Insomnia

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by aninnymouse, Feb 7, 2012.

1. aninnymouse

Gold Member

Who else here suffers from insomnia?

If so, what do you use to combat it?

Me, I've had scripts for Xanax, Ambien, and even some prescription Blood Pressure meds that make me drowsy. However, I'm without insurance, so....

Over the counter Benadryl doesn't work that well for me. Melatonin is OK, but really doesn't do the job, especially when I'm stressing.

I've found Celestial Seasonings "Tension Tamer" herbal tea makes me drowsy, but it doesn't stick, meaning two hours later, I'm wide awake.

I've also made a sort of "Tea" of 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 cup boiling water. Makes me drowsy, but doesn't always stick. See Tension Tamer.

Another thing that works surprisingly well, although I don't know if it was a combo, placebo effect or what, would be little cones of Piloncillo, which is Mexican brown sugar. Something about it would enhance the effects of any of my sleeping pills.

Yeah, booze works, but....it tends to rack out my stomach.

So, including medications, what are some things that you use to help combat insomnia?

Inquiring minds want to know...

2. D_Sal_A_Mander

D_Sal_A_Mander Account Disabled

marijuana

3. dude_007

Gold Member

Warm milk works

You might give trazodone a try if you can get a prescription. It is inexpensive as a generic.

4. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    this.
    and Valerian root extract when weed's not enough.

5. D_Sal_A_Mander

D_Sal_A_Mander Account Disabled

good call, valerian roots good too especially in drinks with a lil bit of honey. not sure if it'd last all night though

6. bimetaldude

bimetaldude Member

Albums:
    yes. weed and i take 1 melatonin before bed.

7. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I'm so desperate for sleep I'd be tempted to hire a doctor to give me Propofol every night. Not really, since we know how that went for Michael Jackson. But I understand his desperation levels to go to that point.

I've done the Ambien for years. Tamazepam, Benadryl, Flexeril, Alcohol, Marijuana. Blood pressure meds like you have (still on those) and any combo of the above. Just not all at once. I didn't like the nightmares melatonin gave me.

I think it's a brain thing. I seem to be on 36 hour circadian rhythms my entire life.

8. aninnymouse

Gold Member

If only. I'm job hunting, and the fact that MJ is illegal, and stays in your system for about a month afterward is a bit of a deal killer. I know the job market sucks right now, but still, I don't wanna get written off for being a druggie.

I WILL have to try the valerian. With all of the above. The melatonin, the ACV, and possibly the Benadryl.

When I can get to the doctor, I'll see about Trazadone. I've heard of it, and that it works well, and has a low abuse potential.

I've also tried 5HTP, but it didn't seem to work well, made me nauseous.

ITA about the whole Brain-Thing. I've had horrific sleep disturbances ever since I was a child. I can remember being 5 years old, and multiple nights not being able to sleep.

I don't like taking all the meds, but when you get so desperate for a decent nights sleep, sometimes, you do whatever you can/have to.

9. dude_007

Gold Member

Yes, trazodone has a very low potential for abuse. Many people who have anxiety-related insomnia do well with one tablet at bedtime. In higher doses it has antidepressant effects, but is usually used in conjunction with a second antidepressant.

10. tamati

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If pots illegal, move to where it isn't...and enjoy a good nights sleep.

11. trunksisba

trunksisba New Member

Albums:
    I couldn't tell you how to help get sleep without the help of drugs, I'm on two different kids of BP meds and an anti-rejection med makes me sleepy, but then another one of the drugs I'm on makes it hard for me to fall asleep. I suggest tea and reading. That's all i got.

12. Brick7

Brick7 Active Member

Albums:
    The dark conservative heart of Central California
    Masturbation is a good sedative to some. :cool:
    Regarding the meds you're all taking...has anyone seen a therapist/counselor? Sometimes the insomnia can be caused by pyschological problems as opposed to physiological problems. Just a thought...

13. trunksisba

trunksisba New Member

Albums:
    Mine is caused my drugs, though I do have some psychological problems, sure as hell am not going to a therapist. Thanks of the concern :smile:

14. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

Melatonin works for me. I take one 3mg, pill and it works fine, It says you can take up to 4. I had trouble more with staying up at night and sleeping during the day, the Melatonin was the only thing that helped me get back to sleeping at night and waking in the morning.

