In the past, we’re white briefs ever the “cool/in” underwear of choice?

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah, and actually if I remember correctly (50s, 60s) white may have been the only color for briefs; I don't think boxer briefs had made an appearence yet (could be wrong about that last part)
My Dad says the first boxer briefs he saw on a guy were his brand, Jockey, but they were pretty long in the legs, like almost to the knee, and white and the waist had gold lettering and a stripe. He thinks 91 or 92.

My uncle says he remembers on boy having maroon fruit of the loom briefs, also around 1990 or 89, The side seam of the crotch and the leg openings and waist were white. He says while all the boys in white breifs just hung out like they needed to air out their junk for a while, that boy got changed as fast as he could, almost ashamed he had colored underwear.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Boxer briefs were once commonly thought to have been pioneered by designer John Varvatos during his 1990–1995 stint at Calvin Klein as head of menswear design.[2] However, the style was available much earlier, as designed by Giorgio Armani and as worn by Richard Gere in the 1980 film American Gigolo. Made famous by a series of 1992 print ads featuring Mark "Marky Mark" Wahlberg,[2][3] they have been called "one of the greatest apparel revolutions of the century".[2] Of their creation Varvatos said in 2010, "We just cut off a pair of long johns and thought, this could be cool..."[2]

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm in my early 40s, and back in the 80's and early 90's literally everyone wore white briefs some of the time, if not all the time. They were standard back then. In the mid 90s, boxer shorts became the "cool" choice (where previously, they were seen as an "old grandpa" underwear). In the 00's, boxerbriefs became popular. In my time, I've tried all different kinds of men's underwear, but I keep coming back to briefs. They're the most comfortable to me, and I like that they have less fabric. (No bunching up anywhere & no need to readjust throughout the day....and more freedom of movement for an active lifestyle.)
I think we are coming back to a time in areas where that will hold true again, at least among the jock types or athletic guys.

I just text out to 24 guys all younger than me, so less than 28, random guys i know, but all athletic. Two questions"
How many of you have at least one pair of briefs in your underwear drawer and wear them at least once a month? 17 of them text back that they do.
I ask those how many had at least one pair of briefs that were solid white. .....9 said they do.

I have similarly tried to find any opinion about Boxers and not having much luck. I myself have recently acquired a couple pair of boxers, more athletic type fabric with a fly that stays mostly closed but no button. For the first time in my life, im not in and out of a locker room a few times a day every day, so I find for sitting and needing to make a quick trip to piss and for sleek lines and no wrinkles under dress pants, these boxers work good, and easy to take a piss, although with lite colored pants beward, athletic favrick is usually wicking fabric and one drop of piss will end up showing a wet spot on you pants.

My Uncles college underwear phase was bikini briefs, of which he still has most of them, and in pretty good shape for their age. My favorites are some Jockey POCO ones, they seem to be a fuller cut just no traditional waistband and nice pouchish design or cut with a white layer of soft fabric in the crotch. He also has some Lee Wright ones that are really thin and wrap your cock nicely and actually feel pretty good, makes your package feel nice and heavy but in a good way.

I have seen one pair of boxers in 7 years of being in a college wrestling locker room. This one kid would come in and sometimes put his spandex on over his boxers even his singlet, for practice anyway. Of course the boxers would become soaked in sweat, and this was early morngin workouts too when most guys would shower and head straight to breakfast or class. So his underwear always soaked, he dressed for class commando. I realized he never looked like he wore boxers under his normal clothes at any time in the day, finally I brought up what i was wondering to him, and he confessed that he never wore boxers, just put them on to wear to practice then they get sweaty and he had an excuse to go commando. Thing is, he went commando since a few years ago, he just didn't know how the guys would take it, so he would literally go put on boxers just to wear to practice to get them soaked in sweat just to have an excuse for being commando all day.
Found and he and his from roommate were both commando guys, come from the same high school, both wrestled in high school, but only the one wrestled in college. I suggested he stop that, ditch the boxers, use a jockstrap during practice and not worry about what the guys though, I assured him they got over me wearing a jockstrap and pushing all them to do the same, they would def get over him going commando under his school clothes. The next practice he showed up already commando, got a jock from the cart and within a week had given his boxers away to more non athletic types.

