In lust with a "straight" guy

Fredro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"Imporperness aside.. asuming he is straight
Just put yourself in his shoes and pretend you are not gay, and some gay guy you have worked with for TEN years suddenly comes onto you and you have to tell him you are not interested. No body wants to deal with that kind of situation."

You can't assume he's straight in this situation. It's already been established that this tidbit of information is unknown. There ought to be an inoffensive way to find out a person's orientation. Also, there's a BIG difference between respectfully trying to figure out about someone's orientation and coming on to them.

Put yourself in my situation - I'm gay. I have had to tell women at work I wasn't interested in them. I didn't find their advances offensive. I rebuffed the advances politely. They assumed I was straight and started hitting on me from that wrong assumption. I was assumed to be the orientation they were looking for. I suppose it's accepted that I just have to take it with a grain of salt and move on. They were acting just as improperly as a gay guy who might do the same were they not?

The bigger issue here is not a gay guy putting the moves on a guy of undecided orientation. It's how to properly try to decipher another guy's orientation without having the roof cave in. Of course if the guy is straight, the whole thing is concluded. If he's gay, things might be able to proceed but not until the orientation question is answered.

Since the OP is gay, it sounds like everyone is saying he should bow to the stigma of being gay and just keep quiet. Similar to what I mentioned above - If a straight guy pursues a woman, that's pretty much OK if he acts properly. A gay man who acts politely and respectfully can't try to figure out another guy's orientation in order to find out if he can tell of his feelings? Again - What a double standard.

Fredro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
"If the OP does end up taking this person out, he should be the one to come out to his former employee. If he's lucky, the feelings will be reciprocated and everything will work out. If not, move on."

With that approach, I totally agree. It doesn't get in the other guy's face and he's not put on the spot.

Idreamfilthy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I think it's sad that this guy confessed his feelings and all these str8 guys in the thread are telling him to mind his own business blah blah.
If you feel after 10 years you have a connection - then be brave and don't let the opportunity to be happy pass you by ... love shouldn't make u feel embarrassed, shy, nervous, scared, it should set you free ...
If the feelings are not mutual, you fucked up and you need to get over it... good luck.

jerryhall

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"Imporperness aside.. asuming he is straight
Just put yourself in his shoes and pretend you are not gay, and some gay guy you have worked with for TEN years suddenly comes onto you and you have to tell him you are not interested. No body wants to deal with that kind of situation."

You can't assume he's straight in this situation. It's already been established that this tidbit of information is unknown. There ought to be an inoffensive way to find out a person's orientation. Also, there's a BIG difference between respectfully trying to figure out about someone's orientation and coming on to them.

Put yourself in my situation - I'm gay. I have had to tell women at work I wasn't interested in them. I didn't find their advances offensive. I rebuffed the advances politely. They assumed I was straight and started hitting on me from that wrong assumption. I was assumed to be the orientation they were looking for. I suppose it's accepted that I just have to take it with a grain of salt and move on. They were acting just as improperly as a gay guy who might do the same were they not?

The bigger issue here is not a gay guy putting the moves on a guy of undecided orientation. It's how to properly try to decipher another guy's orientation without having the roof cave in. Of course if the guy is straight, the whole thing is concluded. If he's gay, things might be able to proceed but not until the orientation question is answered.

Since the OP is gay, it sounds like everyone is saying he should bow to the stigma of being gay and just keep quiet. Similar to what I mentioned above - If a straight guy pursues a woman, that's pretty much OK if he acts properly. A gay man who acts politely and respectfully can't try to figure out another guy's orientation in order to find out if he can tell of his feelings? Again - What a double standard.

THANKS EVERYBODY, AND ESPECIALLY YOU FREDRO.

I really care about this guy. I have helped him in many ways over the years and my feelings for him are pretty strong. I have lots of other great relationships in my life, so I am not a desperate closet queen clutching at some straight guy fantasy.

Lot's of good advice here guys, I am going to give him information about me in a really nice way as a way to round out our relationship and try to continue a friendship. I might even tell him that, being gay, I have a crush on him that I know will not be reciprocated and try to laugh it off and make him feel comfortable that those feelings are natural. At least that way we can be friends, and I won't expect anything more or try to make anything happen unless I get a very clear signal that his is hot for it.

The important thing is to be real and have respect for him.

And who knows, maybe one day we will be out drinking a couple of beers and things will go too far and he'll be a huge disappointment and I'll be rebuffing his attempts to make it happen again!

jerryhall

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think it's sad that this guy confessed his feelings and all these str8 guys in the thread are telling him to mind his own business blah blah.
If you feel after 10 years you have a connection - then be brave and don't let the opportunity to be happy pass you by ... love shouldn't make u feel embarrassed, shy, nervous, scared, it should set you free ...
If the feelings are not mutual, you fucked up and you need to get over it... good luck.

THANKS! Somebody understands me...

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I am really sad that I can't take my relationship with him to another level and that we really aren't friends outside of work.
He's a real loner, ...Maybe he is bi?
...Should I invite him out to dinner and get him drunk? HELP!

I am going to give him information about me in a really nice way as a way to round out our relationship and try to continue a friendship.

I find it sad that you didn't have supper+drinks with him or attempt to become friends "outside of work" in the last ten years. I do hope that you are able to be friends now. Goodluck with that.

javyn

Experimental Member
Media
Interesting how you put the word straight in quotes. Like, straight men are only straight b/c they haven't been turned gay yet.

Kind of the same thing as telling a lesbian she's only a lesbian because she has yet to experience a good dick.

irreal

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interesting how you put the word straight in quotes. Like, straight men are only straight b/c they haven't been turned gay yet.

Kind of the same thing as telling a lesbian she's only a lesbian because she has yet to experience a good dick.

...or maybe his just used the quotes as asumming that most people are straight, so that guy should be straight, but not demonstrated yet any evidence of a sexual orientation (like he shoud!)

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
On one of the work day follow him to the restroom after 2 mintues if you have stall then piss beside him and start a little conversation about hang out at the bar or Hooter. Then you all can work on the detail later. You just want a yes at first.

If he's gay that might work but most straigt guys don't find the urinal a real social atmosphere.