Melatonin is a chemical that the brain produces to regulate your sleep cycle if you mess it up it's best to take these supplements. I don't even need to use it every night. Just this week I ordered some from Walmart.com and had it shipped to my father to see if it can help him sleep better at night.

#14 Mem, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  15. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

malt liquor

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I usually sleep quite well. I can't sleep on a flight and have tried Ambien but it just makes me rest rather than sleep. Once going to Japan I (Don't try this) mixed Ambien, Valium and Grand Marnier... I slept like a baby for the whole flight but was so groggy at landing it was not worth it.

I sometimes have trouble sleeping when I travel back and forth from Hawaii to the mainland or across the international date line; a swig of NyQuil usually puts me to sleep without the pesky side effects the next morning.

17. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    of an age where i can sleep awake, sleep awake .. cup a tea, sleep whatever
    (as i usually have no power, by choice) i sleep soundly from about 7-11pm Winter, 9p-1a Summer, on average
    have no guilt? nor worries re it all,
    think that may be a persons biggest bugbear .... that i 'have not had enuf sleep',
    sure was mine when younger..
    NO Sleeping during the day, self imposed law

OP, no recommendations sorry, guess its a matter of finding the right combination of tabs/unfortunately, but i do believe it is fair enuf to have such medication assistance.
    Taking yrself off em when appropriate

18. Fuzzy_

Gold Member

Melatonin is amazing. It helps regulate your sleep cycle
    Booze works great on a full stomach.
    20 deep breaths on your back work wonders.

Fuzzy used to have problems sleeping and would often be awake all night. The problem was worrying about getting sleep. Fuzzy put so much pressure on himself to sleep that it kept him awake. Fuzzy learned to just let things happen naturally: if you can't sleep, don't try. Get out of bed, do something that's not too exciting, but not too boring (just interesting enough to keep you from worrying). The worst thing you can do is stay in bed and worry.

Weed doesn't work for Fuzzy. It makes Fuzzy nervous.

19. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    Alcohol keeps me awake, so that's not a solution.

First I used antihistamines, though they have the disadvantage of causing drowsiness during the following day and make it especially difficult to wake up in the morning if you take them after waking up in the middle of the night. Then I started to take lorazepam instead, about twice a week on average. But after a while I developed a reaction to it which I won't attempt to describe here beyond saying that it is absolutely terrifying. I moved on to Ambien. After a while, I had the same reaction to it. So strike that medication and all of that family from the list. I confined myself to antihistamines again. Then, to my great and unpleasant surprise, my old nemesis of Terrifying Reaction occurred one day after I had taken an antihistamine the previous night. So I now I don't dare to take any sleeping medication.

When I first tried melatonin, it made it more difficult to sleep, not easier. I cut the 3-mg pill in half and found the effect less troubling. I cut the halves in half and they seemed to work the best: not as sedative as the drugs but without putting me in a state of nervous tension throughout the night. Lately I seem to be feeling the effects less strongly and have moved the dose up to 1/2 of a 3-mg tablet. (I could not find tablets in a smaller dosage.)

Mostly, though, I have worked on my getting-to-sleep skills, to the extent that I can. I keep very regular hours. If I find that I am awake after 30 minutes in bed, I ask myself whether I am really in a frame of mind to get to sleep or not. If I keep thinking about things, then probably I need to get out of bed and either do some focused thinking or distract myself with some reading and then return to bed to try again.

Waking up in the middle of the night is the worst. Often I find my thoughts in a whirl, whether in consequence of the dream that I was having or because of waking concerns that I went to bed with. In such cases it is usually impossible for me to get back to sleep. But if I get up to clear my head, then I lose whatever residual drowsiness I had going for me, which also makes getting back to sleep nearly impossible. Sometimes I am able to keep my thoughts in an undirected blur and return to sleep. But it's just a matter of luck if I am able to do that.

20. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I wish I had the answer. I might fall asleep but I wake up constantly. I have never been able to take antihistamines and Nyquil makes me edgy as hell. I typically sleep probably 4-5 hours of broken sleep. I never have tried script drugs don't want to get dependent oh them, a fear I have.
    I just deal with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted