Ingrown hairs?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Imported, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

icecracker: My boyfriend has an ingrown hair on his dick...what can he do to get rid of it?

2. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I hate to tell you this, but it's probably going to hurt.

Ingrown hairs, as you may know, occur when the hair shaft becomes plugged up (whether it's because of excessive oil, persisting skin irritation, or irregular hair growth), thus providing the perfect breeding ground for bacteria to infect the wound with accumulating pus, sebum, etc. The raised red bump, irritation, and pain when touched are signs of inflammation, of course.

I honestly don't know of any more medically "formal" way to deal with ingrown hairs, but have instead relied on this Momma-taught-me trick.

First, and especially if your boyfriend's pain-sensitive, numb the area locally with ice. While you're down there, inspect the ingrown hair. Is the area reddened? Is there a superficial "hole," [blackhead] where the site of the would-be hair seems darkened? Or is the ingrown hair a raised area with a whitish or yellowish head [whitehead/pimple] formed at its peak?

You'll need some tools for your "operation," including:
    • tweezers
    • a few cotton balls
    • hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol
    • a needle
    • paper towels or soft cloths

After numbing the area sufficiently -- I'd give it a few minutes even if he resists and says its too cold -- grab a needle from your sewing kit or tool box. Grasp the needle at its eye while holding the sharp end over an open flame; whether you use a lighter or a gas stove burner, heating up the needle for a sufficient time will sterilize it. Just hold it over the open flame for a couple of moments and be careful not to burn yourself.

"Prime" the ingrown hair site with a couple of gentle squeezes -- not too hard, mind you. You don't want to force the irritation deeper into the skin, but you do want to check to make sure that whatever's obstructing the follicle is geared to come out during extraction.

Use the sterilized needle to poke at the ingrown hair. You want to guide the needle so that it enters the plugged follicle at an angle. Gently run the needle point into the flesh, dig upward (to open up the source of infection) then withdraw the needle. Have a paper towel or soft cloth handy to wipe up traces of pus, oil, or blood. (Yes, he might bleed. It's not a big deal.)

After lancing the wound, squeeze it gently to help extract some more oil or other plugging fluids. Look closely. If an irregular hair's the culprit, squeezing the site will help extract it; then use the tweezers and in a quick picking motion, remove the hair.

Wipe the needle clean with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol and re-sterilize it (or better yet, use another needle). Repeat the earlier process, if necessary.

If the ingrown hair seems persistent, don't worry. Give it a day or two and try again, especially if it bothers him more. And if this trick doesn't work, you know, it couldn't hurt to see a doctor and have him/her take care of it.

With that in mind, what do you think caused the ingrown hair? Ingrown hairs often emerge after shaving -- I know I get a couple every now and then on my neck. To help prevent that problem, always use an astringent or an exfoliant to clear up the skin after shaving. Astringents, since they're made of alcohol, burn a bit, but exfoliants will rid the surface of dead skin cells (often contributors to an ingrown hair).

3. Imported

Gold Member

icecracker: Yowzah!

take a needle down there???

well we took another look at it...it's just kind of a bump right now, not red or irritated or anything. but we can't tell where the hair is.

im guessing he got it from shaving, which he does periodically. maybe just a wee bit too close.

i think he's intent on waiting for a little while...maybe see if it will surface or at least easier to tell where it is.

thanks for the advice tho!

4. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Not a problem.

Yeah, I know the needle sounds a bit intense, but that's a more "sterile" way to treat the ingrown hair instead of squeezing it. (Same reason why we shouldn't squeeze the pimples on our faces -- to prevent skin damage and scars.)

That's good. Yeah, just wait and see what happens for a couple of days, but if the bump starts hurting when he touches it, he should go ahead and lance the thing. If there's a hair clogging up that pore, all you might see is the follicle; sometimes irregularly growing hairs will "curve back" on themselves and grow toward the layers of your skin through the infected pore. So, if you squeeze the bump, a hair just might slowly pop out -- or it might not.

Just treat it accordingly.

5. Imported

Gold Member

Javierdude22: Holy crap dude... :eek:

That hurt just reading it!...i heard it can hurt, and it can also happen on your face from beardgrowth, but damn!...

And ón your dick!? Sweet mother of God do'n't ever pull that shit on me!

...dammit....i'll be waking up screaming again tonight...being chased by bigass ingrown hairs, and me not being able to run away...yep...somebody's sleepin with the light ón tonight..

6. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: Dee: That is an incredibly thorough answer and made for a fascinating read! I found myself thinking you should write a scouting manual or something with such attention to detail. I would have just written, "use a needle, dude!"

Thanks for your efforts...

7. Imported

Gold Member

BIGBOYDAVE: As Dee says wait to see what happens . If it forms into a squeasable pimple then Squees it clear . Then use tweasers to pull out the hair. I don't think you have to worry about a tiny scar on your penis. Anybody looking there is not gonna scream if they see a small scar there. They are probably more concerned with Something Else ! :)

8. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: I get them a lot on my face. Apparently it happens a lot more often in black guys (and probably girls too) - something to do with their hair being curlier. Still, hurts like a bitch.

If you're too scared of the needle, wait for it to become a nasty spot-type thing and then pop it - you will get a pathetic-looking hair come out of it (prob. about 2cm long by that point). I suppose being on the dick it's not such an appearance thing as with your face.

Apparently there is an electric shaver manufacturer that makes razors to help prevent this - I think it's an American company beginning with 'W', as I'd never heard of it before.

9. Imported

Gold Member

GotMeThinkin: Oh gosh, one time I had an ingrown hair that I was concerned about before I knew what it was... It went from a traditional "bump" to almost a sore... that's when I began to worry and made an appointment with the campus health dept for 2 days later.
    Well the next day, while examining the "sore" I noticed a tiny black line under the skin.... so being brave, and VERY careful, I took a sewing needle and gently poked under it and drew upwards.... What I saw still amazes me to this day. This ingrown hair was over an inch long, and instead of curling in one spot, it was growing around the circumference of my junk. Shortly there after I canceled my appt to the Dr... much relieved.
    That's my story.

Draft saved Draft deleted