Other than some middle schoolers and high school freshmen, some, not many, and some out of high school guys who sit around and game all the time, I really don't know any groups of guys woh wear boxers. A lot of guys have a pair or two. Some of my boys friends will put on boxers under thin shorts and swim like that, especially in less public pools, but some even at the city pool.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It seems presumptuous of you to dismiss the myriad statements in this forum as "not true at all." Do you mean to say that the experience of virtually ALL the other posters is somehow false or made up? How would you know?
I was pleasantly surprised to see the number of guys who responded just as I would have: that until about the later 80's boxers were for OLD MEN. In the 70's in hs, NO ONE in my private boys school wore them .

I went to college in the Northeast and it was only the prep school kids who wore boxers. Virtually no one I knew wore them, except, perhaps, as dorm wear to hang out.

I have never, ever heard anyone say "boxer briefs were girly or "gross." Where did you hear that?As many posters here have mentioned, the choice of most guys appears to be boxer briefs now.

Besides, the OP asked about guys of older generations, so if you're that young, maybe you don't have the experience he's asking about.
I am probably too young to have the experience the OP was looking for too, but i wanted to comment on a few things on your reply to that other guys, the one "pending deletion".

I have wrestled against hundreds of prep school boys in my life and i have never seen one in boxers either not coming into the locker room or dressing to go home, and def not during a competition. , again, def a different era though too.

On a side note, did you ever watch the 1991 movie "Toy Soldiers"?

Not sure what to think about BB's being girly or gross, not even sure what there i about them to be either.
I also have never seen my 80 year old grandpa in boxers or known him to have any. Always briefs, usually white, various brands, he has lately though wore some Jockey pouch boxer briefs. While i didn't pose the question, i have to assume my Dad got them for him at some point. That is what Dad wears.

My first semester in college about a decade ago, i was in a regular dorm, vs athletic dorm, and i did see some wearing boxers as dorm wear, I never did to their despise at times, lol, but also more and more stopped as time went on and roamed the hall in whatever was their normal underwear. Maybe it was that the boxers got left home on laundry weekends or they just stopped playing that game. I never saw that happen in an athletic dorm.

As far as the current 18 to 28 guys, now, Trunks are rapidly becoming more popular, and the shorter the better. All they guys i see in the locker rooms since Xmas in their new stocking stuffer underwear, its been almost all trunks. The trend in the lenght of the preferred shorts they are wearing makes it a necessity so the underwear is no longer than the shorts.
Also at least among wrestlers, briefs and bikini briefs are not a rarity, it's hard to get college wrestlers back in the mind set to wear a jock, since they have been ruled out for high school for a few years now, but almost all the incoming freshmen wrestlers have briefs of some kind with them even at camps and stuff.

All of my boys have briefs in their underwear rotation and it really don't have to be anythng athletic or special going on for them to wear them

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I did notice some wasitband sightings featuring briefs under boxers. I guess that some guys wanted to be stylish with boxers while keeping the support of briefs.
I have seen this as well back in high school or before for me, and the ones I saw were a bit older

Reactions: jockbear

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Did anyone get to choose the type of underwear they wore growing up? I didn't. Parents (mom in my case) bought white briefs and that's what we wore. Very few--Just a couple friends and cousins--wore boxers because that's what their parental units bought them.

Not until I started buying my own did I begin to choose other styles.
it is still a very big swing in ages that boys will step up and ask to have say so in their underwear choice of style and brand. A lot start pushing for American Eagle anything by about age 12.

