Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Melatonin is amazing. It helps regulate your sleep cycle
Booze works great on a full stomach.
20 deep breaths on your back work wonders.

Fuzzy used to have problems sleeping and would often be awake all night. The problem was worrying about getting sleep. Fuzzy put so much pressure on himself to sleep that it kept him awake. Fuzzy learned to just let things happen naturally: if you can't sleep, don't try. Get out of bed, do something that's not too exciting, but not too boring (just interesting enough to keep you from worrying). The worst thing you can do is stay in bed and worry.

Weed doesn't work for Fuzzy. It makes Fuzzy nervous.

Same for me. Except, if I did weed, I'd lose my job and then I wouldn't be able to pay rent and then I'd have to live on the street and then I wouldn't be able to sleep because it's hard to sleep when you have to keep an eye on your shopping cart all night.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The mention several times of the use of anti-histamines to aid sleep intrigues me,
as in NZ really only used for Hay fever, i think.
I use them sparingly for this, certainly does its job in drying out the nasal passage.
Now they have virtually taken the 'may cause drowsiness' ones off the market., replacing them with the non sedative versions
Guess the USA have an entirely different make up to that drug?
Also Benadryl is a cough mixture in NZ ha, guess it would pay not to get these trade names all fckd up when taking all this shit.
(can imagine naughty parents slipping a noisy child some Benadryl, with safety)

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The mention several times of the use of anti-histamines to aid sleep intrigues me,
as in NZ really only used for Hay fever, i think.
I use them sparingly for this, certainly does its job in drying out the nasal passage.
Now they have virtually taken the 'may cause drowsiness' ones off the market., replacing them with the non sedative versions
Guess the USA have an entirely different make up to that drug?
Also Benadryl is a cough mixture in NZ ha, guess it would pay not to get these trade names all fckd up when taking all this shit.
(can imagine naughty parents slipping a noisy child some Benadryl, with safety)

Yeah, well here in the States, the over the counter sleep aids like Nytol, Sominex, Unisom, and the like, are all either Benadryl (Dyphenhydramine), or the Antihistamine in Nyquil (Doxyalimine Succinate).

There are a few antihistamines that are now over the counter that are non drowsy, like Claritin (Loratidine), Allegra(Fexofenadine) or Zyrtec (Citirizine). Zyrtec is interesting, as it's a metabolite of Hydroxizine, also known as Vistaril. However, it doesn't cause drowsiness.

Any of the really good stuff is either by prescription only, or a controlled substance.

Most of it, except for Benzos are very expensive, like $50-60 for a month's supply. Sucks, big time.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Any of the really good stuff is either by prescription only, or a controlled substance.

Most of it, except for Benzos are very expensive, like $50-60 for a month's supply. Sucks, big time.

Thanks for that
clarifys heaps for me, some of the names are familar
NZ Govt subsidy's mean we are likely to pay about 8$ - max 15$ for some of the prescription only, then thats for maybe 30 / 90 tabs, for say 3 months.
They dont go by the Qnty as per subsidy
Altho i doubt a decent Dr would allow you that much at once.
Next year i think they are working towards us being more in line with Australia re all Medicines.
Better buying power from the phamaceuticals apparently.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Who else here suffers from insomnia?

If so, what do you use to combat it?

Me, I've had scripts for Xanax, Ambien, and even some prescription Blood Pressure meds that make me drowsy. However, I'm without insurance, so....

Over the counter Benadryl doesn't work that well for me. Melatonin is OK, but really doesn't do the job, especially when I'm stressing.

I've found Celestial Seasonings "Tension Tamer" herbal tea makes me drowsy, but it doesn't stick, meaning two hours later, I'm wide awake.

I've also made a sort of "Tea" of 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, and 1 cup boiling water. Makes me drowsy, but doesn't always stick. See Tension Tamer.

Another thing that works surprisingly well, although I don't know if it was a combo, placebo effect or what, would be little cones of Piloncillo, which is Mexican brown sugar. Something about it would enhance the effects of any of my sleeping pills.

Yeah, booze works, but....it tends to rack out my stomach.

