Inside The Restaurant Business

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
May I suggest the following excellent reads on these subjects if you haven't already:

• Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
  • Nickled and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
  • Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
  • Waiting by Debra Ginsberg

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Check out : www.foodsafety.gov

They have some great information on food preparation and food safety issues. I have the local government send me via email the food safety and general food and health inspection ratings of ever restaurant I eat at in Asheville. I read the RED gradings what they were cited for and suggestions for improvement. Then I check the next report to see if they followed through.

Food safety and safe preparation guidelines should be equally followed at home as well. You REALLY don't want your family to get sick eating your food you've cooked all because you may not have washed your hands after using the restroom...or cross contaminated a dish by touching cooked meats with raw meat and animal blood. Or even improperly stored raw meats. Etcetera.

rubberwilli

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I really wish more cities used the inspection grading system that they use in Los Angeles County.

Restaurants are required to post their inspection grade in the window. It's a big honking card that says "A" "B" "C"

I don't think I ever dined in anything less than a "B", just the thought of a "C" creeped me out. Less than a "C" and I think they got closed. It's a great way to encourage restaurants to keep things clean. I'm sure it has it's flaws but it made me feel better at least.