Imus, did you really do it again?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Marazion Analdouche, Jun 24, 2008.

1. D_Marazion Analdouche

During a segment about why Jones dropped his well-known nickname 'Pacman', anchor Warner Wolf told Imus that Jones had "been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005".

Imus asked, "What color is he?" and Wolf responded by saying that "he's African-American."

"Well, there you go," Imus replied. "Now we know."

Chief Racist Don Imus - Pacman Jones

2. D_Cyprius Slapwilly

D_Cyprius Slapwilly New Member

:slaps forehead:

I do wonder, however, why he's getting this kind of attention when I heard Michael Savage on the radio just last night saying that, ever since Kennedy, we've been encouraging immigrants who everything but white, Christian Europeans to come here, and that our country is much worse off for it. Savage is as notoriously racist (if not moreso) than Imus. It sickens my stomach how much the man gets away with.

3. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Is he on Sirius satellite radio as opposed to a major network? I wonder if he would be setting himself up again for some more fallout, but that his new employer might better shield him since it's a pay-for-access service or something...

4. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    Imus is a billboard. The more controversial he gets, the more he solidifies the ultra-right-wing listeners, as well as the people monitoring to hear if he says something else. Radio is dead, even satellite, so they need to draw some attention to themselves.

Bottom line is that Imus is an idiot, just like everyone else on the shock-talk radio.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

It's such a cheesy and low-browed tactic to get people to talk about you. I'm practically numb to almost every form of blatant, non-satirical racism right now because I know only pathetic people resort to it.

Instead of restating the obvious about how ignorant it is to say something like this in public, how about we all just ignore it? If it works for politics, then it should work on untalented, shock jocks as well.

6. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought he'd changed and would have ended his racist ways by now, like how the US did it overnight.

7. Shelby

Gold Member

8. CALAMBO

Gold Member

Albums:
    give don a break...it is radio...it is a show for sport/proffit...and look it worked...and that al sharpton...what a moron...who really cares about what he says...he should get a job instead of giving the whole thing more notority...also i am not a racist...just a republican

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

funny how LPSG boarders will rise in unison to defend to defend the likes of Rev Wright & Sharpton, but also rise to condemn and urge prohibition of the other end of the spectrum

10. Principessa

Gold Member

11. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

12. classyron

Gold Member

Albums:
    Trust me, I despise Sharpton and Rev. Wright and their blatant bigotry, but the prevailing opinions on this board are ridiculously bleeding-heart, so it is not that we all defend Sharpton's racism and condemn Imus', we just don't have the energy to listen to blowhards rant because we insulted a liberal.

That does not change the fact that Imus is a tool.

13. Shelby

Gold Member

Did you even bother to listen to his explanation?

Like Abraham Lincoln? How about Shelby Steele?

14. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

:biggrin1:

Attached Files:

15. mista geechee

Gold Member

Albums:
    Does anyone really care about this attention whore ? Well , I guess he's an attention Gigalo.

Seriously , motherfucker look elike he woke up under a urinal at Shoney's.

16. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    I distaste Al Sharpton and Rev. Wright as much as (Al even more than) Don Imus, and have never defended any of the above. I am aware of the crowd you were addressing and I know they exist, they're called hypocrites and don't represent their respective "groups" very well.

17. javyn

javyn New Member

Albums:
    Nothing could be more wrong. Radio is an incredibly powerful (the most powerful IMO) medium for a politician or party to get its message across. Don't shrug off talk radio. It's actually quite brilliant to me, get a bunch of conservatives stuck in traffic on the commute home, already in a bad mood, then pump some Savage in their ears riling them up even more. What do you get? An incredibly powerful and motivated political force!

I promise you more of Savage's audience votes than say, John Stewart's.

18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Me thinks I worded my statement wrong. Sorry about that. :frown1:
    The whole idea was to state how this whole Imus issue wouldn't be a big news item if we just allowed ourselves to ignore it. Many key issues were ignored in politics during the election time. Major media ignored issues like the environment during the primaries. Now, the media is portraying a nation that is more obsessed about religion than the economy. If we can have the media ignore topics to the point where many people don't talk about it anymore, we can do the same with Imus.

At this stage in the game, I really don't care what Imus thinks about black people. But you'd think that a shock jock would know how to cause controversy without resorting to the age old tactic of race. And even if he didn't want his comments to sound negative towards black people, he shouldn't have waited 24 hours to explain his story. A comedian can say the same statement, but they also take the time to convey a message that lets everyone know he or she didn't mean it negatively. Imus doesn't have that privilege so we can only take his comments at face value. And considering how things are still touchy with "Nappy Ho-gate", you'd think he would have learned his lesson by now.

#18 B_VinylBoy, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  19. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    ^If there's one thing bigots DON'T do its learn lessons.

20. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I heard his collective comments on the radio. I didn't take what he said any other way than Pacman was being picked on because of his color. Imus is a lib and was putting out a liberal comment that got spun the other direction. (Oh btw, Pacman is a thug and yes, he's black. If you have a problem with that, talk to Pacman, not Imus)

If you think otherwise, you're either black and so leftist, you can't even tell when someone is coming out on your side; or you're on the lunatic fringe right waiting to pounce on any media liberal who even "dares to go there". At least Imus is consistent.

Mainstream, reasonable people heard what he said with an open mind and didn't construe his comments as being racist. They may have taken issue with the thought that somehow Police in this country still profile blacks. (wait, they do... but thats not a story.. Imus is the story?) Give me a break.

LMAO

Draft saved Draft deleted