Inetrsteinig

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: Just an e-mail message I got from a friend recently...

---

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

This is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the word as a wlohe.

Fcuknig amzanig huh?

---

Quite clever I thought. I was suprised that I could read it just as quickly as perfectly written text.

Two questions, though - if there are any dyslexic people here, do you understand it, or do you just think I've written a complete bunch of garbage  :)

Secondly, does it also work if english isn't your first language (I dunno, you may have to look at a word more closely).

Hmm, the human brain - so complicated it's amazing it still works!  :)

Any other good e-mail jokes/comments abound recently?

2. Imported

Gold Member

throb919: LTH--it's more amazing than you even think. I read the sentence and recognized that "iprmoetnt" was a typo. It should be "iprmoatnt"! Too, too weird.

3. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: That's what you get just copy-pasting what your mates send you without good QC...

4. Imported

Gold Member

SimplyHung: Holy crap! It's following me.
    I've already seen this about a dozen times (little exaggeration, if any) on another message board.

5. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: Yes, but it's vrey cool to say the laest.

Mdae me thnik

6. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

That reminds me about the dyslexic couple that lives next door to me. They were having sexual problems. Their analyst finally learned they were doing the 96.

Pecker

(If sex is a pain in the ass then you're doing it wrong.)

7. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: I think the report oversimplifies things a little.

An educated guess, admittedly, but I think it's more complicated than just having the first and last letters in the right place. I'm guessing any of the following will interfere with the pattern recognition skills that allow us to read scrambled words:

• The scrambled word is unfamiliar or technical in nature.
    • The word is scrambled to resemble a different word.
    • The scrambled word -- even if familiar -- is used out of context.

I suspect that people who found the Cmabrigde Uinervtisy report easy to read might have more difficulty with the following:

The tercymanor was so mveod by the skapeer on neerhation melodus taht he rsoe to his feet, buntoted his jurpdohs, and emexiclad, "Sepudonuts!"

8. Imported

Gold Member

chipster: Teaser for the late news:

"Cure found for Dyslexia! Flim at Eleven"

:-/

9. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Read that without a problem. I'm a genius!!!!

10. Ralexx

Ralexx Member

Damn "inetrsteinig" :eek: ! I could read the text (and understand it ;D) without problems.
    I noticed that it's far easier to read such a text than a text where the letters are (let's say) "traditionally" arranged and some typing mistakes appear.

11. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: [quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#5 date=09/17/03 at 14:22:52]That reminds me about the dyslexic couple that lives next door to me. They were having sexual problems. Their analyst finally learned they were doing the 96.

Pecker

(If sex is a pain in the ass then you're doing it wrong.)[/quote]

:D :D :D :D :D :D Oh man Pecker, you are one friggin funny guy man, thnaks

That was very good Longtimelurker, I was amazed at how I was also able to read it with no problem. Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing that with us.

12. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: [quote author=mindseye link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#6 date=09/17/03 at 19:59:51]
    The tercymanor was so mveod by the skapeer on neerhation melodus taht he rsoe to his feet, buntoted his jurpdohs, and emexiclad, "Sepudonuts!"[/quote]

Mmmmmm . . . sepudonuts.

13. Imported

Gold Member

gigantikok: [quote author=mindseye link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#6 date=09/17/03 at 19:59:51]The tercymanor was so mveod by the skapeer on neerhation melodus taht he rsoe to his feet, buntoted his jurpdohs, and emexiclad, "Sepudonuts!"[/quote]
    And I'd sure like to get a pair of these jurpdohs, they're all the rage...

14. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: [quote author=Monstro link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#11 date=09/18/03 at 06:54:33]

Mmmmmm . . . sepudonuts.
    [/quote]

LMAO!

15. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: [quote author=mindseye link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#6 date=09/17/03 at 19:59:51]
    • The scrambled word is unfamiliar or technical in nature.
    • The word is scrambled to resemble a different word.
    • The scrambled word -- even if familiar -- is used out of context.
    [/quote]

Well that is being a bit unfair - spoilsport  :)!!!

I think the idea behind it is that the brain only picks up the gist of the sentence and pre-empts what will follow, only double-taking if it's something weird. I'd imagine that if there really is some rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy (and in a country where they research the best biscuit-dunking angle, there probably is!) then it would go a lot more in-depth into areas which do or don't work.

So for the first point an unfamiliar word would probably cause you to slow down reading anyway, just to ensure that you have the right context (I saw another report on this how children and adults read differently - children focus on each letter of an unfamiliar word, whereas adults just look at the sentence and assign a meaning that 'fits').

I'll say the second is probably very true, unless the brain turns into 'scramble mode' when reading, whereupon it's not looking at the words anyway.

As for the third, if the word is used out-of-context it destroys the entire point! The idea of being able to scan-read will be based that you expect whats coming next. I believe its a similar thing with eyesight (the eyes only see so much and the brain 'makes up' the rest), which is why a lot of optical illusions work.

I think you've made a lasting impression on some people here with your sepudonuts, though! <looking sideways at gigantikok's new sig>  :)

16. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

It's odd how we train our brain to work.

Typists are trained to push one key at a time, concentrating on letter-by-letter, until a word is formed.

With practice, though, the fastest typists will find that they can simply think of the word and have no trouble typing it correctly.  Of course it helps to be a good speller, too.

I'm capable of a sustained speed of 110 wpm but I will slow down on a sepudonuts word.

Pecker

(Give me ambiguity or give me something else.)

17. Imported

Gold Member

mindseye: [quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#15 date=09/20/03 at 11:12:02]
    With practice, though, the fastest typists will find that they can simply think of the word and have no trouble typing it correctly.
    [/quote]

And tnakhs to the knid floks at Cmbagdrie, I can now tpye eevn faetsr!

18. Imported

Gold Member

9cyclops9: [quote author=Pecker link=board=99;num=1063826796;start=0#15 date=09/20/03 at 11:12:02]

(Give me ambiguity or give me something else.)

[/quote]

:D :D :DAAAHHH!!! That was great! I laughed out loud sitting in my dorm room. My roommates asked me what I was laughing about, but I didn't want to tell them I was looking at a site for men with large penises. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted