In Florida, if you stick your arm into a pond, you might lose your arm!

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Golfer survives chomp by 11-foot alligator in Venice
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VENICE, Fla. -- A Tennessee man who lost his ball in a golf course pond nearly lost a limb when an 11-foot alligator latched on to his arm and pulled him in, authorities said.

Bruce Burger, 50, was trying to retrieve his ball from a pond on the sixth hole Monday at the Lake Venice Golf Club.

The alligator latched on to Burger's right forearm and pulled him in the pond, said Gary Morse, a spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. He used his left arm to beat on the reptile until it freed him.

"I saw him reach down to get his ball and he yelled ... 'Help. Help. I've been bitten by a gator,'" said Janet Pallo, who was playing the fifth hole and ran over to drive the man to the clubhouse.

Burger, from Lenoir City, Tenn., was taken to a hospital but was not seriously injured, Morse said Tuesday.

It took seven Fish and Wildlife officers an hour to trap the one-eyed alligator, which measured 10 feet, 11 inches, Morse said.

The pond at the sixth hole has a "Beware of Alligator" sign posted because the staff is aware that a large alligator likes to hang out there.

"Unfortunately, that's part of Florida," course general manager Rod Parry said. "There's wildlife in these ponds."
Source: Golfer survives chomp by 11-foot alligator in Venice

So, in spite of a "Beware of Alligator" sign and he stuck his arm into the water anyway!

Unfortunately for the gator: it's a standard practice to destroy gators that attack humans or pets.

Venice is on the S.W. coast, on the Gulf of Mexico.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
... "Don't stop on tracks" ....
It's absurd that such a sign is necessary. Unfortunately, it is. Even with such signs, I see cars stopped on the tracks.:rolleyes: Idiots!

We might have a paradox: If they're too dumb to understand the sign, is the sign really needed?

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
"Missing - one-eyed alligator, currently incarcerated. Answers to name 'Lucky'".

"Beware of Alligator" hardly seems adequate in this situation. It's not much more helpful than "Watch for Falling Rocks". Something more like "Beware of Very Large Alligator" might make the sign seem less generic. An 11 foot gator is going to be maybe a 500 pounder - not an animal to be trifled with, especially considering that gators can sprint at speeds approaching 30 mph (though not for long, but certainly for longer than a golfer). The Florida record, I think, was a 14 footer, weighing something around a half ton.

I'm surprised that whacking on the thing made it give up. Standard gator practice is to either start an immediate and rather fast twisting motion, in hopes of tearing off an edible piece, or to pull the victim into deeper water, drowning it. This one seems to have been in an unusually relaxed mood.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
big dirigible, I've read of the "standard gator practice" you mentioned, and so this guy is very lucky. Often, gator attacks result in fatalities. Last year or the year before, there were three fatalities during the "mating season" which is late spring, early summer.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
big dirigible, I've read of the "standard gator practice" you mentioned, and so this guy is very lucky. Often, gator attacks result in fatalities. Last year or the year before, there were three fatalities during the "mating season" which is late spring, early summer.

Unlike this guy. The death roll in action.:eek:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unlike this guy. The death roll in action.:eek:
Yeah, that's it. It works in or out of water - same motion, tuck in the legs and roll until something breaks off.

A gator has some 80 teeth, but they're all conical grabbing teeth - no incisors or shearing cheek teeth in the lineup. So they can't chew and they can't bite off, but they sure can hold on.

Pretty cool animals.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Florida! I used to live there and went under the assumption that any body of fresh water larger than a kiddie pool probably had a gator in it. They will come out of small ponds and catch good sized dogs. A few years ago in St. Pete several racoons attacked a woman taking out her garbage at her apartment complex. As I recall, they actually knocked her down. I saw one the size of a pit bull n my back yard, in broad daylight.
Of course, we have lots of potentially dangerous critters here in northern California. We have seen mountain lions and bears in our rural neighborhood and coyotes and rattlesnakes are absolutely routine.
Dave

stretcher74

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Golf is stupid. I'm rooting for the gators.

Crocodiles are an order of magnitude more beligerent and dangerous and than Gators. Gators seem to prefer smaller animals.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
well, duh lol. but i wouldn't go near any kind of water in florida unless it's the ocean. florida's fresh water is naturally dark brown in color. that's like, hella grody

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
surferboy, my parents owned property facing Lake Okeechobee. When I was a teenager, me and my friends would go swimming in the perimeter canal and sometimes in the lake. I was more concerned about snakes than alligators!