So, including medications, what are some things that you use to help combat insomnia?

Inquiring minds want to know...
I read and read and read and watch traffic cams then put on my sounds machine and listen to the trains you can create your own mix:smile:

Or just drink a few cups of coffee.......caffeine is not a problem for me and works in reverse making me drowsy not wide awake.

11ish

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
learning how to influence your heart rate with thought, get it to slow down and sometimes it works. like very relaxing thoughts. like ill imagine floating on seaweed in a warm ocean. or being in a dark barely visible light cave. also working out has helped me reduce my insomnia immensely. i also quit soft drinks completely, only tea, coffee, water, and occasionally beer/ wine i make at home

when i was 19, i stayed up for days on end, couldnt sleep. at one point i was up for almost 2 weeks, everything around me seemed out of place. road signs would stream with lag past me. and taking a shower with the water hitting me was the oddest feeling in the world. i asked my mom for a darvoset, and slept 14 hours.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
11ish
interesting how we all cope in differing ways re sleep, in particular
like its 3am NZ at the mo, and i have slept soundly, from about 8p to 1a, so OK wi that
can see myself remaining awake till maybe 5a odd, and will auto know i want to have another hour or so
have never called it insomina, nor disturbed sleeping pattern, just accepted it as how i am getting my sleep currently..when needed.

an interesting aside is ha
i tend to have the most wonderful beautiful peaceful restful n comfortable sleeps, for 3/4 days, 2 weekly on average, when i wash my sheets n pillowslips.....sleep like a sweet baby haha

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
AUGH!

4:30 and still can't sleep. Fell asleep for about an hour or two about 10:30/11. Wide awake since then.......

Will see the doctor Friday morn.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Trazodone just gives me dry mouth :sigh:
Ms. Maddie, what dose ya takin?

somehow insomnia got a key to my place.. asshole is a terrible house guest.. keeps me up all night :tongue1:

I occasionally take melatonin, I have 3mg pills. Doesn't help if I'm anxious about something, just if I randomly can't sleep. If I have too much on my brain it doesn't work. I have a chamomile/kava tea that is for stress relief that helps a little bit. I've been looking at getting tea that has valerian, lavender, chamomile, kava, and a bunch of other good for ya herbs. Bit expensive, though :\

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
It's drying my mouth and nose and eyes out big time! Each pill is 50mg and it says on the bottle to take 1-3 pills for sleep. I took 2 and then when I woke up about 9 hours later to go to the bathroom I took another one. Then I woke up about 12 hours later.

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What's great is that I have so much shit goin' on that my real life is starting to bleed into my (precious) dreamlife. Find myself gnawing on shit that's goin' on during the day even while I'm asleep. Half the time I wake up and don't even know what fuckin' day it is. *panic mode*

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't have problems sleeping; the exception is crossing the international dateline. My sleep is interrupted for about a week. I usually have a cup of tea and watch Murder She Wrote reruns in the middle of the night and I'm out like a light again.
I hope I never have chronic insomnia is sound horrible.

zephyr808

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
AUGH!

4:30 and still can't sleep. Fell asleep for about an hour or two about 10:30/11. Wide awake since then.......

Will see the doctor Friday morn.

I hope you are able to get some rest tonight, do you ever try having some classical music on in the background? If I have trouble going from almost asleep to there, I've found that if I can just barely hear the music it is actually soothing and can help coax it along. Turning your brain off is important too, if you are able to (I know there are times I can't). Good luck

concupisys

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i have had horrible sleeping patterns for my entire life, or at least as long as i can remember.... it's a combination of so many different things now (thankfully not any medications) that i need some form of libation in order to sleep at a regular time.... if i just go the natural route, my cycles of sleep have me up late constantly, then i'll only sleep 3 hours and be up all the next day well in to the wee hours again.... this pattern can last for days sometimes, and then my body just crashes out and i'll sleep for a solid 10-12 hours to recuperate.... i don't get crazy about it now since it's always been such a constant that i've just accepted it as my body's natural bio-rhythm.... but i must say: smoking pot really takes the edge off the wired-ness that can occur as a result of not sleeping properly for days on end....