In desperate need of great reads

D_Hey Sailor

Experimental Member
Media
Awwwwwrite! Tis' official, I am innnnn withdrawal! :cussing:
Beheading my way through all five Game of Thrones books in under 2 months has left me sitting here twitching like a junky in need of a fix. I've even gone so far as to ponder why they bother to put nipples on a breastplate, but that's a thought for another day........

So here is what I would like you to do!..... Post the name of *any* novel, eBook, graphic novel, or Audiobook near and dear to your heart so that I may investigate it further!

Right now I have got the newest translation of Solaris in the queue, along with Dune, A Scanner Darkly, and Ender in Exile..... Genre isn't particular to me, I am simply on a sci-fi kick as of late. :privateeye:

Side thought
: any great thriller/horror novels out there? Genuinely scary stuff? :scool:

Give me brainfood!

Last edited:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
All of Laurell K. Hamilton series but my favs of hers are-

Anita Blake - Vampire Hunter series.
Very strong lead female. Lots of sex, violence and preternatural goings on...did I mention SEX?.

Meredith Gentry Series (faerie)
Strong female characters.
Lots of sex, violence, S&M, magic and related themes. SEX. Lots and lots of it.

D_Hey Sailor

Experimental Member
Media
All of Laurell K. Hamilton series but my favs of hers are-

Anita Blake - Vampire Hunter series.
Very strong lead female. Lots of sex, violence and preternatural goings on...did I mention SEX?.

Meredith Gentry Series (faerie)
Strong female characters.
Lots of sex, violence, S&M, magic and related themes. SEX. Lots and lots of it.

I see a theme here :la:

Pandora77

Cherished Member
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice (tis where I got my screenname from- one of the female Vampires).
I also like Stephen King's short stories a lot. Well, I like all his books, but some of his short stories are awesome. They made movies out of some of them (for example Shawshank Redemption).
Also if you're really really really bored and desperate enough you might wanna try reading Lord of the Rings, plus The Silmarillion. I can't believe how the movies can be as fantastic when looking at the books.
I also just got done reading Harry Potter in english. I can highly recommend the books- far better than the movies.

D_Dierks Bentwilly

Just Browsing
Media
Here are three books that I've read this summer and loved. I think they fit with a lot of the themes you are running with.

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Gritty Western pulp tale. It is one of the staples of the American Wild West. Even if you don't like westerns it is fantastic.

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Experimental fiction with so many narrative twists it blows a lot of modern fiction away. It starts with a house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside and then blows up from there.

The Road - Cormac McCarthy.
Yes it wasn't a great movie, but the book is some of McCarthy's best work. Extremely bleak, extremely brutal and marvelously tender. It is the scariest/best father and son story I have ever read.

Wasteland (Graphic Novel) - Chris J. Mitten
Another post apocalyptic tale, this time blending horror and comedy. It is a fantastic graphic novel and will appeal to you if you've ever played any of the Fallout video games or just love Mad Max movies but wish they were more violent and/or scary.

Happy reading.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
*bibliophile buzz*
hmmm

fiction
The Reapers Are The Angels - Alden Bell
Dog Blood, Hater - David Moody
Dust - Joan Frances Turner
Warm Bodies - Issac Marion
The Gates - John Connolly
Gil's All-Fright Diner - A. Lee Martinez
Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist
God is Dead - Ron Currie, Jr.
The Orange Eats Creeps - Grace Krilanovich

v32bone

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
HOUSE OF LEAVES is indeed one of the great books out there. Unsettling, msterfully written, totally inventive and spooky.

Here are three books that I've read this summer and loved. I think they fit with a lot of the themes you are running with.

Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry
Gritty Western pulp tale. It is one of the staples of the American Wild West. Even if you don't like westerns it is fantastic.

House of Leaves - Mark Z. Danielewski
Experimental fiction with so many narrative twists it blows a lot of modern fiction away. It starts with a house that is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside and then blows up from there.

The Road - Cormac McCarthy.
Yes it wasn't a great movie, but the book is some of McCarthy's best work. Extremely bleak, extremely brutal and marvelously tender. It is the scariest/best father and son story I have ever read.

Wasteland (Graphic Novel) - Chris J. Mitten
Another post apocalyptic tale, this time blending horror and comedy. It is a fantastic graphic novel and will appeal to you if you've ever played any of the Fallout video games or just love Mad Max movies but wish they were more violent and/or scary.

Happy reading.

umami_tsunami

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The Cement Garden Ian McEwan.

Dark, morbid, gleeful, but saddening and some of the flat out best prose of the late 20th century. (imo)

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

Phenomenal, huge and heart-achingly beautiful storytelling. If you are not broken down and sobbing at the end of this book, you need to check yourself for a pulse.

UncleBob

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
I live in the body of a woman whose screen name ma
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Robert J. Sawyer:
The Neanderthal Paralax trilogy (Hominids; Humans; Hybrids)

Anything by Mary Doria Russell (start with The Sparrow)

Markus Zusak:
The Book Thief

Diana Gabaldon:
The Outlander series

Janet Evanovich:
The Stephanie Plum series

Christopher Moore:
Lamb

Margaret George:
The Secret Magdalene

A note about the Laurell K. Hamilton/Anita Blake series: The premise is great and the first 6 or so books were really good, but the longer the series goes on, the less plot there is and the more it's just about the more and more ridiculous sex. I still read them, though -- I'm just ashamed to admit it.

Last edited:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yep with the ridiculous sex. Laurell seemed to loose her way and got to bogged down in the metaphysical sex crap which was just annoying..she has started to find her old form with Bullet and Hit List where Edward puts in another appearance. Where there is Edward,:smile: Otto (the serial killer) and Lots of gruesome, bloody violent death follow. Wonderful stuff.

Robert J. Sawyer:
The Neanderthal Paralax trilogy (Hominids; Humans; Hybrids)

Anything by Mary Doria Russell (start with The Sparrow)

Markus Zusak:
The Book Thief

Diana Gabaldon:
The Outlander series

Janet Evanovich:
The Stephanie Plum series

Christopher Moore:
Lamb

Margaret George:
The Secret Magdalene

A note about the Laurell K. Hamilton/Anita Blake series: The premise is great and the first 6 or so books were really good, but the longer the series goes on, the less plot there is and the more it's just about the more and more ridiculous sex. I still read them, though -- I'm just ashamed to admit it.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
HOUSE OF LEAVES is indeed one of the great books out there. Unsettling, msterfully written, totally inventive and spooky.

Thirded. I've sung it's praises on this forum before.

It's perhaps not for everyone. And the multiple-membraned narrative takes some getting accustomed to. But I found it one of the great reading experiences of my life. Thrilling, haunting, ingenious.

closetfreak

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
forgot about Clive Barker. He does have some very imaginative and in depth books. I wasnt expecting the homosexual characters from what I saw of his mainstream work. Weaveworld, Imajica, the Great Books Of Art (although he never wrote the final book)

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Birds Without Wings is a novel by Louis de Bernières. - "Man is a bird without wings, and a bird is a man without sorrows."

Also by Bernières, Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord is a great read.

If you have not read One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, you should. It's one of the great novels of the 20th century.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Also if you're really really really bored and desperate enough you might wanna try reading Lord of the Rings,

It would take desperation!!! Brilliant story, but the books are bloody tedious to read. The first one has some really good moments, but it goes rapidly down hill after that.

Diana Gabaldon:
The Outlander series

Seconded.

I would also recommend Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel. The other books in Jean M. Auel's series are readable enough, but don't even come close to the brilliance of the first one.