Insanity, P90X

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by apollo, Dec 31, 2011.

1. apollo

apollo Member

Have any of you guys tried the P90X or Insanity workout programs? I go to the gym almost daily but I feel like I'm kind of in a "slump" with the gym. Makes me feel better when I do workout but I'm not seeing much in the way of results etc.. Just wondered if anyone had used this programs and if they work etc.. I'm skeptical of such things that I see on infomercials!

2. D_Sandy_Krautch

D_Sandy_Krautch New Member

Kinda depends on where you're at physically, what your goals are, and what you're doing already. I've seen P90x and Insanity have fantastic results, but again... it depends on what kind of results you're looking for.

3. srk515

Gold Member

Albums:
    Also, don't forget that your ability to achieve results also depends largely on genetics.

4. camer999

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ It's entirely possible to have a good body by today's standards, regardless of genetics. Genetics really come into play when you are getting closer to the absolute top. P90X worked miracles on me. Then I joined a gym and gained more mass and look better, currently using insanity to cut fat gain from bulking and look better than ever.
    Also, If you are in a slump, look up other routines and make sure you're adding wait every week. Also, is your diet in check?

5. D_Sandy_Krautch

D_Sandy_Krautch New Member

Frankly, your diet has more to do with it than your workouts. I still say that to get very accurate advice you need to be more specific about where you are and what you're looking to accomplish.

Also... adding more weight every week isn't a good idea unless you're solid with what you're already doing. Your form is more important than your numbers. Adding more weight if your form is poor is begging for injuries. Just sayin.

#5 D_Sandy_Krautch, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. camer999

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ I was assuming his form was good.

7. closetfreak

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Insanity and P90X are good because they take the guesswork and lazy attitudes out of some workout routines. Everything is already planned out, you just press play. I've never been one to do the DVD workouts aside from Yoga, but I do know a lot of people that have had success with them. The biggest problem I see is that it doesnt teach you anything about working out. Most of the people that have had good success go right back to where they were 90 days prior once the program is complete and theyve reached their goals. You have to get out of the mindset of 'dieting.' It cant be doing something temporary only to go back to your old habits once you reach your goal. You have to have a lifestyle change in order for it to be lasting.

8. twoton

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've heard good things about P90X, never tried it myself.

There are a lot of free sites online that do basically the same thing, though. I've been following a Crossfit style protocol for a few years now. I highly recommend it. The progress, at least in the first few months, is amazing. Now I use it as a maintenance routine.

If you're interested in building strength, "Starting Strength," by Mark Rippetoe is recommended by many people.

9. cdog204

Gold Member

Albums:
    Both are good programs if followed to the letter. They work because they lay out a simple, very aggressive work out plan coupled with a reasonable diet. I do think that you need to be in reasonable shape for either one of them as they are pretty aggressive.

10. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    P90X is for people who are already in shape.
    It is not for beginners.

I have the P90X program and it is extremely fast paced and made specifically for late intermediate to advanced atheletes that are looking to get completely ripped.

If you have joint/back issues, stay away from this program.

11. OscarM

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The main things are commitment and motivation. You'll have to eat right, do everything in proper form (experienced), and no slacking! Keep in mind that these people in the infomercials have tailored stories, are already "fit", and/or have fallen into the "ideal" category.

Another thing to keep in mind is the space you have at home, and the environment that you have to work in.

My 2 cents!

12. D_Pokin Joe Frazier

D_Pokin Joe Frazier New Member

Look I am a personal trainer and it's not that hard to get in shape it can fit on a post-it note here is the secret EAT less WORKOUT more.

13. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Disagree. My chubby ass completed P90x in 2010, and as a teen I had knee surgery after a sports injury.

It can be done. You might feel like death will certainly occur at some point in the beginning, by phase 2 everything becomes routine - Cardio and Kenpo seem too easy, Plyo kicks your ass a little bit less, and you'll be cranking out the push-ups.

Anyway, I had good results. Go for it!

14. achillesx

achillesx Well-Known Member

Albums:
    It is that simple but most people either:
    1) Lack the motivation
    2) Lack the knowledge
    3) Lack the proper plan

or a combination of the three.

15. B_Bjen2848

B_Bjen2848 New Member

its always good to switch up your workouts every once in a while, these programs aren't bad, just stick to them and make sure you have a good diet, because it doesn't matter how many push ups, jumping jacks and bench presses you do, if you're eating mickey d's and cheeto's all day you're gonna look and feel shitty lol

i've noticed that what i eat directly correlated with how i feel .. shitty food = shitty mood

16. D_JacqueMiHoff

D_JacqueMiHoff New Member

^This

17. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    My post is just to express caution to those that have permanent damage to their back. Once your disks are gone - theyre gone. Anything that irritates them can cause more damage.

Sure, it can be done, but in my opinion, it shouldn't be a starting point for someone that has back issues. Strenghten the back up first, THEN go for P90.

Glad that it worked for you.

18. achillesx

achillesx Well-Known Member

Albums:
    LOL Wut? p90x is a joke for "advanced" athletes. When I was bored last summer I tried the plyo x on my off day...

If you're unfamiliar with training and lack conditioning, I would reccomend probably a 2-4 week remedial/prep phase, depending on what/where your issues are.

I agree, if you're jacked up, get help for it with someone who knows what's going on. Physical therapy or a good personal trainer. Although the later is hard to judge and probably not working at your local gym.

#18 achillesx, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  19. redz_rule

Gold Member

Infinitely THIS ^^^^^

Food is so important to weight loss and health.

20. Thirdlegproduction

Thirdlegproduction Formerly WhiteMonst3r
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I think following any program for 90 days will show improvements.

Not sure if p90x is actually all that special, we had pilates, yoga and tae bo before p90x.

Draft saved Draft deleted