Info on Chicago

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Lightkeeper, Jan 16, 2007.

1. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

Just wondering if the YMCA Hotel on South Wabash is still there or torn down? I lived there for awhile and had some hot action.
    Had I been more experienced then, I'm sure I would have had even more.

2. dannymawg

Gold Member

3. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I don't think that is the one. Seems like this location was 223 South Wabash or something like that and was a much bigger building. Since it was a hotel, men and women both could live there. It wasn't too far from Buckingham Fountain, Shedd Aquarium and the Museum Of Science And Industry.

4. dannymawg

Gold Member

Based on the 223 S. Wabash address, it might not be there anymore - there's a parking lot there now, and that lot backs up to Orchestra Hall on Michigan Av. I found a docket indicating the parent company of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra took over that parcel in 1994.

For some reason I'm thinking you are thinking of the Pacific Gardens Mission on South State Street, but that is definately not a hotel - it's been a bastion of homeless shelters in town for over a century. Due to gentrification pressure, it is being relocated this year to a new facility - the better to keep the homeless out of sight of yuppies and their $1M+ condos :rolleyes:

Most of South Wabash, like most of the Loop, has had a makeover in the last 10-20 years in Richie Daley's move to make downtown Chicago a more tourist friendly environment (see gentrification comment above) - so a lot of the older buildings with lesser architectural/landmark value on Wabash that contained smaller hotels, jewelers, NYC-style electronics stores, older mom&pop businesses, etc. have been razed for parking/new construction, or bought by developers and remodeled to attract franchises/corporate tenants. Yuck. Wabash never stood a chance anyway, as it comprises the eastern portion of the Loop L train tracks, and is constantly dark and dingy.

Which reminds me - more detail? Were there tracks outside your front door? How long ago are we talking here?

Lastly - the Museum of Science and Industry is down at 57th and LSD. You might be thinking of the Field Museum, which is more in line with the landmarks you cited.

5. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I was wrong on the address. It was around 826 South Wabash. (The tech school I went to may have been 226).
    Anyway, according to a website I found, the Y Hotel was converted around 1988 to the Burnham Plaza theatre/office complex.

I believe the Dearborn railroad station was behind it a couple of blocks away.

Thanks for your info.

Draft saved Draft deleted