In a kinda weird situation...

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by literquartounce, Jul 11, 2009.

1. literquartounce

literquartounce New Member

I'm in college, and I'm in a class where we have to submit a group project and one of my group members is a girl who I think is bulimic.

This girl is really skinny, not a good kind of skinny, but her arms are comparable to what you see here. (The skinny one of course). Looking at her as a whole, her head looks kind of humongous compared to the rest of her body.

Over the past few weeks, we've had to work 4-5 hours together as a group practically every other weekday and I've noticed some strange behavior. She goes to the restroom a lot, consistently for a few times we meet up. In addition, since my group meets till midnight or so, we have ordered food many times, and she eats with without a problem but disappears for a few times after all of us eat. One time, it was really weird, we were all sitting after eating, and she had just come back from the restroom and just started to undergo the motions like she was throwing up. You know, the body motions when you're about to throw up. She excused herself and went to the restroom and came back.

I'm pretty, pretty sure something is up. I guess the question I have is, do I just act like nothing is wrong? Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I've only worked with the person for about a month now, nowhere close to being a real friend yet. Should I say/do anything? I'm pretty sure her family/friends are aware and I wouldn't be saying anything new. Or do I just move on? It's just awkward...

(edit: is it possible that some girls are just normally this skinny or something?)

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Sounds like she is definetely bulimic. She probably thinks she is hiding it well from everybody. I dunno what to tell you other than,maybe find out who her friends are and tell them her bulimia is getting worse. :redface:

3. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

This all really depends on how involved you want to get.

The morally correct thing to do would probably be to throw yourself right in there. Contact her close friends and family, perhaps try to subtly confront her about it. Don't actually 'accuse' her of being a bulimic, but kind of hint at it and maybe comment that she's looking a bit thin. Or not. These people are always extremely sensitive, so tread very lightly.

The best thing to do would probably be to just ignore the problem. Don't get involved and save yourself potential headaches, heartaches, and a bad relationship with a group partner.

Like I said, it all depends on how involved you want to get. If you choose to get involved, just don't do anything extreme and try to hold some type of intervention or something.

4. MarkLondon

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's very sad, but there's probably not much you can do to help. Anorexia and bulimia are more than "eating disorders"; they're serious and poorly-understood psychiatric conditions that can lead to major health problems and even death.

Is there a medical officer or student counsellor you could discreetly inform of your concerns?

5. cyberczar

cyberczar New Member

Notify your professor, someone at your student health services or her resident adviser if there is one.

Anything more and you're unqualified to assist.

6. bigjpgh

bigjpgh Member

Albums:
    It actually sounds more like anorexia than bulimia. Most people associate binge and purge actions as only bulimic, but anorexic people sometime engage in the same actions. A basic, and overly generalized, difference between anorexia and bulimia is that an anorexic person, like in that picture you posted, has a psychologically distorted self image. They actually see themselves as overweight when they are in fact dangerously underweight. Bulimics, while having a distorted self image, are not as severely distorted and instead are below ideal weight in an effort to look thin. they just go to an extreme. Generally a bulimic will be slightly under weight and not healthy, while an anorexic will be significantly under weight and life threateningly unhealthy. Bulimia can sometimes be helped by friendly assistance and intervention while anorexia cannot. Anorexia is a significantly more difficult disease to deal with, to treat, and to survive. If she does have anorexia, as it sounds like from your post, then she is in need of significant professional help, though without the desire to get better from her, it will be a very difficult road to travel.

7. Blake0Summers

Blake0Summers New Member

you dont want to upset her by asking if shes a bulimic. The right thing to do would be to ask if she needs help. But if I were you I would just ignor it. Concentrate on your project.

8. sexplease

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted