Independence Day

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by nakedwally, Jul 4, 2007.

1. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    Happy fourth of July and heres a song for you all!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nYENO6r5vVo

Independence Day by Martina McBride
    Well she seemed all right by dawn’s early light though she looked a little
    Worried and weak she tried to pretend he wasn’t drinkin’ aagain but daddy left
    The proof on her cheek and I was only eight years old that summer and I always
    Seemed to be in the way so I took myself down to the fair in town on
    Independence day

Well word gets a round in a small, small town they said he was a dangerous man
    But mama was proud and she stood her ground she knew she was on the losin’ end
    Some folks whispered some folks talked but everybody looked the other way and
    When time ran out there was no one about on indpendence day

Chours: let freedom ring, let the white dove sing let the whole world know that
    Today is a day of reckoning let the weak be strong, let the right be wrong roll
    The stone away, let the guilty pay, it’s independence day

Well she lit up the sky that fourth of july by the time the firemen come they
    Just put out the flames and took down some names and send me to the county home
    Now I ain’t sayin’ it’s right or it’s wrong but maybe it’s the only way talk
    About your revolution it’s indepenednce day

Repeat chorous

Roll the stone away it’s independence day

2. agnslz

Gold Member

Happy Independence Day, Wally. And thanks for the song!

3. rimmer9

Gold Member

Albums:
    Happy 4th July from the UK. It's good to see your children grow!!

4. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well It's about that time of year again, so happy fourth of July and independence day. I won't be around for the next couple of days so doing all my happy fourths tonight.

Attached Files:

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

On June 7th, 1776, Richard Henry Lee, a delegate of the Continental Congress for Virginia made a speech to his fellow delegates of making America a completely free nation from Great Britain. Though many of the delegates present were approving of those words, they did not feel that it was necessary to take such exorbitant actions. Mainly because to vote for a break with England would be considered an act of treason which at the time, was punishable by death. So, they put Lee's proposal on the table for further study.

Throughout the rest of the month tensions rose between the fledgling nation and Britain causing all of the delegates to alter their 1st decision when congress met once again on July 2nd. On that faithful day, all of the delegates voted for the break with England, prompting that the declaration be written. After the vote was taken, John Adams wrote back home to his wife, Abigail, of the event.

The Second of July, 1776 will be the most memorable in the history of America. I am apt to believe it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the Great Anniversary Celebration.

2 days later on July 4th only a few things happened, one actually, being quite funny. The real reason Congress met on July 4th was to approve the wording of the declaration. Some didn't like the way a sentence was structured others the way the name of the new country was used. So, none the less, they were whining over things of little importance. This heated debate seemed to continue to no end, that is, until a swarm of horseflies from a nearby farm came flying through the windows that were open due to the warm weather. While swatting at the flies, one delegate rose and said that Jefferson's declaration was suitable to him, which many second, causing a motion of approval that was speedily approved of. Soon afterward the founding fathers ran out of the Hall swatting at the horseflies.

So there you go, just a little history tidbit for you. So maybe we should celebrate Independence day on July 2nd, and celebrate the Horsefly on July 4th that helped keep one of the greatest documents in history the way it was and not a load of political blather.

Good old John Adams.

Happy Birthday my Dandy friends.

6. montanaguy

montanaguy New Member

I know it's almost over now, but a belated "HAPPY CANADA DAY!" for our neighbors to the north, since July 1st, is the 141st anniversary of the confederation of Canada in 1867. :)

7. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Happy 4th July everyone. Have fun and be safe.

Draft saved Draft deleted