In Memory of Diana

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Today marks the tenth anniversary of the death of Princess Diana.

I thank her for the wonderful work she did on behalf of people affect with AIDS and horrid deaths caused by land mines. She broke a number of rules dealing with the Royal Family and brought a beautiful sincere personality to causes she believed in. She forced the world to deal with problems facing it.

I continue to miss her and her radiant smile

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Today marks the tenth anniversary of the death of Princess Diana.

I thank her for the wonderful work she did on behalf of people affect with AIDS and horrid deaths caused by land mines. She broke a number of rules dealing with the Royal Family and brought a beautiful sincere personality to causes she believed in. She forced the world to deal with problems facing it.

I continue to miss her and her radiant smile

Yes, it was a sad loss. I had heard that she was thinking about moving to NYC, that would have been great.

huw ginnit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
...but now it's been 10 years can we all move on? It's worth remembering that the outpouring of grief at the time of her death in no way benefitted the causes she was attached to and years later, they are still unsupported, she could have been the patron of widowed billionaires and had much the same effect-- her involvement was merely a press exercise.

She shook hands, and wore nice dresses,as was expected of her. She also kissed and told, had affairs and generally behaved terribly... I know we shouldn't speak ill of the dead but she had serious problems; as do many, only most don't live them out in the press.

Please, move on with your lives

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I started this thread out of respect for Diana and her sons who held a memorial service to their mother today in London.

It will probably be the last public memorial for Diana and I felt to was appropriate to start the thread.

Your right her death did not benefit any of the causes she believed in but while she was alive it did.

Her work to ban land mines resulted in the Ottawa Accord to ban land mines. Many countries signed onto it. And some countries have increased efforts to remove land mines from their territory and no longer use them.

One notable except to the agreement is the US.

Press exercise or not, she did help just by her presence. Why else do most charities want a celebrity to draw attention to their cause

Yes she dressed well and shook hands as expected. But ask those who shook her hand how they felt. Ask the people on the AIDS wards what it meant to them.

She behaved badly at times just like any other human the only difference is being beautiful, rich and royal the tabloids took advantage of it to make millions. Much of what they reported was none of our business. Would anyone want to live their life in a fishbowl? It was an invasion of privacy.

frizzle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Pansexual
Fo sho dude

Its as if they're there just to make money from gullible americonians who fly over to see them or buy magazines with them on the cover.

But of course that's not the case. No.

Oh it's not for the Americans, we're afraid you'll come over to our country, shoot us and blame it on friendly fire..

Seriously, can't we give this Diana thing a rest?

"Why did they have a memorial pop concert for Princess Diana?
She wasn't that into music that much.
They should of had something to reflect on her favorite pastimes in life.
Like a gang bang in a minefield".

Oh honestly!

Look. I don't know the woman, never met her. She seemed like a nice lady. I'm sorry for her kids and family whom I am sure miss her terribly. Being orphaned is horrible, particularly for younger children. I don't wish that on anybody.

The classy thing to do is either keep your mouth shut or simply offer your condolences to canuck_pa and other people to whom she was a public, government personage and leave it at that. To the peoples of 53 nations over which the British crown is sovereign, she was an apolitical representative of parliamentary democratic government and the peoples of those nations. She had one constitutional duty and she fulfilled it.

We Americans and others may find the royal family amusing. We may think they're ridiculous. It doesn't matter. If you're not a citizen of a Commonwealth country then you don't complain about her in public as she didn't represent you, and your tax dollars didn't go to paying for her save for the rare occasions when she may have visited your country on an official government visit and received a security detail. She wasn't a despot, she wasn't political.

It's one thing to complain loudly about your own government, or oppressive government anywhere, and completely another to publically complain about somebody else's representative government. It's disrespectful, tactless, and ill treats the people of nations who have been our allies in a time when we have few to spare.

To canuck_pa and other people of the Commonwealth who feel a sense of loss on this day, I offer my condolences on this anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.

Simple, no?

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not that much of a royalist but if Canuck wants to post a thread about the memorial of Diana then he should be able to do so freely without all this crap coming back at him. There is nothing in the OP that anyone of normal mind would find offensive.

OK so some of you didn't like Diana. Don't bother reading the thread.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I thank those posters who support my right to start this thread whether you agree with my sentiment or not. I do not agree with all the opinions expressed here but respect your right to them.

I'm sorry some of you felt it was necessary to denigrate Diana by turning this into a political argument or personal slam on her memory.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's not feigned. The disdain is genuine. Please add me to your ignore list, and stop dragging this from thread to thread (a bannable offence, FYI).

If you wish to put me on ignore, so be it. I don't feel the need to use
the ignore button.

I am not dragging anything. It was just an observation I made and did
not want to start a new thread to discuss it.

As for bringing one subject from one thread to another one, it is done
here all the time, regardless of it being a positive or negative
comment.

Not only that, but people bring things from other websites here too. Is that banable?

I think that denegrating someone with a link on your signature is more
of a banable offense. (trolling), and the pot calling the kettle black.

I will not bother anyone who does not bait me, and I will try to ignore
those who do.

that being said, let's let Diana rest in peace.

Adam875

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm not that much of a royalist but if Canuck wants to post a thread about the memorial of Diana then he should be able to do so freely without all this crap coming back at him. There is nothing in the OP that anyone of normal mind would find offensive.

OK so some of you didn't like Diana. Don't bother reading the thread.

Thanks Davey, I'm glad you said it. A thread which began with a courteous post quickly degenerated into vitriol. Interesting ... and very 'un-LPSG', I would have thought.

Thanks Davey, I'm glad you said it. A thread which began with a courteous post quickly degenerated into vitriol. Interesting ... and very 'un-LPSG', I would have thought.

Agreed and very sad.