Insomnia

bigbulgelicker45

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This may not be the right forum to put this in, but a lot of people do pass through here so maybe someone can give me some tips.

It's been over a year since my insomnia has gotten really bad. I can take otc sleeping pills at 4 in the afternoon and still be wide awake 12+ hours. Within the last few months I'm usually falling asleep around 7:30 in the morning and sleeping until 11 or 12 which by then I've wasted a day since I'm so tired.

Luckily, I'm not in a relationship as it would take a toll on it and I am jealous of people who are getting sleep!

Two years ago I quit my job voluntarily (it was take a buyout or risk being laid off with nothing) and at the time it was good. I had a good severance package based on my years of service but had problems getting unemployment. Since the motion picture business was coming to Michigan I landed a couple of "extra" roles in a few films and but not enough work (due to what I call the friends and family plan).

Now that we have a Republican in office, he's basically gotten rid of the industry which many people are fighting to get a day's work (to date I've only worked five days this year). Others are working and I think that's adding to my stress, along with having to go into my 401 in order to survive. I can't get a part time job anywhere, let along a full time job.

Anyway, the problem I have is once I go to bed I can't shut my mind off. No matter what I do I just keep thinking about things or sometimes those dreaded songs keep playing over and over.

Last week I had my annual physical and everything is fine but I'm completely stressed out. My doctor gave me a prescription for Ambien and it worked the first night. Second night (and after) I'd take one early and still be up all night.

On Saturday I did have a massage and one of my friends gave me a Seroquel and said it would turn my mind off. I was sleeping before I hit the pillow.

Masturbating, having a snack or reading doesn't help either.

Any suggestions??? Right now I'm so zombied out that I'm going to clean house and then by noon hit the bar so that I can have a couple of drinks to possibly get me some sleep.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i'm so used to barely sleeping that it just doesn't bother me.

honestly? i got nothin'!
working out, meds, relaxation, etc, etc, etc.
none of that shit works for me.

You sound like, and have described yourself as a creative person, not having employment at the moment does not allow you that release. When you say "others are working and I think thats adding to my stress" you seem to be heaping some guilt on yourself unnecessarily because it's difficult finding work at the moment.

Try talking to someone about what is going through your mind and not allowing your mind to rest. Maybe spend sometime doing volunteer work, you may be able from there meet someone that will lead to paid employment. Feeling positive about yourself leads to positive things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't think there is a magic solution.

Something to try (if you haven't already) when you can't get to sleep is to get really cold. Cool or cold shower, or if the weather is cold just step outside for a while. Put your pillow in the fridge. Make sure your bedroom is on the cool side.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I tend to side with elrond. Short of going to a sleep clinic, it sounds like you've tried everything else. Maybe drop all the chemicals from your system and just wear your body the fuck out.

Also, this may sound like a basic question, but are you drinking coffee? I've known a lot of insomniacs who have caffeine problems. Some say they don't drink it after dinner, but will have two or three litres through the day, while others say they don't drink much but have one at 9PM. One of my friends just denied drinking a lot, but when we counted it out on paper she was having a venti (or whatever "large" is at Starbucks) latte with breakfast, another before lunch, one or two more to get her through the afternoon, and then another with dinner.

Last edited:

Endued

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Try to get into a routine. Awake at 8, asleep at 11 or whatever your body needs.

Avoid tea and coffee after late afternoon. Even with a tea it stays in your system for hours.

Try to get some exercise not much less than about 3 hours before bed. It helps to naturally tire the body out and prepare for rest.

Try to avoid being fully awake and active in your sleeping area as much as possible, only go in there to sleep and have sexy times. Your brain should start to associate it with sleep alone.

Don't drink to cure insomnia!!! Drink can get you to sleep, no one's denying that, but it can cause the body to not get into the periods of deep sleep, which is when the main recharging is done. How much of a difference it can make, I don't know, but still.

But the main thing it sounds like though is worry. At some point in the evening before bed, sit down and make a list of things you need to do or things that concern you. Like job, relationship, health whatever. Just make a little plan of what to do for each, doesn't need to be detailed, even if it's just 'book dentist' or 'think of gift for XXX's birthday' or whatever, you might be surprised at how much weight you can take off you mind just by having a plan of action for your concerns. In addition to this, is the place tidy? Clearing the place up can help clear up your mind.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry to say it and dont mean to offend
Sounds like you have much more than a Insomnia problem.