I was lucky in the respect that my Dad took over mine and his underwear shopping before middle school even, That also meant I was TOLD to wear a jockstrap by 7th grade, and I did. Definitely don't regret that at all.

elklindoxxx

Superior Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I can't ever remember wearing white briefs. I like boxers because they are more comfortable. I only wear boxer briefs when I work out. The Under Armor boxer briefs are very durable and comfortable.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
I am probably too young to have the experience the OP was looking for too, but i wanted to comment on a few things on your reply to that other guys, the one "pending deletion".

I have wrestled against hundreds of prep school boys in my life and i have never seen one in boxers either not coming into the locker room or dressing to go home, and def not during a competition. , again, def a different era though too.

On a side note, did you ever watch the 1991 movie "Toy Soldiers"?

Not sure what to think about BB's being girly or gross, not even sure what there i about them to be either.
I also have never seen my 80 year old grandpa in boxers or known him to have any. Always briefs, usually white, various brands, he has lately though wore some Jockey pouch boxer briefs. While i didn't pose the question, i have to assume my Dad got them for him at some point. That is what Dad wears.

My first semester in college about a decade ago, i was in a regular dorm, vs athletic dorm, and i did see some wearing boxers as dorm wear, I never did to their despise at times, lol, but also more and more stopped as time went on and roamed the hall in whatever was their normal underwear. Maybe it was that the boxers got left home on laundry weekends or they just stopped playing that game. I never saw that happen in an athletic dorm.

As far as the current 18 to 28 guys, now, Trunks are rapidly becoming more popular, and the shorter the better. All they guys i see in the locker rooms since Xmas in their new stocking stuffer underwear, its been almost all trunks. The trend in the lenght of the preferred shorts they are wearing makes it a necessity so the underwear is no longer than the shorts.
Also at least among wrestlers, briefs and bikini briefs are not a rarity, it's hard to get college wrestlers back in the mind set to wear a jock, since they have been ruled out for high school for a few years now, but almost all the incoming freshmen wrestlers have briefs of some kind with them even at camps and stuff.

All of my boys have briefs in their underwear rotation and it really don't have to be anythng athletic or special going on for them to wear them
Thanks for writing all this. I'm not sure I understood this passage:

"I have wrestled against hundreds of prep school boys in my life and i have never seen one in boxers either not coming into the locker room or dressing to go home, and def not during a competition. , again, def a different era though too."

I think it might be punctuation. I think you mean you never saw any prep school kid in boxers anywhere, either coming in to the locker room for practice or dressing in the Locker room to return to the dorm. Is that right? It'd be weirder than weird to see a guy wear boxers under his singlet, but I have seen something kind of like that: A guy in my local boring suburban "health club" a few years ago stripped to his boxers and then struggled to pull on compression shorts. He spent a lot of time shoving his boxers legs into the comp short legs and it looked stupid and like a pain in the ass as well. Incomprehensible.

I am surprised you never saw boxers in the locker room and equally surprised that you saw wrestlers wearing bikini briefs--that's not a style I associate with them.
As I understand you, you yourself never wore boxers in the dorm and as time went on, guys would just wear any kind of underwear when hanging out in the dorm. Is that right?

I attended my local colleges wrestling meet Sat night. ALL the competitors were commando under their singlets, which I think is the norm, based on youtube videos. I myself have changed in the small guest locker room which shares a space with a caged in wrestlers' changing room. I have never seen a jockstrap there (tho I have left a few that simply remain untouched for months). I have, however, tried on a. singlet I found abandoned in the lost and found and was surprised how supportive they were for my balls. My observation is that wrestlers simply don't care if the public at large sees them readjusting their cocks handbills constantly between points.
All this to say, I'd like to see some kind of underwear on wrestlers, but it seems unlikely.
Thanks again.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So great! So much information and depiction of the social side of men's underwear. Thanks!
A friend of mine on here pointed me to something in a later part of this thread, but i got to reading the whole thing, even the parts it got off track from the original poster, Lots of thing started clicking in my mind, and my Dad and Uncle and me and my boys all are pretty comfortable talking underwear. I remember my
Dad and uncle talking about their underwear trends and stuff and i don't think my Uncle ever throws anything away till its in rags, because he has a couple big storage boxes, the rubber maid kind, full of underwear from different pionts in his life when he made a change for one reason or another.

