In your life experience...does the cream always rise to the top?

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Sometimes it's cream.....sometime it's scum.... I guess it depend on your perspective.

Although in my opinion, the best and most talented are best utilized not as leaders, but as advisors to the leaders.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's been my experience that those that lie, cheat, steal, use and stab you in the back get to the top or at least get there alot faster.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The world would be a better place if the cream DID rise to the top but unfortunately judging from my past bosses this certainly isn't the case.

Those that can fool the rest with spin, connections, chicanery and charm and have other talented people do the actual work usually get the top spots. Perception is more important than what your actual talent in many menial jobs and professions. Also never underestimate to power of being liked in life.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sometimes I've seen the cream rise to the top and other times I've seen the scum (or the untalented) rise to the top. By the top I mean the top. (not the middle) I was having a conversation with someone recently and we concluded that you can sleep your way (or claw your way) to the middle but to actually make it to the top you need need talent and/or brains.
You can also get there without talent or brains if you have the right connections.

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In terms of positions of power, there's no correlation at all. Just look at pretty much any government on the planet. Almost without exception there will be a level of corruption and inadequacy.

In terms of ability, generally it does, I think. The most skillful will almost always be the most revered.

In terms of popularity? It varies. Too many people are swayed by superficial facets of a personality, but I tend to find that dickheads who are popular are eventually just seen as dickheads. Sadly not always true, but still.

Last edited:

Remington

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not always.

From what I've seen, it's more of who you know, instead of what you know, sadly.

Even if a person's completely talentless, they could still go very far by having the right connections.

If you want proof of that, look at the current music industry.

No. Those who are practical, have common sense and are able to deal with everyday life are most likely to do well.

Only if they know how to make the best use of their gifts and talents. Not everyone does.
This.