is reduced to below the natural collagen destruction, at which point the scar starts to shrink (bringing the 2 edges closer to each other). On a penis, you will also see the scar go "below" skin surface (especially with residual swelling) because shinkage of scar also means shrinkage of diametre. And this matters for partial circs where you have to frequently retract remaininfg foreksin during those weeks otherwise you start having temporary phimosis until skin regains elastictity.

Reactions: Nexolaris

rc251

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Here's some examples, from the top and side. Notice the jaggy appearance of the scar. Also, in the side pic, notice where the frenulum was. After the surgery, the skin there got inflamed, but it never really settled down, so it still looks like a little sack of skin along the frenulum.

Anyway, is this serious enough that I should dedicate time to, or are there greater things in my life I should be worrying about. (Oh btw, I'm a grower, I'm extremely small flaccid and about 6" erect for anyone wondering hehe).

Attachments

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... Anyway, is this serious enough that I should dedicate time to ...
From what I see in the two pics, no, don't be concerned about it. I don't see anything to fret about.

Infant circumcisions often turn out worse. Consider yourself very fortunate you don't have the scars I have from an infant circumcision.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
I agree with SteveHd here; from those two pix, I don't believe there's anything to worry about. In fact, the results seem typical from a circ.

rc251...Have you ever really taken time to really "study" other portrayals of circumcision...photos, or maybe have a close friend whom you've been able to "compare". --I think you would be amazed and hopefully relieved! just how similar you are to them. You really are very normal in appearance and that "railroad tracking" you call it doesn't even appear outlandish to me at all. It's very, VERY common scarring. And honestly, there are far WORSE circumcision scars out there in the world. Be thankful.

As to that little skin flap "thingy" remaining from the frenelum, I've noticed that too, on other guys who were cut. I myself have just a little "bump" of skin remaining. It's never caused me any problem and your sensitivity described is most likely resulting from the fact it's not been all that very long since your surgery. Think about it! After all, infants have years to heal before becoming sexually active whereas an adult man--well, it's more challenging to deal with circumcision being done at that stage of life.

I cannot vouch for Vitamin B skin products personally, but I have heard good things about using that. I personally use baby oil with Vitamin E after showering and it seems like good advice if you were encouraged to apply some kind of good-quality skin care product and use it regularly. By "good-quality" I don't mean pricey skin care lotions or creams...but those with basic ingredients long-proven to keep skin supple and promote continued healing. Avoid those with additives like fragrances and other "stuff" which might only lead to sensitivity/allergic reactions. You certainly don't need THAT !

I've never had any problem with that baby oil with vitamin E.
-- It's about as "basic" as one can get.

S

SirConcis

Vitamin E oil is said to greatly help. But if you look at medical articles, you can't find "proof" it helps. However, you beed pure vitamin E oil in a small bottle. No capsules, not the stuff for eyes. Apply/rub it in onnce or twice a day. During the time you apply it, the skin may be a bit more reddish, but it is normal. The circumcision scar fades quickly in the first few months, and then continues to fade slowly for about 2 years after the op.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The silicon based scar reduction creams like Dermatix are supposed to be very good for reducing scars, although they're quite expensive, ask your pharmacist about them.

rc251

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks for all the responses, especially benderten2001! I've only looked at other adult circ pics online. Besides the sites that are out to condemn circumcision and have pics of pretty bad scars, it seems that a lot of people who had the surgery done had a perfect "ring" scar after the surgery was done. It's approaching about 2 years after surgery (which is where many say the majority of healing is done), and I haven't had as great results as others. I also think leaving the stitches in caused some damage that wasn't necessary. Oh well. I am trying Mederma as a matter of fact now, and I'll let you guys know if it helps.

rc251

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ah, alright, you're right about those. And yeah, I guess mine isn't so bad, I guess just a bit discouraging with other results I've seen online.

rc251

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey all, I have another question related to this. Before I got the surgery, I'd always masturbate using the foreskin and rubbing it over the glans. Since the surgery, I'm still trying to adjust not having that. The way I usually masturbate now is with my boxers on and rubbing them over the glans. What's the best way to do it? My partner uses a lot of lube when she does it but I never liked lube in masturbation.