In his own words? Jason_Els.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Nick8, Feb 5, 2010.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Two weeks ago, I told you that there was a small, family and local friends only gathering called to remember Jason. Each of us was called upon, in turn, to speak.

I had nothing to say that hadn't been said before and so what I had done was to print out the thread I'd written notifying you all of Jason's death and your responses to it, the incredibly kind and illuminating things you had to say about him and your relationship to him. I read perhaps 15 or 20 of your insights on Jason and your relationship with him and the impact of your words on his family could not have been more profound.

Like most of us, the world in which we live is a mystery to our parents and family. With Jason, this was perhaps especially true. They had very little understanding of how varied his impact was, how profound and how deep to which the level of his relationships extended. As I read, your insights and incredibly kind words not only sombered his family but ultimately opened their eyes in a way they'd never imagined and gratified them. It was extremely difficult to get through and by the end, everyone was in tears.

Jason's father called me today. He and his mother are putting together a statement to all of you thanking you for being a part of Jason's life and he wanted to know if there was a way I could make you aware of their appreciation and gratitude. I assured them there was and told him to e-mail it to me and that I would post it.

He also asked me if I had access to Jason's "writings". To his words, his philosophies about life, love, people, etc. because the family would like to put together a book about Jason trying to sum him up, to show whom he was as a person. Now, knowing that there was this huge, other side to Jason, and this amazing group of people who knew him in a way they'd never dreamed possible, could I help?

I said yes, I could, but I'm putting this out to you, too. In Jason's thread, someone (I'm sorry, I could look it up and be specific but I'm too lazy just now) mentioned a wonderful post he'd made about his dog, Tristan, which I'd never read that was incredibly illuminating. I can't imagine anyone better but you, his friends, to point me to the things he wrote that, to you, individually, spoke most of whom he was and how he felt about such important things.

So, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to help me go through his 10,000 posts and point me towards what you think is most Jason.

Thank you in advance, from his family.

Nick xx

#1 B_Nick8, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Thank you for this, Nick.
    I had wondered many times how that service had gone, but didn't want to trouble you with questions at such a difficult time.
    Jason's family sound wonderful.
    I am sure you made the best possible representation of this group.

3. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
  4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

I didn't at all, Rubes. I didn't have to. You (and yours was one of the ones I read; "patrician of the spirit" nearly killed his mom) all did that yourselves.

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for; the things that resonate personally but are still so revealing. Thanks, 'Bear.

6. badgirl22

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You are a doll to be doing this. I know how hard losing Jason was for you. I wish I had something to share with you.

7. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    my pleasure. I just wish I could have told him in life how much he meant to me and how much help he truely gave me.

8. luka82

Gold Member

Thank you!

9. Strontium

Strontium New Member

Albums:
    Are personal letters allowed?

I had the briefest of correspondences with him, and found his very genuine warmth and sincerity utterly heartwarming. Here's one of the two letters we wrote to each other, we had been discussing climate change on a thread, he had expressed skepticism, i was defending the evidence:

Thank you, Nick, for giving this opportunity to share the grief of the loss of Jason.

#9 Strontium, Feb 6, 2010
  10. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    This is a good thing you're doing, Nick.

The insight in this post made me want to stand up and applaud. Instead I just wrote a quick PM to say well done. I wish I'd written with him more.

http://www.lpsg.org/61634-where-were-you-september-11-a-5.html#post1008742

*still had time to edit*
    In it's entirety.

#10 Gillette, Feb 6, 2010
  11. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

More than allowed, desperately asked for. These are the things we would never have had access to otherwise.

Thank you for offering this to us all.

xx

12. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

And, by the way, it would be easier if you actually posted what you wanted to show Jason was saying. I'm going to have to do this for his mother and father and so it would make it easier if we didn't have to hit a link each time. [Just sayin' :wink:]

13. Strontium

Strontium New Member

Albums:
    Here are the 2 letters that followed, showing his ability to deal equally openly about matters ranging from academic, to, well, highly personal! As I recollect, he would update us on the forum with his progress with P.E., an abbreviation he had to explain to me:

14. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Awww....great idea Nick. And the reading you did sounds awesome and really touching.