The original question being stated was for "older" men, over 40. I had the chance to assemble a group of 9 of us yesterday to discuss underwear and trends and popularity and stuff. My dad, a 1988 high school graduate, my Uncle a 1991, one of their school pals from somewhere similar in age, his name is Cory. Myself, im 28 and a former college athlete and assistant coach in college and now to youth. I do have 4 teenage boys, obviously not mine biologically, but the fact i have 30 plus pair of mens underweear come through my laundry every week does add to my knowledge. The rest of the group were late teens, 18, 19, or early 20's. One a total stud bull rider who also played football in high school, one a high school wrestler, the rest are either current or former basketball and or mullti sport athletes. I say that because it seems to make a difference in underwear preferences and opinions.

I have only ever really felt a few guys considered anyone elses choice to be childish, but for that opinion in underwear, its definitely the guys my age and a bit older, so mid 20's to 39, i'll say.

My uncle says he never knew any of his pals to switch to boxers, he had never even seen a guy in boxers till he saw a couple in college too ashamed to walk down the hall to shower in normal underwear as he called it.

Were white breifs ever cool, yeah, they were, and are at times with certain segments of young men now. My Dad and Uncle both say White briefs were def cool and popular, the guys who wore white briefs, were not ashamed to hang out in them, skinny dip in them, so to speak, go shirtless on the farm and let the waistband show, and just be seen in them in general. This would have been 80's and at least first half of 90's.

One thing my Uncle has told me about was when some of the local boys who had gone off to college would come back to the farm over the summer to help out and after a hot day, they would go to the barn in the shade and get out of their blue jeans and hang out, cooling off, in their white briefs. Those briefs so full of sweat they sagged and gapped and he could not wait till he was one of them, he said they alway had this gap between the legs and the crotch of the undewear that showed some ballsack and pubic hair, and for someone praying for their turn to hit puberty, that was a huge thing.

My dad actually dissappointed my Uncle when he went underwear shopping for himself once and started wearing Jockey H fly briefs, but got the light grey or heather grey ones. In his mind they just were not as cool as the plain old cheap cotton ones, almost like he was a phoney farm boy or jock or had betrayed himi somehow. The other gentleman in our conversation yesterday was actually the one who was with my Dad when he bought those Jockey briefs. Dad had needed to go actually buy a couple extra jockstraps, Cory invited hmself to come along not knowing Dad's reason for going shopping. Dad finally had to tell him and Cory who still played football in college was like, I have plenty of jocks, coach gives us all we want, spend your money on these breifs and we'll do some swapping back at the room. Cory's statement to my Dad back then they say was that those briefs are easy to grab your dick for a quick wank. Easy access fly and all.

Dad must have like those breifs, as that is all i ever saw him in growing up, he had white ones, tons of the grey ones, a few black a few navy blue, not remembering much else color wise, i would say he seemed to like the grey best and white second best though.

an older guy on my football team, old enough he turned 18 before senior year started, (he used to buy cigarettes and resell them to make cash) (no, i don't nor never did smoke, but others did), he shows up late summer when the real practices start, his locker two down from mine. He had always been trendy with AE underwear and stuff, this was like 2011, and he was opening a new package of white Jockey Y front briefs, size 34, needed those to cover his nicely muscular ass. Every day that season he come in, stripped naked of his nicer underwear, put on his white Y fronts then his football pants. Never did get him to try a jockstrap. He must have had a dozen total pair of those briefs, he would leave them and toss them in the white cart and they would get washed at school. Others must have liked his idea, several were sharing in his briefs before long, they def didn't soak up as much sweat as the American Eagle boxer briefs of the day. So in that niche setting, white breifs became popular again.