Suggest you Stop and Review your life on the many other things that appear to be troubling you, then perhaps the sleeping will sort itself out in a natural way

Harsh and maybe cruel, but perhaps worth considering
enz

rough_neck_9_1

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
First thing to consider is sleep deprivation is only worth worrying about if it affects your daily life. The set number of eight hours is entirely arbitrary, and in fact is commonly debated in medical practice as healthy in the first place.

So word to the wise, if your body is sustainable on a low amount of sleep; I wouldn't worry about it. Your internal clock will keep you right and proper more so then a designated number of sleeping hours.

The other thing that comes to mind, is that if you're actively trying to sleep and its just not coming you need to break your immediate habit. What I mean is more often then not its your brain that running a marathon as appose to your body when it comes to insomnia, in the short version its in a sort of closed circuit feedback loop (be is motivated be stress, imagination, memory etc). The thing you need to do is beak that brain pattern one way or another, staying in bed and flipping around of having a quick TV session isn't going to help much. The goal is to get up and do some other shit you were not previously thinking about. If you're stressing about work, get up, walk around for a minute or two, play a game of something (computer, card whatever). Drink something or eat something. Again the idea is just to break your head out of that sleepless pattern. Give it ten or so minutes and it aught to break your head out of th closed belt funk.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i've tried all that stuff.
i work hard, i work out, i go to bed at the right time after the right routines.
i've found that as long as i make myself switch off & rest properly for seven hours a night, even if i only sleep for three, i'm fresh as a daisy.
have you tried relaxation/meditation as a supplement to your insufficient sleep?

Brick7

Expert Member
Media
The dark conservative heart of Central California
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
have you tried relaxation/meditation as a supplement to your insufficient sleep?
I was going to suggest breathing exercises/meditation, too. Learning meditation will help you to shut your brain off. The breathing exercises that come with meditation will help you when you go to bed and try to fall to sleep.

Daisy

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think that insomnia is one of those things that everyone has tips for but sometimes absolutely nothing works. I think you have to start at the beginning with medical testing. That could be a real issue if you're not working and don't have insurance (?)
If you do have insurance, you should do a sleep study, get full labs for hormones, thyroid, and vitamins/minerals.
Once you rule out a physical problem the obvious thing that you need to examine is your life/situation. Stress can most definitely affect sleep.
Lastly I'd suggest you look into an antidepressant. It drives me crazy when doctors throw out Ambien as some sort of "fix". You need to get to the root of the problem and get away from the band aid drugs. As you know they don't work for long anyway.
I speak from experience. You can make it better at least, if not cure the problem.

House21

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I feel your pain. I got pretty severe insomnia my senior year of high school and never really got over it. Instead of finding ways to get to sleep, I adjusted my personal schedule to accommodate the fact that I wouldn't be sleeping anyway. In college I stayed up late studying (at first) which turned into staying up late drinking. I wound up getting a job at a pizza place that was open until 3am so I could get home around 5am and finally get some sleep. Long story short, I've graduated, got a full time job, family and what not, but I still sleep 3-4 hours a night.

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. Just know that you're not the only one going through it and there are people our there to talk to if you need it.

bigbulgelicker45

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for all of your advice! As vibrationzzz pointed out, yes I'm a very creative person and I think that's where the root of the problem lies. The ideas seem to start flowing at night.

I'm not a coffee or tea drinker so I know that's not the problem and I recently had my annual physical and am fine. Over the last year I've been trying to produce my first movie and I think the stress I've experienced from that has added to my sleepless nights (cast/crew issues which delay filming etc.) plus I tend to be everyone's "go to person" when they have a problem and need advice. On the other hand when I need their help they don't have the time.

As far as the Republican statement, in 2008 in an effort to bring jobs to Michigan, our then Gov. (a Democrat) lured Hollywood here and many people were able to find employment after they had been laid off. The current one has basically destroyed that industry and will eliminate it by 2013 (along with a lot of other issues).

I also think that while looking for a new job it's stressful since I'm qualified for a lot of open positions but no one wants to hire me which adds to those sleepless nights. It's been two years of pretty much "soul searching" and deciding what I'd like to do with the remainder of my life. I know I have to work for the next 20 years but want to do something I enjoy doing (I know good luck with that) but I'm still trying to look at all things positive.