Info on Tampa, FL please

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
After 15 years in Central Europe I might be moving back to the US of A. Tampa is one spot I'm considering because it seems I can get into a business there that looks fairly good.

I'm wondering however about quality of life, meeting new people, gay life, etc. If anyone here is from the Tampa area and won't mind commenting, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

tgirlsrgreat

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
wow, big difference from europe, but if the business opportunity is right you can probably make it right. it is pretty laid back with a pretty good nightlife. much more relaxed atmosphere than say on the east coast (like ft. lauderdale) can't really comment on the gay scene except for my particular affiliation, which was pretty good. good luck!!

B_thickjohnny

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yeah. I guess it will be like reverse culture shock, if there's such a thing. I have gotten so use to things here that the US sometimes seems foreign to me. But the opportunities there are better than here at the moment so.....

InkedDudeFLA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Tampa has something for everyone. Depending on what kids of bars you want to go to etc. I like Ybor (straight bars), but there are gay bars all over the place.

Rob_81

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've lived in the Tampa area for about a year. I love it, it's very nice here, not just weather, there's something for everyone. Good night life, good restaurants, lots of things to do. Business is better in surrounding areas like St. Pete or in Brandon, but the overall area is great.

Thirdlegproduction

Formerly WhiteMonst3r
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm considering moving to Florida but my gf keeps mentioning the hurricanes, or flooding due to storms and snakes and alligators who will show up in your yard.

I take it, that the people who do get hurt by hurricanes, are the people who are not prepared for it?

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm considering moving to Florida but my gf keeps mentioning the hurricanes, or flooding due to storms and snakes and alligators who will show up in your yard.

I take it, that the people who do get hurt by hurricanes, are the people who are not prepared for it?

Hurricanes rarely make landfall. Most snakes are harmless. Don't buy a house next to a canal or lake, and don't get out of your car on the stretch of road known as "Alligator Alley", and you'll never see a gator. I live on a lake (have for a year) and have yet to see one. (Our lake is manmade.) When I first moved here, we lived by a canal near the everglades for months and never saw a gator. Gators are not very fast on land, and (as far as I know) cannot launch themselves from he water like a croc', and are not much of a threat unless you disobey the warning signs posted along every canal and lakefront in Miami.

B_rkq21r

Just Browsing
Media
Tampa hasn't gotten directly hit by a hurricane since 1919, and the last real hurricane to affect the area was in 1987. And "Alligator Alley" has some of the nicest natural watching areas in the world. Gator are decievingly fast on land, but if you leave them alone, they won't bother you.

msclgrey

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hurricanes are just one of many forces of nature, no place on earth is without them...

Tampa area is great for things to do and business is doing much better than it was last year. The beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world and lots to do in the water as well.

Let me know if you want more details... Good luck!

Sitronmelde

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Home insurance premiums are too high in Florida - they blame it on hurricanes, but instead it is the lawmakers, who are 'so' beholden to insurance companies. In comparison, as messed up as California is, with more gov workers than factory jobs, forest fires, earthquakes; their home-owners insurance premiums are remarkably low, because of 'healthful' competition.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I haven;t been to Tampa as an adult. I have recently been to St. Pete. It was soooo boring! I found it to be a very pretty city. It was clean. There were lots of interesting galleries, a decent movie theater, abundant parking, and pretty good dining. Other than that, it wasn't my scene at all. I would have no problems visiting again in the future, but I am not sure I could live there. Admittedly, I was there with my husband who had to travel there for work.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
AlteredEgo, you need to come down my way in Florida and I'll show you some gators. Oh, and bring you running shoes, your fastest ones.
Up your way, you mean. I think I might live closer to the everglades than you, Julie. And I don't watch college ball, so I'm not looking to get up to Gainsville either. Thanks for the invite though.

Last edited:

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And "Alligator Alley" has some of the nicest natural watching areas in the world. Gator are decievingly fast on land, but if you leave them alone, they won't bother you.
You can ignore the posted signs on the road if you want to, but I will stick to the Metro Zoo and Jungle Island if I really need to see a 'gator again for myself. PLus, there's no real shoulder for much of the road (to my memory), so You'd have to drive into the towns, and walk across people's property to get back to the water as far as I could tell driving along. I don't really remember, but I'll be on that road tomorrow (going up to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights) and I'll get my memory refreshed.

True enough they can run about as fast as a car, but (supposedly) only in straight lines, and not for very far, and like you suggested, they'd need to be very motivated.