Reactions: Jacobear

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I can't ever remember wearing white briefs. I like boxers because they are more comfortable. I only wear boxer briefs when I work out. The Under Armor boxer briefs are very durable and comfortable.
man, im just the opposite, i can't stand boxer briefs on when i am working out or doing any sport. But I was brought up that the only thing appropriate was a jockstrap and that's what i got used to, and being the pushy guy i am, i pushed many to give them a try. Any undergarment with legs annoys me when i am working out or being active tho.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Thanks for writing all this. I'm not sure I understood this passage:

"I have wrestled against hundreds of prep school boys in my life and i have never seen one in boxers either not coming into the locker room or dressing to go home, and def not during a competition. , again, def a different era though too."
I think you had made a statement that you attended a prep school and never saw boys in boxers, i was just reiterating that, and you would think on some all day tournaments if any of the boys had boxers, they would wake up and wear them like to the morning weigh in or have them handy to put on after the day was over and they showered. Just never saw any sign that any of them wore them. I was around some prep schools from like 08 till just recently.

Reactions: WillyWanka

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I think it might be punctuation. I think you mean you never saw any prep school kid in boxers anywhere, either coming in to the locker room for practice or dressing in the Locker room to return to the dorm. Is that right? It'd be weirder than weird to see a guy wear boxers under his singlet, but I have seen something kind of like that: A guy in my local boring suburban "health club" a few years ago stripped to his boxers and then struggled to pull on compression shorts. He spent a lot of time shoving his boxers legs into the comp short legs and it looked stupid and like a pain in the ass as well. Incomprehensible.
Your assumption is correct.

I have seen what you are talking about, and under a singlet, boxers look like a diaper

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I am surprised you never saw boxers in the locker room and equally surprised that you saw wrestlers wearing bikini briefs--that's not a style I associate with them.
As I understand you, you yourself never wore boxers in the dorm and as time went on, guys would just wear any kind of underwear when hanging out in the dorm. Is that right?
The only time i have ever really noticed any athlete in a locker room wearing boxers, was maybe a visiting basektball or soccer team having some.

When jockstraps were no longer allowed to weigh in, nor was being naked for weigh in's some of the guys sought out the skimpiest underwear they could find to wear weighing in. It wasn't really a style choice but a forced need more or less.

I did not ever wear boxers in the dorm. some did, more in the regular dorm than the athletic dorm, but even in the regular dorm the number who wore them up and down the hall dimished a bit each week almost starting with week two of a semester.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I attended my local colleges wrestling meet Sat night. ALL the competitors were commando under their singlets, which I think is the norm, based on youtube videos. I myself have changed in the small guest locker room which shares a space with a caged in wrestlers' changing room. I have never seen a jockstrap there (tho I have left a few that simply remain untouched for months). I have, however, tried on a. singlet I found abandoned in the lost and found and was surprised how supportive they were for my balls. My observation is that wrestlers simply don't care if the public at large sees them readjusting their cocks handbills constantly between points.
All this to say, I'd like to see some kind of underwear on wrestlers, but it seems unlikely.
Thanks again.
because more and more guys are forced into compression shorts as the only underwear option, more and more are optint to try to get away with going cammando.
The average wrestler picks a singlet 2 sizes below what is rated for his weight. That def add some support. Most have never felt the true support of a jockstrap, in all my time pushing guys, i have never had a guy who actually didn't like the way a jock felt and supported. Some have the balls, so to speak, to start wearing one, others need pushed, others just dont' find the courage to be different.

in the below college level, "an appropriate" undergarment is in the rule book as required, its amazing how many boys know just how stretchy to buy their underwear and as soon as they weigh in and go through skin check, they know how to take off their underwear without taking off their singlet.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
because more and more guys are forced into compression shorts as the only underwear option, more and more are optint to try to get away with going cammando.
The average wrestler picks a singlet 2 sizes below what is rated for his weight. That def add some support. Most have never felt the true support of a jockstrap, in all my time pushing guys, i have never had a guy who actually didn't like the way a jock felt and supported. Some have the balls, so to speak, to start wearing one, others need pushed, others just dont' find the courage to be different.