I'll have a look and see what I can find. :)

15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

One of the things Jason's dad was worried about was "intruding" on Jason's privacy. This was, I suspect, because he hadn't known of Jase's internet life, and his many friends there. I explained that Jason was extremely proud of whom he was and how he felt about things (his militant anti-circumcision stance, for example) and said that if I felt I (we) were violating his privacy, I wouldn't be doing it. I know, in my heart of hearts, however, that Jason simply never took the time to talk to his parents about who he really was, not in his entirety.

That's part of the reason I'm asking for your help.

16. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I loved Jason's views on the UK and Europe...

"One thing Americans endlessly notice about Europe is that despite being a good deal cleaner, the whole damn place is crumbling. Everywhere you go there's something old and crumbling in the center, usually gated off for safety, or alone and forgotten on a hill. If they had kept the EU to just an open trade zone, standardized weights and measures and practices, it would be a good deal. Now it's some monstrous behemoth with scales and tentacles. I truly think Europe should have a common trade and defense pact, maybe a single currency, but trying to turn it into the US of E is not going to work so hot. There are so many little messes like the Aland Islands and Man and French medieval guild exemptions and spending zillions of Euros on debating whether Mount Athos should be forced to admit women on its property that it's absurd. It's bureaucracy without leadership, built by bureaucrats for bureaucrats.

At some point pendulums will swing the other way, a young generation will want to recapture their culture, and they will balk at EU hegemony.

The reason I said that about the UK was because the UK and the US are inextricably linked by the need for mutual security. The UK is the one country in Europe we would defend with nuclear weapons for if we lose the UK then the rest of Europe has already been lost. It, like Japan, is essential for US security in the Atlantic. Both countries know this and have developed decades of policy and cooperation to assure mutual assistance. In this one area, which in government, is of ultimate importance beyond everything else, the US and the UK are linked in a way that the UK and Europe never will be and never really have been."

He was also well aware of the mutual respect and admiration between the two countries. :smile:

17. Onslow

Gold Member

If I can somehow keep from laughing, crying, laughing, learning something and beiing amazed, more laughing, crying, laughing, asking myself huh? then laughing~~ that is what his posts come down to for me. I can't point out any handful of posts which most get to me.

Two threads which freak me out to an incredible degree are these:

http://www.lpsg.org/114715-how-do-i-know-if.html from December of 2008 and the other is:: http://www.lpsg.org/115793-ok-this-is-creepy.html which was downright ominous consiidering the events with in the next weeks. I can't stop thinking it was a message from his grandfathere on the other side letting him know they were getting ready for him {somebody has to believe in these supernatural/other worldly events and it might as well be me}
    I am still attempting to figure what to say on the man even as the 3 weeks approaches and neither of the above fully states who he was. A person always searching and seeking to learn and explore and find out not just how things were done in his view but how others saw those same things. How can such an intricate man be summed up? I just can't seem to get there~~but I'll take another read of his posts, if only to be reminded of the great treasure we were blessed to have had contact with..

Equally weird about his This is Creepy thread is that it was begun exactly a year to the day before his final post here of December 30.

A post which shows one moment of how he saw himself:: http://www.lpsg.org/1927849-post28.html
    ""I am a perpetual palimpsest of flesh inscribed with blood. Read by many, interpreted by none the same, an imprimatur of life occult.

As you have said, "It is sometimes hard to see yourself as you really are, and the world for what it truly is as the truth is always filtered through your ego." Substitute, "always," for, "sometimes," and I think you'd be exactly correct.

The true challenge is not to ask who you are. Just simply be."

18. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jase on music...

Pretty much my first contact with Jase on this site (almost a year ago, 23 Feb 09). The original post is longer, but he was definitely fond of that piece of music (The Passion of Joan of Arc).

He was a fount of cultural knowledge - and I was hoping to mine a lot more of his expertise on historical and geopolitical matters. :(

#18 Joll, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  19. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jase on cars...

" :frown1: Koenigsegg Just Dropped Saab
    I'm sad. I was hoping Koenigsegg would save Saab from the evil clutches of GM but no such luck."

He'd have been pleased that they've been rescued by Spyker, then. ;)

20. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Coming to someone's defense...

This really impressed me at the time... (Sorry for hijacking the thread, btw - just thought I might as well post the ones I remember, while it's in my mind).

#20 Joll, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted