Imus, did you really do it again?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I heard his collective comments on the radio. I didn't take what he said any other way than Pacman was being picked on because of his color. Imus is a lib and was putting out a liberal comment that got spun the other direction. (Oh btw, Pacman is a thug and yes, he's black. If you have a problem with that, talk to Pacman, not Imus)

And we all knew that it was going to be spun. Imus included. Honestly, watching him get all worked up and bothered about the spin is more annoying than the comment itself.

Sometimes, a little bit of prevention goes a long way to stop an issue from escalating much farther than it needs. If he would have taken just a few extra seconds in his sound bit to explain his stance, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Mainstream, reasonable people heard what he said with an open mind and didn't construe his comments as being racist. They may have taken issue with the thought that somehow Police in this country still profile blacks. (wait, they do... but thats not a story.. Imus is the story?) Give me a break.

I can see how the same comment can be perceived on both sides of the issue. Just because you see it one way doesn't mean that the others who don't aren't being reasonable. If anything, Imus should have used his head and chose his words more accurately. There's many other ways to address the unfair practice of racial profiling amongst minorities that would have been just as poignant without sounding so iffy.

Beyond that, why do we need someone like Imus to state the obvious anyhow? If I was putting together a forum based on race relations & equality, one of the last people I would bring to the table to represent my views would be him. I think a woman as blatant and crass as Lisa Lampanelli does more to blur the lines between race than he ever would.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
If you think otherwise, you're either black and so leftist, you can't even tell when someone is coming out on your side; or you're on the lunatic fringe right waiting to pounce on any media liberal who even "dares to go there". At least Imus is consistent.

Mainstream, reasonable people heard what he said with an open mind and didn't construe his comments as being racist.

If Imus is consistent, then there really isn't too much reason to give him the benefit of the doubt. You can't really give "nappy headed hoes" that same level of defense. Furthermore, even being philanthropic and charitable doesn't excuse the possibility of being racist. Hell, paternalistic and patronizing attitudes from whites to blacks were at good and well alive before Civil Rights, and even persist after the fact. You can't just throw money at something and expect the bowing of head, "Massa," "thank you Massa."

I don't think black militant leftists are the only ones in outrage. Just look at the thread here. Now, imagine the collective thud on desktop or hand slapped on forehead that the broad swath of not just his listeners, but anyone who picked up a paper or some Internet news.

Personally, if he's as racially biased as I think he is, at his age, there's little hope for redemption. Stuck to his guns, I think. But in any case, even if he were trying to defend the racial profiling or whatever, he picked an incredibly poor choice of words. Had he said something like, "Pacman is black and automatically he's called a thug," then his message would have been way more clear. So many years in radio, and you think the guy would've learned just how important it is to state what he thinks clearly.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yeah, I never would have defended this idiot in anyway when it came to the previous comment he made towards the womens basket ball team. He is a shock jock and has made his life out of saying whats on his mind. He is however older then rock and that mind isn't what it used to be. His question,"what color is he" may be to some people a question that shouldn't be asked, but in his defense he was responding to issues dealing with racial profiling. If he had said what ethnic origin was he this may not be an issue but since it was Don Imus and he had made the previous statement which however you say it was nasty and racist and disrespectful, his statements will be monitored more closely then the Rev. Wright or Al Sharpton.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He claims he was showing his lack of surprise that an african american was arrested six times because of racial profiling.

Don Imus Claims He Was Defending Adam 'Pacman' Jones Against Racist Cops - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog

But I suppose that some folks will call his explanation bullshit.

Why this won't become a racial issue, Pacman Jones is indefensible, Sharpton and others can't refute any discussion of Pacman Jones, simply because of his character flaws. The Rutger's women's basketball team, the crass remarks, now that's a different group of people, there was something defensible there. But Pacman Jones, I'll bet Sharpton even thinks Pacman is a fool of the highest order ?