in the below college level, "an appropriate" undergarment is in the rule book as required, its amazing how many boys know just how stretchy to buy their underwear and as soon as they weigh in and go through skin check, they know how to take off their underwear without taking off their singlet.
This is very interesting to me. You seem to know a lot about the wrestling world.
The ONLY thing about compression shorts that I see as an advantage is if your hamstring needs extra warmth and support. Otherwise, they're hopeless as ball supporters. I have sometimes worn a jock and comp shorts to avoid tweaking a tricky thigh muscles, but I think they're mostly lame. I'm also amazed at how often the wrestlers' hands come in contact with their opponents' nuts and yet how just doesn't seem to be a problem. I noticed at the match on Sat that any genital-hand contacts was instantly adjusted so as not to do something illegal or unethical.

wildcat16

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This is very interesting to me. You seem to know a lot about the wrestling world.
The ONLY thing about compression shorts that I see as an advantage is if your hamstring needs extra warmth and support. Otherwise, they're hopeless as ball supporters. I have sometimes worn a jock and comp shorts to avoid tweaking a tricky thigh muscles, but I think they're mostly lame. I'm also amazed at how often the wrestlers' hands come in contact with their opponents' nuts and yet how just doesn't seem to be a problem. I noticed at the match on Sat that any genital-hand contacts was instantly adjusted so as not to do something illegal or unethical.
Compression is great for muscle groups sometimes. I wore a tight shirt that come past my biceps when i was playing football, everyone just wanted a tight underArmour shirt to look cool, but the seam or hem on most of them stop mid bicep, so you have to pull it up to keep it off the bicep otherwise constrick blood flow to the muscles and the arms, hems and seems don't give the way compression fabric do.

Same with shorts, if you need warmth or compression for hammy's or glures for some reason, they can have an advantage, they need to make them compression in the thighs and loose in the crotch and sell a jockstrap with it for baselayer.

Honestly, true compression shorts are becoming less and less common, plenty of poly spandex underwear out there, some with more roomy crotch. But anything with a leg component to it will tug at the associated crotch panel and pull it out of place, bad enough if its your support, if it happens to be holding your cup in place, it can get dangerous. No serious cup sport athlete should put their cup on the pockets of those shorts. Maybe a few styles with the leg straps sew into the fabric would be ok if you are like in a certain position, such as an outfielder in baseball. And yes, outfielders run a risk of groin injury too

When wearing a cup, i do like either tights or compression shorts over my cup and jock as a secondary restraint to keep the cup in position.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting and thoughtful. I totally agree that no thoughtful guy would put a cup in comp shorts pockets. They simply don't press the cup against the pelvic area, which is the whole point; it's supposed to encase your balls and not leave space for any sac skin to get pinched. The only comp short exception I ever saw was a Shock Doc comp short with cup pocket,... BUT, the designer had bothered to use two small (1.5-2") elastic straps, just like a jockstraps, and had affixed them to the base of the cup pocket. The elastic essentially pulled the cup pocket (and hence the cup) BACK to make it fit snugly against the thighs and groin, hence making the cup flush with the skin (thru the material) and providing real protection. I thought that very intelligent design. That comp shorts didn't last all that long, but it was a good solution.
Now, I wear a sports brief (and old CK from years ago, still good shape) and a regular (not cup) jockstrap over it. I slide the cup in between and its tightness keeps the jock in place certainly as well as a cup strap. Sometimes I reverse the positions: jock against my balls and brief holding the cup.

Scrotumlicker2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America (the)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As I said earlier in a similar thread I grew up wearing white briefs and I really prefer them even though I own and wear other styles and colors. I really like low-rise undies with a fly-front so I can pull my dick out the front when I bate at home. (Around other baters , of course, I wind up naked for sure.)
The main pic in my profile is a pair like I describe and here's a shot of THE SAME pair as I like to wear when I bate.

Attachments

Reactions: Rustyridge and Ggz